Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Teddy Edwards - Teddy's Ready (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD- 748-2)

Great album recorded in August 1960 with Leroy Vinnegar on bass, Billy Higgins on drums and Joe Castro on piano. Engineered by Roy Du Nann, sounds very good.

[​IMG]

Berthold, vanhooserd, Stu02 and 5 others like this.
  2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE MARION BROWN QUARTET | WHY NOT? | ESP_DISK | 1967 | FIRST US STEREO PRESSING ESP_DISK_1040

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

“Why Not?” is Brown’s third album as a leader and his most accessible up until the mid 70’s. Side A consists of two quite melodic tunes, obviously influenced by a very young Stanley Cowell, who made his first steps into recording with Max Roach. Also noteworthy is Coltrane’s last drummer, Rashied Ali, who has excellent technique and a strong, muscular sound. Bassist Norris Jones has been with Marion Brown since the beginning of his (Brown’s) recording career and I think it is safe to say that the two have a mutual and deeper understanding of each others ideas and timing.

Side B is more improvised, but still nowhere near Brown’s Free Jazz exhibitions that can be heard on his duet recordings with Gunter Hampel and Leo Smith. So this comes strongly recommended for all those who don’t know where to jump on when it comes to Marion Brown (he recorded many albums and I haven’t totally figured out myself yet which ones I need and don’t need). As with most ESP-Disk recordings, this one also sounds fabulous.

This album is still available on CD and LP, vintage copies can be had for cheap, unless it’s a first pressing. I was lucky, since I didn’t pay much for my copy, which was still in shrink - the seller thought it was a repressing because Discogs states that later pressings have the front and back cover switched, as is the case with my copy. The truth is, all vintage copies including the very first pressing, have the front/back in this order (meaning: artist and recordings info on the front, but I chose to put it on the right side as with all back covers), the only thing discerning the various pressings are the etchings in the dead wax, and mine matches with the original - I wouldn’t mind a later pressing though, since the cover stayed the same and the sound will most probably be very similar on all LPs.

3. A bit more on Harry "Sweets" Edison on this weekend

51WEST Records & Tapes 16076 [CBS reissue] - Harry 'Sweets' Edison " Seven Eleven" - rec.1976
    Featuring
    Jerome Richardson (saxes) / Ray Brown (b) / Larry Bunker (dr) / Gerry Wiggins (p)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Pacific Jazz PJLP 4 Harry Edison Quartet " Sweets At The Haig" - rec. 1953 - Engineer: Phil Turetsky
    with
    Alvin Stoller (dr) / Arnold Ross (p) / Joe Comfort (b)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Moustache Music 19 10 86 - Harry 'Sweets" Edison / Torsten Zwingenberger & Band - rec. 21986 - Engineer: Amadeus Reineck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and alarickc like this.
  6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

7. NP: Floria Purim - Butterly Dreams

First listen and it opens like Bitches Brew - deep fusion recalling Purim's Return to Forever years, and highlighting Stanley Clarke.
    Given all the love for Joe Henderson's Milestone releases, I'm surprised his work with Purim doesn't get more props. Not your typical Brazilian jazz.
    Side note (as @Lonson has noted) the Purim releases were well recorded. And this was $1 last weekend. With some patience clean copies can be found for peanuts.

[​IMG]

8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Teddy Edwards / Howard McGhee - Together Again!!!! (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-424-2)

Recorded in May 1961. Very nice session featuring McGhee on trumpet, Edwards on tenor plus Ray Brown on bass, Ed Thigpen on drums and Phineas Newborn on piano.

[​IMG]

9. NP: Dave Brubeck & Gerry Mulligan Live at the Berlin Philharmonic

Seeing Mulligan's bearded face and white hair was a stark contrast to the performance I watched yesterday Sound of Jazz CBS 1957, where he's a young buck with crew cut. Still holds the tenor the same way though.

Beautifully recorded live set here. May be worth the upgrade from this abbreviated single disc to the 1972 double LP.

[​IMG]

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jared Gold - Reemergence (Strike Zone)
    Organ trio with trumpet or flugel horn added on a couple of tracks. Billy Hart on drums and Dave Stryker. I discovered the organist through an Oliver Lake album but he also recorded with John Abercrombie. A young guy with sort of a Larry Young approach to harmonics but he’s his own man. They cover the Beatles “She’s Leaving Home” an interesting choice and well played.

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I finally figured out how to get back in to the board. I got confused and joined again but posts in this section require moderation delaying my posts from appearing. I’m such a luddite. Anyway, the posts with sixstring1 are mine but they won’t be happening anymore ( I hope).

Irish51, jay.dee, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  12. Ant G

Ant G Senior Member

NP: Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Always enjoy this one around the holidays.

