The War On Drugs - Live Drugs (Nov 20, 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gnomby, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macuzr

macuzr Forum Resident

I have both the vinyl and CD versions. The DR of the disk (CD) is horrible DR6. I am a huge fan of TWOD. I wished they put out a six LP version at 45rpm. But alas can you name any contemporary artists that care about dynamic range?

Carlox, mattdm11 and jay.dee like this.
  2. macuzr

macuzr Forum Resident

Where did you purchase the hi-res from? Qobuz? Thanks. That is the only place I've seen it. My usual go to Acoustic Sounds doesn't have it yet.

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

This is a fantastic record. I've been hearing about TWOD for quite a while but haven't gotten around to giving them a listen. This has a really great sound. The pressing (black vinyl) is also pretty darn good. I need to dig deeper now.

jalexander and CCrider92 like this.
  4. Henny

Henny Forum Resident

I saw them 3 times live during the tours for A Deeper Understanding and they were incredible, sounded fantastic with really passionate performances. I almost flew down to the Hollywood Bowl to see them but couldn't get anyone to go with me. I threw down for this, looking forward to listening, if it sounds half as good as they did live I'm into it.

5. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

The album sounds great, but it doesn't exactly convey an impassioned performance, imo. Maybe I'll have to check out some live videos somewhere.

6. Henny

Henny Forum Resident

Certainly possible. To me, their shows are as much a visual experience as well as sonic, which is very refreshing.

bloodlemons likes this.
  7. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I would argue get rid of the word contemporary. It's rare anyone has anything with dynamic range. And I love the fanboys for the older artists who don't understand anything about it blindly sticking up for the band saying oh that's the way they intended it. Really? So the artists just all happen to decide to squash their music and they all collectively thought that in the mid 90s. OK.

I firmly believe that at least subconsciously, the squashing dynamic range and compression is the reason music isn't the force it once was 25+ years ago. Certainly the internet changed the way we listen, but I really think people turn off new music because it sounds so terrible sonically. They get ear fatigue and they don't even know it.

I didn't think the FLAC files were bad, hell DR6 is decent for nowadays. If it's anywhere from 6-10 I'm thrilled. Lots are 3-5, and rate to get above 10.

Bill_H likes this.
  8. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Gonna add to the chorus of support for “Lost In A Dream”; it’s a genuine all-time great for me.

Decided to save some money and get the CD of “Live Drugs” instead of vinyl. Figured it was gonna be quite digital anyway with the way it was recorded and edited together. Also it’s sequenced to represent a live show so thought the continuousness of the CD format would suit it. Also think having to turn over every 2-3 tracks on “A Deeper Understanding” held me back from getting into as much. Wondering if I’ve made a mistake though.

granata, jalexander and CCrider92 like this.
  9. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Oh 'eck, why? I haven't got a record player so cd's the only option for me.

I was hoping that, with it being live, they couldn't try and compress 427 different instruments into the mix, like they did on A Deeper Understanding.

Carlox and CCrider92 like this.
  10. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Modern artists frequently have their live (CD) releases crushed by compression, e.g. Gary Clark Jr, My Morning Jacket, King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard, etc I think that I have already got used to this kind of modern live production where the sound is compressed and the mix is weird. I have a feeling that they do think live album is supposed to sound that way to reflect (poor) acoustics typical to many (loud) rock concerts.

Other than that it is a great release overall.

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I haven't purchased the album yet. I'm waiting to see if it shows up on Bandcamp. If it's not going to show up on Bandcamp I'll get it from Qobuz. So far Qobuz has been the only place I've seen the high-res version available.

12. Ham Sandwich

I just got impatient and bought the high-res version from Qobuz. Turns out the high-res download is actually only 24-bit 44.1 kHz. It is not 24-bit 96 kHz. I'll contact Qobuz support to let them know the download version is not what the album page says. There may be a good reason why Qobuz is the only place saying the album is available in 24/96.

The good news is that I've got a full glass of imperial IPA and some new Live Drugs to enjoy.

Xander2017 and bloodlemons like this.
  13. Henny

Henny Forum Resident

This is your brain. This is your brain on IPA and Drugs. Any questions?

14. Ham Sandwich

I've renamed the album to "Liquid Drugs". It's a two Imperial IPA album.
    It's a good album. Very much enjoying.

