Zavvi: Best of Jazz Starter Kit - All Time Classics Albums – Set of 10 Mystery Vinyl LP

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by atlantasteven, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got:

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Getz/Gilberto - Stan Getz Joao Gilberto
    Max Roach plust Four - Quiet As It's Kept
    Cannonball Adderly - Something Else
    Bill Evans - Trio 64
    Charlie Haden - Liberation Music Orchestra
    Dexter Gordon - Go
    Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Drum Suite
    Duke Ellington Charlie Mingus Max Roach - Money Jungle

Looks like price is up to $60 + shipping now. Am going to wait, hoping for less duplicates.

2. jazz i like

jazz i like New Member

I ordered this pack and due to Hermes being so bad around my city it was returned to Zavvi - whose customer service isn’t much better.

As the price of the pack has jumped up they are refusing to honour the original price.

such a shame as it seems like you all have pretty good selections

3. Rondegrundt

Rondegrundt Well-Known Member

Zavvi customer service seems actually not compliant at all...They clearly don't want to assume Hermes errors.
    The best you can do is to insist very loudly via live chat...Sometimes it works.

4. jazz i like

jazz i like New Member

I must not had been loud enough

:(

5. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

yeah go on there facebook page about this from zavvi

6. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Ok mine Just arrived I got

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Getz/Gilberto - Stan Getz Joao Gilberto
    Cannonball Adderly - Something Else
    Dexter Gordon - Go
    Duke Ellington Charlie Mingus Max Roach - Money Jungle
    Ella Fitgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis
    Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now
    Sonny Rollins & Oliver Nelson - Alfie Score
    Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson

not fussed about Ella Fitgerald & Louis Armstrong and already have Getz/Gilberto so will see if this pressing is better and sell the old one

Rondegrundt likes this.
  7. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

My 10 arrived today also:
    Getz/Gilberto
    Duke Ellington 'Money Jungle'
    Cannonball Adderley 'Somethin Else'
    Lee Konitz 'Motion'
    Charles Mingus 'Mingus Ah Um'
    Ella & Louis
    Sonny Rollins 'Alfie'
    Oliver Nelson 'The Blues and the Absolute Truth'
    Ornette Coleman 'New York is Now vol.1'
    Eric Dolphy 'Out to Lunch'

8. ceramed

ceramed Active Member

I took a chance at the 10 for £50 deal one week ago. A few days ago I got an e-mail telling me that the package was on its way, but now referring to the 6 disc offer which made me think that maybe I wouldn’t end up with all ten. Today I got the box, which included exactly the same selection as Frank Field. No duplicates except for Coleman, of which I have an early pressing in so-so condition. Haven’t had time to listen yet but feels like a solid deal.

9. Timpboy1

Timpboy1 Senior Member

I got the same as above except for Mingus Ah Um instead of Speak No Evil. I want to thank whoever pointed out that we could get in on this after the first round. For $64 including shipping I think it’s a great deal. I had a couple of the Deagostinis already and think they sound really nice, no matter what source was used. It’s especially cool that the Dolphy and Ellington are mono. I assume they are true mono, but they certainly are not the same as my stereo versions. I definitely prefer Out To Lunch in mono, although I have the excellent Music Matters 33 stereo. I got my order here in Texas just about a week after I made it, so I’m very impressed. I didn’t need another copy of Go or the Getz, but I’ll just sell them. I would trade but those seem to be the most common titles we all got. Thanks again.

ampguy and Phil Tate like this.
  10. Thanks! I forgot to set my phono pre to "mono" for Money Jungle. My Dolphy "Out To Lunch" is labelled stereo on top left of back, but I'm not going to get on well with this. Interesting record, but not a frequent repeat for me ...

11. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

12. Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon Forum Resident

Yeah the Dolphy and the Coleman aren't getting back on the turntable, good sounding vinyl though

Cheers

Martin

13. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

14. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

I just ordered. The DeAgostini's I already have are wonderful pressings. Sound quality is easily up there with some of the expensive Jazz reissues I've bought recently. For £3.33 a disc you can't go wrong.

From the sets of 10 people are talking about above I usually have 5 or 6 already. But for £20 if I get a 50% 'not-got' hit rate I'll be pleased.

Would anyone else on here like to pair up and exchange any that arrive that are doubles?

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I just ordered as well. I figure if I get 3 of the 6 that I don’t already have on vinyl, I’ll be happy and give away the others to friends or trade here perhaps? I’ll wait and see what shows up and take it from there...

16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I would definitely trade but you’re in the UK... by the time we pay for shipping it will cost more than the whole bundle!

17. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I'd be up for trading if it makes sense. I got the 10 for £30 deal and now ordered another 6, so expecting quite a few dupes, but there's of course a big risk of overlap between our two "dupe sets" too. :)

18. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

I guess if everyone posts what duplicates they wish to swap here, others can make offers from their duplicates they’d be happy to exchange.

let’s hope these are also DeAgostini overstocks and the new Black Friday offer isn’t for DOL releases. After all, the adverts don’t specify. Even though they’ve been licensed DeAgostini pressings in the similar recent offers there’s no guarantee these will be too.

ispace, hutlock and Petter Premberg like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The 6LP variant is now sold out.

Ital Galore likes this.
  20. Ital Galore

Ital Galore Forum Resident

I went in this time will be intersting to see what turns up

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Girlfriend’s money has actually been taken today as opposed to “pending” so it looks as though they’re preparing to dispatch.

My payment is still “pending”.

Update from her a few seconds later :

“Have just seen an email from them saying order dispatched arriving 15-16th. “

Petter Premberg likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup, just got a text message from DHL indicating a shipment from "The Hut Group" in the UK, which would be Zavi.

hutlock likes this.
  23. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Great stuff. Let us know if it's all DOL this time guys, everyone else might have time to cancel :D

24. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I don't think it will be, they've realised the popularity of the 10 for £30 and are banging out 6 for a slightly better profit margin. I've been wrong before....

Ital Galore and hutlock like this.
  25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If they do that, that would be a major bait and switch (not the legal definition, but certainly the spirit).

I seriously doubt that's what they're doing. In fact, if that WERE what they were doing, it would make no sense for them to be "sold out" again. Because DOL pressings are available in basically unlimited quantities.

But if I get DOL stuff, you can be sure I'll be back here to rant :)

myles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.