Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Paulwalrus likes this.
  2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

3. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s not a crime to not like this album. I never understod why our different opnions about music even should be a reason for debate. It s just entertainment and we connect different to different things
    Not a big deal
    In fact no deal at all

Dean R, jricc, rlj1010 and 6 others like this.
  5. The Wheels Off Your Car

The Wheels Off Your Car Forum Resident

Exactly. I don’t even agree with myself about this album. In the space of a week I’ve gone from being distinctly unimpressed to really enjoying most of it. God knows what I’ll think about it in a few years (assuming I’m still around).

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I don't know about "research", but I've long felt that Driving Rain will have a critical re-evaluation some day in the same way that Ram and McCartney II have had. It's a fantastic album and has a musicality and freshness that just is not as prevalent on more labored over albums like New or Memory Almost Full (IMHO of course).

7. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Yeah, at first I thought "not bad" but nowhere near Egypt Station. And now, although I stopped listening until December 18th in best possible quality time and again some hooks and snippets of new songs keep popping up…
    Another typical case of Macca Magic casting its spell!

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I guess it takes time to make a true verdict if an album. Sometimes I like things immediately but after a year or two it s not the same. For me Egypt Station has proved it s worth I still love most of it. Still it s hard to compare it with albums like Ram that s been around for almost 50 years. Right now I thinkbyhr new album is a really good one but time will tell which songs turns out to be keepers.
    I do know it s an album that requires multiple listenings.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  9. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

The word presumptuous springs to mind when I read this. You seem to have no faith at all in Paul being in charge of his own decisions, and your only evidence for this is that you don't agree with many of them :confused:

10. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

There'll be plenty of surprises if you don't listen to it until the 18th!!

11. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

I can’t believe I am typing this BUT for the first time ever, this past weekend, I re-listened to driving rain and liked most of it, in fact loved some of it. Don’t know what happened to be honest but I think it has snuck in there for me as enjoyable.

In fact the section from Your way - about you - heather - back in the sunshine - your loving flame. More solid than I ever remembered

and truly, I was not a fan of driving rain at all until now. It is something I will actually listen to again soon. Love how music can do that sometimes. And one wonders, how come not until now.....

12. Like a bunch of people, I listened to the album all the way through only once and then got rid of it. So, I am sure on the 18th I will be surprised again! Looking forward to being surprised about the four demo tracks too!

The Band likes this.
  13. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Not sure I have enough time left in my life before I start to appreciate the new McCartney III album!☺️

Bemagnus likes this.
  14. Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. I think both Magic and Heather are up there with McCartney’s best. I love From a Lover to a Friend, too, although I wish he would have picked a better vocal track for it. Not a weak track on the entire album. Plus, the whole LP sounds like a unified whole in ways that some McCartney albums do not.

Heck, I even like Freedom. ;)

15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I look forward to hearing McCartney 3 but the reviews here so far make me think I’ll like it as much as Egypt Station (which I hated). I wish he had made this album in 1990 or even 2000.

I think Driving Rain is a half great album. “Rinse the Raindrops” and “Heather” being 2 favorites. The problem he has too often are with lyrics and that album has some clunkers that can pull the mind away from the music. But overall I’d say it’s not a bad album. “Freedom” is terrible but some folks love it.

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  16. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Welcome to the party! I've been digging that very same stretch for almost two decades now. :righton:

You had me till that last bit. :eek: In fact, the difference in my mind between DR and III is that unlike Freedom on DR, there are no skippable tracks on III. Of course, it helps greatly that Freedom is at the end, so I can just hit stop after Rinse The Raindrops (and I almost always do). Speaking of 'Rinse', the other difference for me between the two albums is that even though Paul's vocals have diminished greatly, there are (IMHO) no moments on III where his voice just gives out on him as it does in parts of 'Rinse'. This has been a feature of nearly every McCartney album, going back to Angry on Press To Play and Figure Of Eight on Flowers. While he definitely doesn't have the range he once had, on III it seems like he finally found the perfect way to use what he still has vocally in an effective manner with no hiccups.

17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Yipes! So much to unpack there

:whistle:

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm amazed you haven't mentioned the vocal on Magic. It was the first time I ever really thought "oh my, he really should have fixed that". Great song, awful vocal.

19. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

It's never bothered me.
    Another very good song, but overlong track.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  20. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Only the final questions are worth to hardcore fans.

James McCartney likes this.
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

New Paul McCartney album is coup for Detroit's Third Man Pressing

"Blackwell initially pitched the idea of having McCartney play a show at Third Man Nashville after the pandemic passed, which could be recorded for a special live album. Then the call came to have Third Man press the vinyl versions of "McCartney III."

"They called and said, 'We want Third Man involved,' and we were like, 'You mean, like, a live show?'" Blackwell recalls with a laugh. "And they're like, 'No, man, we want you guys to do a (special) version of the album.' That was pretty amazing. It wasn't what we expected.""

22. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Your Loving Flame is one of my all-time favorite McCartney songs

23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Same here. I hated most of my favorite albums first time around.

24. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I agree. Lonely Road is, I think, one of the most emotionally straight-forward song he's ever written (in light of the the loss of Linda and his marriage to Heather etc.)

Aaaaarrrgggghhhh- hurry up with them vaccines now will yow!!

25. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

That's exactly what i think...

...of "From A Lover To A Friend".

:D

Who Cares, Fortuleo and Paulwalrus like this.