13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I love The Kicker (the previous Tone Poet), and I enjoy playing it back-to-back with Grant Green’s Idle Moments as they both feature the same musicians and sound very similar, almost like Part 1 and Part 2. But Oblique is even better, and it sounds phenomenal — possibly the best of the series, so far.

frightwigwam and David Sonnier like this.
  14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, a few reviews said it was a lacklustre session and should have stayed unreleased.

Michael Cuscuna eviscerated it. Here’s what he said when asked about the session—

Ah! if you heard it, you would think that it was five high school students trying to play like the Jazz Messengers. It is so horrible! I don’t know, all I can think of is that maybe the guy selling the drugs didn’t show up, I don’t know. Everybody’s playing very bad. Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan sound horrible. Art Blakey is not even swinging, nothing happens, it’s just really embarrassing. So that’s one that will never come out, never.

- But it’s a complete session. They didn’t stop.

They didn’t stop, but they should have! It was terrible, it’s really terrible. No, that one will never come out, it’s just bad, bad music. Obviously they realized it too because they rerecorded everything live, you know, live at Birdland.

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I thought it sounded excellent. It’s mono and it’s very punchy, obviously it’s only a 3-piece with Rollins and bass and drums, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great pressing, too. Flat and silent, with no noises whatsoever. Recommended.

charlesp and alarickc like this.
  16. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

Well, dang, he certainly doesn't beat around the bush. lol.

SJR likes this.
  17. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

My fav so far in the TP series is Shorter's ETC. Sounds great,, the two songs on side two are awesome. Beautifully played.

I'm waiting on Roots and Herbs to compare to my original. Pretty excited about that one

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Roy Brooks - The Free Slave (Muse) 1972
    Live set from the archives of The Left Bank Jazz Society with Woody Shaw and George Coleman on the front line and High Lawson and Cecil McBee joining the leader in the rhythm section.

Robitjazz likes this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha ha! Yep, pretty harsh. I expected the worst, but it’s nowhere near as bad as that. I wouldn’t say it’s essential Blakey/Jazz Messengers, but it’s a nice addition to the collection.

20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I love Etcetera. I’m also excited about Roots & Herbs. In fact, I love them all. Keep ‘em coming!

Have you checked out the polls I made?

POLL: Blue Note's Tone Poet Series (2020)
    Blue Note's Tone Poet Series: Poll

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Gato Barbieri "El Pampero" Flying Dutchman cd.

[​IMG]

Bass – Chuck Rainey, Ron Carter
    Bass Clarinet – Danny Bank
    Berimbau, Percussion – Nana Vasconcellos
    Congas – Sonny Morgan
    Drums – Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
    Flute, Alto Flute – Phil Bodner
    Guitar – David Spinozza
    Percussion – Airto Moreira
    Piano – Hank Jones, Lonnie Liston Smith

22. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...a new (to me) Jazz Messengers album. Thanks again to you all...:cool::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

23. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE BOBBY HAMILTON QUINTET UNLIMITED | DREAM QUEEN | ALIFA | 1972 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING SAAB_939_940 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truly one of the “holy grails” of Spiritual Jazz, this first and only recording by the Bobby Hamilton Quintet Unlimited, which really was a septet, has a certain magic to it that is hard to put into words. But I guess “magic” is what comes closest to what happens on these five tracks. There is no record, at least that I know of, that comes close in terms of sound and atmosphere. It sounds like a very pleasant memory of an exclusive party in the 70’s you actually don’t remember so much of - just that the drugs must have been mighty good.

The owner of my favourite record store told me he found his copy on a trip in the United States, while hunting for records to ship to Belgium. He didn’t know the record nor did he have a clue what it sounded like, but the cover alone was so intriguing that he just had to have it. Imagine how far his jaw must have dropped when he first listened to it - the lucky ba***** certainly paid less than $30 for it. Nowadays, I’m afraid, you wouldn’t even be allowed to touch it for that price. After some hard thinking, I bought a copy I had found a few months earlier. Hey, it’s only money and money doesn’t make me happy - but records do.

Pearl|Roll

24. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

A terrific article about Dodo Marmarosa from James Harrod’s blog, Jazz Research.

In case you don’t know this blog, I highly recommend it. He has some great articles about West Coast Jazz.

Dodo Marmarosa - Jazz Research

chervokas, Xulio, Robitjazz and 2 others like this.
  25. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

This must be vibraphone season. I saw those Bobby Hutcherson posts above, and I've been on a Walt Dickerson kick. Listened to a Japanese pressing of his first Prestige album last night and waiting on delivery of a New Jazz pressing of To My Queen.

[​IMG]

WorldB3, Starwanderer, Stu02 and 7 others like this.