Billy Joel Piano Man Musician Credits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by powerq, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powerq

powerq Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got the MoFi SACD of Piano Man. It may be the first version I've seen that lists the players. My LP back in the 70s had a plain white inner sleeve. My 80s CD had only a track list. Funny thing, though, I also had a book of the sheet music for the whole album. It had several studio pictures. The only one that stuck in my mind was one of Billy at the piano, surrounded by Jackson Browne, Dave Mason, and Frank Zappa.
    Any one else see this book/photo, or know any stories about the sessions? None of those three are listed. Maybe they just dropped by to hang out?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Zappa certainly didn't play on the album but the idea of him stopping by a Billy Joel session is interesting. I checked E-Bay but there is no sign of a vintage Piano Man songbook there, although there is apparently a newer Hal Leonard book for that album.

3. tages

tages Senior Member

The original "Piano Man" LP had a textured sleeve and an dark brown inner that listed the musicians.

I would love to see an original songbook for this album!

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

So near, so far. I found a copy of the songbook on Ebay and this photo is apparently Billy with Dave Mason - not sure who the other guy is.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found the photo (or a related photo) on this site: Roberta - Billy Joel

It is from the show Speakeasy in 1974. Zappa appeared on the show, but although the article at the above link identifies the guy at the right as Zappa, I think it is Freebo (bassist from Bonnie Raitt's band).

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and phillyal1 like this.
  6. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

my Piano Man lp (mid 80s) listed the musicians....

7. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Musician credits, which appear to be accurate, can be found here:

Piano Man (Billy Joel album) - Wikipedia

While Dave Mason, let alone Jackson Browne and Zappa (I suspect that’s not Zappa in the photo, but maybe... If he was on the same show) aren’t on the album (Or any Billy Joel albums) a fair number of well known players are. Most notably Eric Weissberg, Larry Carlton, Ron Tutt, Richard Bennett, and more.

Billy and Dave (and apparently Browne) were on that Speakeasy show together though, and I believe they were on some tour dates together during Billy’s early years (Somewhere in 1972-74, I think?).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Hep Alien likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The "Roberta" page above links to an article about that Speakeasy episode. Billy Joel, Dave Mason, Bonnie Raitt, Steve Miller, Danny O'Keefe, Freebo and Paul Williams were apparently all present. Host was Chip Monck.

From what I found online, Zappa was on a different episode, with Tom Waits, Clive Davis and Richard Perry.

Hep Alien, phillyal1 and Guy Smiley like this.
  9. Guy Smiley

That’s Paul Williams... The guy who wrote “Rainbow Connection,” “An Old Fashioned Love Song,” and many other well known songs. Not to mention a film actor, and a constant guest star of TV shows in the 70s and 80s:

Paul Williams (songwriter) - Wikipedia

I’ve been meaning to watch the recent documentary about Williams (“Paul Williams Still Alive”)... Apparently a clip from this very show, with Billy and Dave, appears in it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Guy Smiley

Zappa would seem an odd man out with all those more singer-songwriter types. Freebo in that pic above, for sure.

Sure looks like Jackson Browne in the background (On the left, behind Billy). Given how close he and Bonnie were (Still are) I’d bet he was there too.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I remember Chip Monk's show -- how can I see them again?

Guy Smiley likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Just watched an episode of ' The Crown ' last night where Queen Elizabeth asked her husband : " Who is this Billy Joe-el ?"

Guy Smiley likes this.
  13. Guy Smiley

My favorite show this year (The delightful “Ted Lasso” on Apple TV) mentions Billy too. Ted tells one of his soccer players that saying Billy live “never disappoints.” I concur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.