Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality, artwork, etc.: "All Alone" - 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2014.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

zoltantamas, MMM, paulmock and 2 others like this.
  2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I always thought it was because of the lawsuit from Capitol over "Swing Along With Me" to where the title was changed to "Sinatra Swings" and didn't want another lawsuit from Capitol. The title is too similar to 'Come Fly With Me".

3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I have it too with the blue and green "serious Frank" deep grooved label in both mono and stereo plus three mint white label promos.
    Of all...ALL of Sinatra's LP's that's one of the least played albums in my collection next to The World We Knew, Cycles and some of the Columbia's. I need to give it another listen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    zoltantamas likes this.
  4. CBackley

I was so excited to hear this rare test pressing of All Alone. Imagine my surprise when I put it on and I hear “Goody Goody.” I flip it over and it’s “Tangerine.” :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::confused::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::confused::shake:

MLutthans likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Does the Test pressing sound any better than any of the other sources we've heard from Sinatra & Swingin' Brass ?????

You can either enjoy a rare misprinted test pressing or return it for being "not as advertised".

MLutthans likes this.
  6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Bummer, but at least its a Sinatra album!

CBackley likes this.
  7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I don't think it's misprinted, this test pressing just got put in the wrong test pressing sleeve.

8. CBackley

The label is totally blank. The seller claimed to have listened to it and that it sounded great. I don’t know how they didn’t notice that the songs all seemed to have different titles than what was written on the sleeve.

Also, it sounds crappy. It has numerous surface marks.

9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Besides the wrong record, this alone is reason to send it back.

MLutthans likes this.
  10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Interesting that there was an ad in the Oct 6 1962 Billboard for All Alone

[​IMG]

Yet they were still in the test pressing stage on Oct 9 1962

[​IMG]

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

You have every right to return it. It all depends on what your collector mind feels.

12. CBackley

I already got my refund. It’s all good. I’m just mad because I can’t find a really nice, quiet sounding copy of All Alone.

paulmock likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

CBackley, neither can I. My one time I did find one, playable but no better.

14. CBackley

I finally got one! Nice playing stereo copy. What a beautiful album. And the cover art is great on an LP jacket.

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

For those of you historically oriented, these next three (USA) evenings mark the 60th anniversary of the recording of one of Mr. S's "lost in the shuffle" albums:

[​IMG]

Recorded January 15-17, 1962 at United Studios on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood 8:00-11:00PM each night.

Personally, I LOVE this album and think it deserves more honor in that iconic catalogue of Mr. S'.

AaronW, Jimmy Jam, MLutthans and 10 others like this.
  16. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

An album almost entirely dedicated to the musical universe of Irving Berlin. Five tracks on the album are his compositions. I love the performance of "The Song Is Ended".

CBackley likes this.
  17. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

"The Song Is Ended" is, for me, the icing on the cake of this album.

18. Emperor of Mount Victoria

Emperor of Mount Victoria Forum Resident

The title track of “All Alone” is particularly haunting, especially with the singer in the background

AaronW, sharedon and Artur Torres like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

She may make it "haunting", I agree. But I think it was a mistake to add her voice to the record, and I am surprised that FS agreed to include it (perhaps he did not want it there, despite the fact that it was his label). Maybe Frank was trying to experiment with that sound. To me, it took away from the record overall.

jtsjc1 and paulmock like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I think that the solo female vocal was used very tastefully by having her on only the opening and closing tracks. I think brings about closure by taking the album in a full circle. There are some absolutely gorgeous songs on this album, heartbreakingly so. "Since I Lost You"..... What a sad, sad song, especially in the context of it's creation.

McLover, roda12, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That "female voice" is none other than one of the "Champagne Music Makers". (To quote Lawrence Welk himself) She is "the lovely Norma Zimmer!

[​IMG]

And, for the record, I think her voicings on "All Alone" & "The Song is Ended" are just perfect! BTW, her name can be found several times in the Sinatra catalogue as she was also in vocal choruses.

roda12, AaronW, Artur Torres and 2 others like this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

From another thread:

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Certainly not on the same level...but as Nancy points out in My Father, Mr. S's friend comedian Ernie Kovacs was killed in an automobile accident days before the sessions. Mr. S served as a pallbearer for Ernie on the morning of Jan. 15th which was mere hours before the 8PM session's start. So he was definitely in a melancholy mood for this album's creation. Listening to the session tapes, he definitely has issues with his voice and is not his usual back-slapping ring-a-ding self. But maybe...just maybe the tragic loss of a good friend set him up to be in the saddened state needed to interpret these ballads.

McLover, hodgo, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  24. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just listening again to this beautiful album. Always loved it. Very unique in the Sinatra canon. It almost has a „turn of the century“ mood to it. Like Henry James‘ „Washington Square“, when New York was full of horse-drawn carriages.

25. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have always felt that Sinatra should have included the song " I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now " on this album. I can just hear Sinatra singing it with a lovely Gordon Jenkins arrangement.