Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

There's a rectangle above the months with a white point.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Try giving it a few refreshes, that did the trick for me. I've listened to all 5 - enjoy!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  3. minne

minne Forum Resident

Look for this:
    [​IMG]
    And then click on the "bar code"

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

A-ha! I’ve been clicking on the little diamond thingy and only getting a pop up info card. Will try the bar code.

JoeRockhead and RayS like this.
  5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yeah, it took me over a half hour and two posts to get help from the kind folks here.

JoeRockhead and Stone Turntable like this.
  6. Nipy

Nipy Active Member

Look for itinerary books above tours in 1989, 2001, 2008/2009, 2013 and 2016 to see tour itineraries,

7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

A lot of the Volume 2 songs have videos available from the info cards. Mostly just images of record players spinning away with some appropriate photos and such. If these were indeed created a few years ago, it is more evidence that this might have gotten a blu ray release had it been scheduled earlier.

8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The book,though updated, is also old with all the references to the Homegrown's "unreleased songs".

9. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

The Odeon/Budokan disc included in NYA Vol. II was briefly listed as PS 06, but that designation has now been removed. I wonder if there will be a separate release with an expanded track listing later.

Anyone want to hazard a guess for SRS 03-05? I had originally thought that Odeon/Budokan would be an SRS disc since it was apparently prepared for release in 1976, but maybe it will be a PS disc after all.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Listening in awe to the 3/9/2013 Alchemy Tour Australia show via the Timeline Concert streaming from the NYA. I was at the first Alchemy show (and the first Crazy Horse show in eight years I believe) way back in August 2012 in Albuquerque, one of the great experiences of my life. This Aussie show seven months later is smoking hot.

I've been digging the Archives site on and off from day one but right now it's just ridiculous, the way we're all hitting the jackpot — what a musical gift for a long dark winter.

11. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

That also now explains to me now why Midnight On The Bay and Stringman as live tracks from Hammersmith Odeon are on Look Out For My Love and not OB where there would be more than enough space for them. The length of the O-B disc is also perfect for a vinyl album, side one ending with Stringman. Couldn’t work that one out at first. Paul Gase writing on NYUA also noticed edits (and very possible vocal overdubs). He writes "So, like Homegrown, this doesn’t include all songs but rather the one Neil and Briggs selected back in 1976. My guess is Hurricane wasn’t selected because Neil was still sitting on the studio version and he was hot to get that out before a live version." Great point. I can't find if he has written that here too. Paul? (Hoffman and scrolling back endlessly to find things... tell me about it!)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  12. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I went to 3 shows in Melbourne on that tour and they filmed one, but Neil has already said it won’t be used for the Alchemy release unfortunately.

13. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Is anyone experiencing problems with the playlist function? I had made a couple of playlists a while back, but they seem to have disappeared.

14. Rasselas

Questions to ask, points to make: What version number do you see at the end of the very bottom line on the home and menu pages? I think this needs to be 4.0.8 at least but I can't check if that is true - too late! But maybe not, so try the following first and if you don't see the white symbols as described, then log out of NYA and log in again, maybe even clearing your browser of cookies and perhaps even restarting it. One way or another you should now see the white symbols (tour books) on the Timeline, best found in "zoom-in" mode unless you have 20/20 eyesight! But, and this is important for your listening pleasure, you must zoom out again to be able to actually click on the "bar code" immediately underneath the now tiny symbols to actually get the magic pop up window that leads to nirvana. On one or two of the tour log lists, you need to scroll quite a way down to see the highlighted show. Only NYA could make it this difficult. Happy hunting.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yes yes and yes.

neilpatto likes this.
  16. Rasselas

You are not alone. They are either come and go at will, so be patient, log out/log in again etc. Or they have gone and may come back on their own. Or they have gone and may not come back and you might have to start all over again! I suggest you don't then make too many in case this happens again! Only on NYA etc. etc.......

neilpatto likes this.
  17. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming.

Yes, I guess anything is possible on NYA :D

I will make sure to keep old fashioned lists if I come up with any playlists in future.

Back to the glory of Archives II :cool:

tug_of_war and Rasselas like this.
  18. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Has anybody mentioned that the infocard for Cortez contains a manuscript of an actual missing verse?

19. Rasselas

And there's the extra verse he sang in Hamburg 2003:
    The ship is breaking up on the rocks / With a sandy beach so close / The ship is breaking up on the rocks / With a sandy beach so close

20. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

I asked my questions in a different forum thread but I did not receive an answer. I would have come here in the first place but I just now discovered this thread. Here's my questions:
    Concerning the Fireside Sessions videos [on the Neil Young Archives] during Spring of 2020:
    Question 1 Did Neil Young play Little Wing on guitar or piano during Fireside Session #1 in March 2020?
    Question 2 Did Neil Young play Little Wing on guitar or piano during Fireside Session #6 in June 2020?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

NY has told the story that this verse wasn't included on the Zuma version because the power to the recording console had temporarily cut out, and when he found out he decided it was fine to just leave it out because it was his least favorite verse of the song. I can kinda see why:

[​IMG]

22. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I can provide a DL link to anyone wanting to hear this extra verse.

23. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

No, what you're saying doesn't make sense because Chrome Dreams is a bootleg so whoever selected Sedan Delivery to go on it wasn't Neil.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. Rasselas

The separate entry "[Talking]" in the session listings in the V2 book is interesting. It is listed as an SIR take recorded on 24 Aug 1973 during the TTN sessions and not marked as lost. Most recently Neil has said: "You are looking for the raps between songs that were edited out and subsequently LOST! We are going to rebuild that one. No schedule yet for a release. Unfinished……".
    And Get Around from 1973 though not recorded?
    And why are only Mellow My Mind and Albuquerque listed for the August Topanga Corral shows, unfortunately as "not recorded" though, when 6 other major songs had their first outing there.
    Still working through the listings!

Heart of Gold and Biscuit1970 like this.
  25. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

True, what we have is a bootleg release, but it was all pulled from an acetate that was compiled at the time by Neil and/or someone on his team (Jimmy McDonough’s Shakey confirms this). Whether that would have been the absolute final version of the album if it had been released isn’t 100% certain, but the fact that they put that version of “Sedan Delivery” on an acetate version shows that they thought that take was worthy of an official release at some point.