15. Ham Sandwich

The album is compressed. The DR numbers are not something to brag about. But the album still has a strong sense of forward momentum and energy. It has, dare I say, PRaT. The music is driving forward. Always taking you to what is to come. Never lagging into what was.

16. Ham Sandwich

OK. Now I see what happened with the Qobuz download. All of the tracks are in 24/44.1 except for track #4 "Red Eyes". Red Eyes is in 24/96.

So Qobuz sees one track in 24/96 and says the album is in 24/96
    The reality is that all of the other tracks are in 24/44.1

Why did Red Eyes get uploaded to Qobuz in 24/96?

17. ArcticFoxes

ArcticFoxes Well-Known Member

This version of Under the Pressure is probably one of the best songs i have ever heard in my life. When Charlies drums kick in, and the guitar...Sweet jesus, goosebumps all over. All in all, i am pleased with the song choices. Buenos Aires Beach is a gorgeous little piece, that suits the live setting more than in studio.
    Eyes to the wind is gorgeous. Strangest thing must be hard to replicate live, but i think they do a nice job of it. I would have added something more from Slave Ambient and maybe In Chains and it would have been perfect.

ARK, Stone Turntable, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Any musicians here listen to the album and know what's going on? To me it sounds like the rhythm section (drums and bass) are playing slightly ahead of the beat. Which creates a sense of forward drive and forward momentum. Is that is what is going on? Whatever it is they're doing when playing live it crates a sense of forward drive that makes me want to drink more beer while listening to the album. This was almost a 3 Imperial IPA album. But I couldn't manage to hit pause on the album to go to the fridge to get a third beer.

CCrider92 and jay.dee like this.
  19. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

My CD is arriving today so can’t comment from experience yet but I noticed people seem really happy with the vinyl, maybe less so with the CD. I’m not as sensitive to compression as some so hopefully it’ll sound fine.

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Just finishing listening to the lp live set for the second time. I've been waiting for this for a long time. Not disappointed though a 3 lp set would have ramped me up even more. Hope Adam and the guys put out more live stuff soon! Like others have said, it has the feel of always driving forward, charging ahead. Great song selections! Very competent musicianship - The Deep Understanding tracks are not buried in electronics as they are in the studio set. I'll give Deeper Understanding another try soon - I've just not been able to get into it for 3 years now. Quality of the vinyl and packaging is excellent.

Stone Turntable and jay.dee like this.
  21. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Had a look on the Dynamic Range Database. The DR's for the last 3 cd's (and downloads) are
    - Lost In A Dream DR8
    - A Deeper Understanding DR5
    - Live Drugs DR6

Oh great.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Gave A Deeper Understanding another listen today - I liked it a bit more but way too cluttered for me - to0 many sounds/noises from too many electronic devices - Adam's vocals and guitar often buried/suppressed as well as the other guys' instruments - cluttered, very unnecessarily cluttered - it's why I've got trouble with the Moody Blues and much of progressive rock - and the E Street Band with it's "big" sound. Some people have posted that the vinyl Deeper Understanding is more airy - more separation between all the devices and instruments. I don't think I'll spend the money to find out though unless I find a real cheapo somewhere.

23. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I think the mix on A Deeper Understanding is on of the reasons I like it so much. There is a homogeneity to the sound that just washes over me along with the vocals.

Separation isn't always what you want, just ask Phil Spector.

Alan57 likes this.
  24. Ham Sandwich

Important correction. The Qobuz high-res download of "Live Drugs" is in 24/96 for all tracks.

I contacted support to ask what was going on. Support emailed me back saying the album was in all 24/96 and gave me a screenshot of the download page to back that up. So I went back to my order page to re-download the album. And lo and behold the download options were in 24/96. I downloaded the album again and all the files really are in 24/96. I don't know what happened last night with the download. Maybe a server having a glitch. The download I just did this evening is in all 24/96. I also checked the files with Spek (a spectrum analyzer) and all of the files have content above 22 kHz. So they're real high-res.

So good news. The Qobuz high-res downloads are in 24/96.

And more good news. I have to listen to the album again tonight to listen to the 24/96 version. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. I've got more IPA. This is going to be another glorious evening listening to music and drinking strong IPAs.

jy3iix and craigobau like this.
  25. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This record is ****ing unbelievable. The greatest hits of WOD, performed the best they’ve ever played em, on a killer-sounding pressing. What a slam ****ing dunk! Can’t wait to hear the next studio album but this will most definitely satisfy me until then. A+!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.