Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I own an AN-S8/Lo and it has hard wired Pallas on the back. I have had it for the last few years. It is my understanding that they have been hard wiring them for the last few years.

finn likes this.
  2. finn

finn Forum Resident

There were 3 emails and the first related to dealers and distributors contacting Andy G and Darko G directly to ask information about the new products under development and consuming their time in answering multiple times the same information and that it was to stop along with any requests for custom modification work from the factory other than cosmetic. AN then sent out a blanket 2nd email covering all the new components and their respective details and stages of development. The 3rd email related to prioritising manufacture to complete as many orders received from EU countries as possible before 31st December due to lack of an in place agreement and the possibility of stock being held in limbo in transit after that date. This only applied to the UK finished product.
    Peter and Martin will of course continue as they always have in answering emails and enquiries as they have done with much enthusiasm.

3. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

the best part of the notifications was the news on the Legend Project. we were lucky enough to hear them (with the DA100 valves ... although the final amp may be better?) and PQs description of it compared to current state of the art is spot on. once again, Audio Note has moved the sonic goal posts. and they have so many more exciting projects in the works. it will be another good year.

Don Parkhurst and backeast like this.
  4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Richard thanks I have to say that's one of the best written audio reviews I've read. Mr Strauss seemed to thoroughly understand the why of the circuit design and clearly explains it to the reader in concise fashion. Could someone now please send this to Jeff Day! :p

Salectric likes this.
  6. Richard Austen

I was also really impressed with this Audio Note AX Two review in that I rarely see someone take the product apart like this and show what's inside and talk about the history of the drivers!

Audio Note AX-Two stand-mounted loudspeakers

Andrew Mackay and jonwoody like this.
  7. jonwoody

Thanks Richard that was quite entertaining also and another reviewer with good technical chops.

8. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

M2 RIAA phonostage problem. Help me troubleshoot.
    After a year and a half of having no turntable, I finally bought one that will keep me happy until I can save up again for the AN TT3.

However, when I plugged everything in there was no sound. None.
    I rearranged the interconnects into different inputs/outputs. No change.
    I put in an old phono stage. That produced sound. Great!
    I plugged everything back identically in the M2. Nothing again.
    It seems to be a problem with the phonostage. The right top side runs warm theough the vents. Tubes working.
    The left side is cool. Tubes not working?
    I used the m2 for about a year before it sat unused while i was waiting for a new turntable.
    If it's the tubes what should i replace them with to see if that is the problem.
    Im struggling to get the chassis off the amp to see everything up close. It dowsn't look like a phillips screw driver. I'll try alan wrench
    Thanks all

9. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Update:
    I was able to access the internals. Tunes seem to be working. Everything looks good. But not even a squeak of sound.
    Unless I’m overlooking something blindingly obvious I may need a mechanic to look at it. Is there an authorized AN mechanic on the west coast? Anyone have success with Nick Gowan of true sound? Or anyone know anyone in the Portland Oregon area that could give it a good look?
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  10. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Well in the blinding obvious category... double check the input and output are hooked up correctly on the phone stage. Meaning TT to input and output to pre amp. Hope you get it off figured out soon.

11. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Thanks Joe. Double checked it twice. Not the problem though. Appreciate the help.

Don Parkhurst and Joe Spivey like this.
  12. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

one of the best guys I have worked with!

13. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Awesome! Thank you

14. Don Parkhurst

You already may have, but....go through all of the obvious options.

Is it plugged in? Did the circuit breaker pop for that outlet that you’re using? Are the interconnects a problem? Do they work elsewhere in your system?

Does the M2 RIAA light up when powered on? Usually there is a fuse near the power input and possibly another fuse to check as well. Inspect the fuses closely, you can’t always see that a fuse is damaged unless you look closely.

Check each tube to see if any look like they have died. As you have no sound out of either channel, my guess is a blown fuse.

On your preamp did you check each and every input for sound. I have plugged components into the wrong input more than once! Did you have your power amp on when playing the record? I forgot to do that recently. I thought that something was wrong with my system but I just forgot to turn on the mono blocks!

Tlay and Fred Hansen like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Another technician who is very capable is Aaron Anderson at Soundhounds in Victoria, BC. He has don’t work for me in the past and is very capable. I would trust him with anything AN. Also, he would probably give you good suggestions to check before shipping for repair. DM me if you would like his email.

Tlay and Fred Hansen like this.
  16. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Thanks Don for the help. got it straightened out. I’d tell you what the problem was but I’m embarrassed for being such an idiot.
    just glad the amp is singing like it used to!! Love Audio Note gear!

17. Richard Austen

Well now we MUST know lol :)

18. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Almost everyone in audio for any length of time has a story about a problem that was really a case of operator error. I have a pair of Kageki monoblocs. When I listen to headphones, I move the interconnects from my linestage from the Kageki's to my headphone amplifier. One day, I turned on the Kageki and realized that the interconnects were going into the headphone amp and not the Kagekis. I never move interconnects on an operating amp, so, I shut the Kagekis down, made the switch and turned them back on. Because I did not give enough time between turning the amps off and then on again, I saw a flash in the rectifier of one of the monoblocs. That same amp now produced no sound. Because the amp lit up, I knew it was not the fuse. I did not do other diagnostics, like switching the tubes around for fear of causing further damage. I took the "bad" amp to my dealer, where they plugged into a system and fired it up, with no apparent problem. I brought it home, plugged it back into its place, and again, it was not working. This time, I went about switching things around to diagnose the problem. It turned out that the spade on the speaker wire had come loose at the speaker end, but I could not see this because the terminal has a plastic shroud that still held the wire in place even if it was not connected. It was a one in a million failure that just happened to coincidentally happen about the same time I witnessed the rectifier flash and drew the wrong conclusion.

19. roole

roole Forum Resident

Did someone on this thread has experienced AN Es tweeter failure? I mean it just stopped working one day. Both speakers now at the factory because you cannot simply replace one tweeter (matching issues). Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  20. slcaudiophile

that is unusual. i have not heard of it happening. maybe you could have them upgrade the internal wire in your speakers while they are there :). just a thought ...

did you ever get your M5 sorted?

21. roole

roole Forum Resident

Will change paper woofers to hemp.

Nope, still buzzing when phono input selected.

22. slcaudiophile

23. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

..........it may be if you can get past him using the full name, version & description of the CD player and Oto continuously. To be fair, it’s only the first page, not like in the Oto review from a while back.

Kimiimacman and jonwoody like this.
  24. jonwoody

I said to someone recently there's not much being written about Audio Note in English these days but Jeff is trying to fix that with his word counts. :D :p

25. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

It wasn’t until page 4 he really talked about the CD player. Boy, he’s hard to read these days!
    He was a much better writer back in 2003 when he wrote for 6 Moons

jonwoody and DeeKay like this.