Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I love the audio of the concert from the DVD. The CDs sounds punchier and more compressed to me and I do like it — but the audio from the DVD is clear and relaxed— I prefer hearing it this way. Having this too really makes Live in Maui a great release for me. I wish they had figured out a way to include the two minute intro of the Hey Baby from the first set — that is some dazzling playing from James Marshall Hendrix!

2. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Yeah and I think Entwistle said that ‘76 was The Who at their best live but I think a lot of fans would strongly disagree.

squittolo likes this.
  3. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

That BOG 1st set Hear My Train is a scorcher!

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

How could I forget? My #5 should've been the San Jose Pop version from 1969! Yowsa!!

vinyldreams, DTK and Purple Jim like this.
  5. Bump. Anyone?

6. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Kurt I am pretty sure you have the raw camera feed that has circulated for a long time of Voodoo Child through Fire from the Hey Joe tree. Even Mike Parker took this footage on his edit and mixed in Rainbow Bridge footage with the raw camera footage similar to what EH appears to have done. Now my memory may be failing me so I will have to dig out the raw footage (and by the way my copy is horrible quality) and see if some of the angles from the raw footage are not in this release. One thing is for sure Voodoo Child on this release uses multiple camera angles. My memory of the Hey Joe tree footage is it was all one camera feed which would indeed mean when EH uses other camera angles during the footage in the same places of the song they are obviously not using the angles from the raw footage from the circulating video at that time.

7. Experiencereunited

I always wished we could get some of those studio mixes from the Rainbow Bridge film released properly.

Kurt Max, kanakaris and crozcat like this.
  8. Experiencereunited

To me Red House is the best of material previously uncirculated on this release. Great version, Great camera work and they got the whole song on video. I really like the camera work on this Red House.

Have yet to listen to the vinyl. Been focused on watching the video stuff.

Can anyone identify where the BW footage is from in the documentary? Also where is the footage of him in the white shirt (that is not the Atlanta or Miami footage which are also in the doc) from.

jhm likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It doesn't contain the actual Rainbow Bridge film, so no. I'm not familiar with the DVD so I don't know of any "extras" on it that might be on this new release.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. Experiencereunited

Concerning "All Cameras Turned Off". The way they did this is certainly better than BOG where the video and the audio stop in effect creating a harsh cut. So credit there to the improvement in relation to the BOG video.

Still personally I would rather have seen surfing footage, stills, crowd pictures or other related footage during the nothing captured times. I realize there are some long stretches to fill in places but I think it could have been done quite well as already evidenced by Mike Parker's edit. Mike Parker's edit contained this kind of stuff plus Strange Day on Maui footage with the Rainbow Bridge footage and some of the raw camera footage. I really love his edit. The ultimate fan video in my mind would be to combine the RB Gemini twins material and opening crowd Ohms footage, the new material here and Mike Parkers edit all into one and as bonus footage the raw camera footage from the Voodoo Child section without the multiple angles. I am sure someone will probably take this on at some point

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    ChazFromCali likes this.
  11. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

BOG blew my face off first time I heard it and still love it - might be my fave version. Surprised me that band of Gypsies only played hear my train once considering how good they ripped it. Berkeley gets to fight with it for that honor as well.

miami 68 didn’t really do it for me for whatever reason, I dunno that version just didn’t have that oomph for me. Maui certainly beats that one to my ears.

DTK and SG47 like this.
  12. Why did the drums need to be overdubbed? That's the only thing giving me pause about ordering this.

13. Thank you. I’ll be keeping the original RB DVD then. :tiphat:

jhm likes this.
  14. Experiencereunited

The Weather and possibly the location as well caused the drum tracks to not be recorded very well. They are mostly faint at best throughout. Modern tech has helped Eddie bring out those tracks better on the tracks Mitch didn't already overdub drums on. So this release has a mix of overdubbed drums and non overdubbed drums. The recordings of the vocals, Jimi's guitar and Billy's bass are fine it is just the drum recording that had issues.

squittolo and Mark E. Moon like this.
  15. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Nice to see Mitch's wife clearly sitting on stage directly behind Mitch in the 2nd set footage.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The overall recording still has a somewhat distant and boomy feel to it. It would have been challenging seamlessly overdubbing guitar and vocals over the recordings circa 1970, as such, I am skeptical that the Maui recordings ultimately would have been used as part of the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack album.

Kim Olesen, DTK and SG47 like this.
  17. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Mitch is featured in the doc. He died in 2008 so I wonder how long they have had this in the can?

905 and Experiencereunited like this.
  18. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

One time when I was talking with Mitch I mentioned the Maui show as a favorite of mine. He said the usual about technical issues but added that his personal favorite show ever was Red Rocks Colorado 1968.

squittolo, ChazFromCali, Mook and 7 others like this.
  19. Experiencereunited

Chuck Wein died in 2008 as well. So either they pulled in old interviews or they have had it in the can for quite a while.

20. Experiencereunited

Red Rocks is a great venue most artists step up their game there. Too bad no recording of Jimi. I am sure they were probably inspired as most artists are when they play there. I thought I read somewhere someone did make a tape of Red Rocks but lost it. Could be wishful thinking though or my memory playing tricks on me.

ChazFromCali, Kurt Max and SG47 like this.
  21. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I am fully convinced Jimi was frying big time at San José. Every track is unique and unhinged. I say that in a good way.

KipB, ChazFromCali and jhm like this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There's a guy locally that supposedly made a tape and shared it with at least one guy. The guy who got the CD-R has misplaced it in his collection and I never see him anymore. I have never broached the subject with the taper.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Experiencereunited likes this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I've seen them use footage from the same interview session across multiple releases. I suspect they just had his responses from many years back still when they conducted a comprehensive interview. Same with Buddy Miles. I've seen the interview where he's wearing the bowler hat across multiple home video releases.

vinyldreams, SG47 and DTK like this.
  24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I prefer the originally released version from the "Ken Voss" tape from years ago. It's a very wide stereo mix and Noel's bass sounds rich and full. I'm not a fan of Kramer's mix for that show; it's not too far from mono IMO; a very narrow stereo field. I like Jimi's outro solo on that Miami HMT as well.

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think "Train" didn't really his its stride until 1969, when Jimi added the middle eight and the actual chorus (as least I don't recall him playing that in 1968).
    I bet this is a song Jimi had up his sleeve for a long time, pre 1967.

Greenblues likes this.