A Honeymooners Lost Episode (Ring Salesman)...HAS BEEN COLORIZED!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Frank Gannucci, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Gannucci

Frank Gannucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am going to record this before it gets pulled.

Splungeworthy and Greenalishi like this.
  2. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

And it looks like splagooie!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020
    Sneaky Pete and Greenalishi like this.
  3. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

watching this makes you appreciate they finally ended up with Audrey Meadows :agree:

Sean, Splungeworthy, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You can't colorize **** B&W kinescopes and have them come out well. They look like crap in B&W; they're still gonna look like crap in color. This is haaaaaaaaarible.

Now, if they colorized any of the Classic 39 episodes actually shot on sharp, 35mm negative film... those actually might look OK, provided they spent a lot of time and money on them. Which I tend to doubt they'll do.

5. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I don’t understand why someone bothered with this.

Vidiot, Saint Johnny, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

It looks like someone coloured outside of the lines. If I ever need to self-induce a headache I'll watch on repeat.

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm waiting for the 3-D version (and yes, I do have a 3-D refrigerator).

numer9 likes this.
  8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Looks pretty strange. Jackie looks thinner- is that a result of the colorization?

Who is the actress playing Alice?

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

From wikipedia:

The Honeymooners originally appeared as a sketch on the DuMont Network's Cavalcade of Stars, with the role of Alice played by Pert Kelton (1907–1968). When his contract with DuMont expired, Gleason moved to the CBS network where he had The Jackie Gleason Show, and the Alice role went to Audrey Meadows because Kelton had been blacklisted. According to playwright Arthur Miller, a family friend, writing many years later in his autobiography Timebends: A Life, extensive inquiries finally revealed that her blacklisting was due to the fact that her husband Ralph had, many years earlier, marched in a May Day parade. “Ralph, I knew, had absolutely no leftist connections whatever but had simply thrown himself in with a gang of actors protesting whatever it was that year, and Pert had never even voted in her life”.

slipkid and Jack Lord like this.
  10. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Vincent Furnier.

Chad75 and cloggedmind like this.
  11. Frank Gannucci

Pert Kelton is Alice here.

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And someone asked him why the singers name was Alice....

13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Low-res compressed footage run through automatic colourization software. In other words. Garbage in, slightly altered garbage out.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's essentially what colorization is: it's another layer of picture that's superimposed on top of the image. If they don't synchronize and composite it exactly right, it looks like they're coloring outside the lines (literally).

I think with perfect B&W source material, it's possible to do pretty good colorization, but you'd have to spend a ton of time and money to get it done. And morally, this falls into the "just because we can doesn't mean we should" area. As I said before, it ain't gonna happen with crappy 1950s kinescopes.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

What exactly is the purpose of colorizing this (no purpose)?

16. Frank Gannucci

Well it’s to see what the episode looks like in color. It’s a novelty. I recorded it so now I have it saved.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What is the purpose of painting your house yellow, when all others on the block are green?

Perhaps, like most practitioners of craft, the person who did it just wanted to see if he could do it, how it would turn out, and whether he could get better at the craft through practice.

Or, he could had just done it to irritate people who have no affinity for the sentence above. It's not like the original is gone or anything.

18. The Wanderer

Irrelevant analogy.

So the practitioner did the work pro bono. Makes sense to me.

19. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

But, it's "Re-Masteredized"!

In this case, it's a lame attempt to try to build up a YouTube channel and monetize it using free software and old films that one can presume or pretend are all public domain.

Taking old, blurry Digi-View dvd's, adding blobs of flickering orange color and dumping the lo-rez files into a hi-rez container doth not equal 4k HD, as this and so many other YouTubers claim.

Aaaitch-Deee, my foot!

Chris DeVoe and Vidiot like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't even know whether the practitioner did the work pro bono, so that's irrelevant as well.

I was just sticking up for the notion that using a legitimate craft of colorization on a years-in-public-domain sample, has no reason to make anybody judgmental, just because they have the notion that colorization is "the devil".

21. The Wanderer

I never said and do not think that colorization is the devil; I do believe that in most cases it is unnecessary and pointless, which is in no way judgmental.

Jack Lord likes this.
  22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

No, there's a handful of episodes where he's remarkably thin. I've never watched all the episodes in chronological order, but I assume from this that they're mostly the earliest ones.

Jack Lord likes this.
  23. Frank Gannucci

It has been removed. But I did record it.

24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

What if they ran all the "Lost Episodes" through "Live Feed" and then colorized them?

I'm half-serious here. If someone wants to colorize something, be my guest as long as it doesn't "replace" the original version. But I really would like to see "Live Feed" or a comparable process applied to stuff like this (i.e. kinescope footage).

25. Frank Gannucci

That would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.