Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That was my first thought - especially those two albums. But I’ve noticed even Driving Rain, New and Egypt Station have it. It’s like the vocals just don’t sit right within the mix.

Cast Iron Shore and Resroc62 like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I find something to like on every album Paul has released even those I don t think are all that succesful like Press to Play or Off the Ground. Driving Rain is to long and there is a lack of something I never could put my finger on. But there are good stuff there as well.
    Albums like Chaos, Flaming Pie or Egypt Station are on another level for me. The new one to -even though it s to early for me to know how much I eventually will like it. The great thing with McCartneys music is that-even if we all like his music we certanely have different hits and misses within his catalogue. I can t explain why songs like I don t know To Much Rain or Kiss of Venus almost brings tears to my eyes while others like Your loving Flame or Off the Ground don t connect with me at all.
    That’s just the way it is

The Band, Cledwyn, Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

So is Band On The Run, Venus and Mars, Ram and McCartneyIII
    Produced by you know who

4. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

A Knopler-McCartney collaboration would be nice. But not so much in terms of one producing the other but a straightforward collab.

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

MPL wanted Third Man Records to press special edition of McCartney III...?

I'll say it again, Best Crew On The Planet [for marketing]!! :tiphat:

Who Cares, AppleCorp3 and kevintee like this.
  6. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

A perfect example for me is "Women and Wives". During waking hours its not my one of my favorites plus I can't get the comment about Paul sounding like he's got a mouthful of marbles whilst singing. Nevertheless, I woke up today to constant repeats of the song in my head - over and over.

Who Cares and Eska68 like this.
  7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

AlienGirlWorx likes this.
  8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Better than I thought it would be. I think it's his most charming album in a very long time. It greatly benefits from the homestyle production. Can I give a more detailed review on here or are people not a fan of knowing too much?

SimplyPut, Who Cares, Eska68 and 4 others like this.
  9. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Go ahead. The more different views the better.

10. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Have you been drinking?

SimplyPut, vinylbeat and Exotiki like this.
  11. One of my favorites!

Who Cares and Exotiki like this.
  12. joshbrf

joshbrf Forum Resident

Please do!

SimplyPut, Who Cares, theMess and 2 others like this.
  13. They are all pretty heavily limited, to greater or lesser degrees. I think that they pulled back on the compression a little for New, but not much.

The only recent Paul album that has room to breathe is Kisses on the Bottom—and it sounds nuanced and textured, and not flat.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Woman and Wifes seems to be Paul’s own favorite from the album. With good reasons because it is a tremendous song with a brilliant , stripped down arrangement and IMO -great vocals. Sometimes it s my favorite of the whole album. That melody might be simple but also rather unique. At the end when Paul sings ”Chasing Tomorrow Get ready to run” it s a true magic McCartney moment. When all is said and done this song might end up being one of my all-time favorites from Paul

The Band, SimplyPut, Rocco and 3 others like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Sultans Of Silly Love Songs" ... :hide:

16. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Paul's worst albums still have one or two gems on them.
    McCartney 3 is on a level with all recent albums, still would place it just behind Chaos and Electric Arguments though that might change. Memory Almost Full suffers with awful production otherwise that would be up there too.
    Cannot wait to hear this in proper good quality.

Rocco, Who Cares and Paulwalrus like this.
  17. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

That sound you just heard was me tapping the “Ignore” button. Buh-bye. :wave:

18. Maccamaga

Maccamaga Forum Resident

Mark kn
    mark knopfler has done more than sultan of swings . His solo albums are tremendous

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No one is disagreeing with that.

20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Anybody come across high-res images of the blue and yellow 'demo disc' covers yet?

21. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

:laughup:
    @MPLRecords, Only NINE copies of Tug of War? Well, we all have to START somewhere!

Totally kidding. Awesome! :)

(I think someone on here had how many Egypt Station's they owned as their signature quote too).

P.S. Do ex-wives count? ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Ok. I will give a little mini review. I have only listened through a few times so these are very early thoughts. I am thrilled that the album has a bit of a 70s McCartney vibe to go along with the album cover which looks like the 70s to me. I think this album really benefits from him playing everything and no outside modern day producer to influence him. Lots of harpsichord and 70s sounding guitars and keyboards on the album, and I really like Paul's drumming style.

LONG TAILED WINTER BIRD- Great opening song. Almost all instrumental. Sounds like Paul busted out the Bill Black stand up bass on this one. I like when the drums kick in. A cool groove. McCartney having fun in the studio. Exactly what this album should be about.

FIND MY WAY- The most modern sounding song on the album and not far off from the last several albums. Not really my thing. It's still not terrible, just not something I care for. It does feature some cool bass and a few nice moments of guitar.

PRETTY BOYS- Nice song. I would say this has a Flaming Pie type vibe. I like the sound of the guitars on this. His older voice is not bothering me. The unfussy production and this type of mix is working in his favor.

WOMAN AND WIVES- I'm not hearing the marble mouth vocal that many have commented on. This is one of the strongest songs on the album. Has a bit of an old gospel feel. Beautiful piano and some of the best lyrics on the album.

LAVATORY LIL- A standard 50s influenced rocker. Reminds me of something Brian Setzer would write. Just some more fun in the studio with Paul.

SLIDIN- Kind of getting some Back To the Egg late 70s feel on this one. Paul getting a little experimental with the vocal and an all around interesting tune. Paul should play drums more often on his albums.

DEEP DEEP FEELING- Many have commented on this being a favorite. It's not doing much for me at the moment. It goes on a bit too long, but the reviews stating that it sounds like a Fiona Apple type tune are accurate. Another bit of experimental Paul with a soul touch. Not bad and this one could grow on me. At least he is trying out some new styles.

THE KISS OF VENUS- Kind of in the same vein as "Calico Skies". A bit rough on the vocal, but the more you listen it becomes very endearing. A catchy acoustic McCartney ditty. Some of the lyrics sound tossed off, but I really like this one the more I hear it. A really cool harpsichord ending.

SEIZE THE DAY- Another favorite that has a classic breezy McCartney melody. Also, sounds like something that would be at home on a late 70s album. So far I am pretty impressed with his vocals. He did a good job at making them work.

DEEP DOWN- This is more on the modern side of things that could have been on any of his last several albums. Again, this is not really my thing. I haven't cared for many of his recent albums. I do like that the more modern tunes go for a soul flavor. If this is one of my least favorites, I think we have a very good McCartney album here.

WINTER BIRD/WHEN WINTER COMES- This is an odd choice to be included on the album. It's clearly Paul from 20 years ago. Maybe he should have tried to re-sing it with his current voice? It's a decent song and younger Paul sounds great. It just feels out of place.

I am very surprised, and I don't think I have enjoyed a McCartney album this much in 15-20 years. Time will tell how it holds up.

I ordered the white vinyl after nearly missing out on the Third Man red. I was thinking I might keep it sealed and sell it if I didn't care for it, but I have to say this one will be opened and played on release day.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  23. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Love You and Your Friend by Dire Straits.

24. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I think they need to edit their description too: "This month listen to a selection of tracks that feature Paul playing all the instruments."

If he's playing all the instruments on "Coming Up - Live At Glasgow", we musicians should all just give up and acknowledge the king. :D

Cheers,
    Paul

Lovich, theMess, longdist01 and 9 others like this.
  25. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Very glad you liked it so much! I mostly agree and I think it should be a generally likable album for most people.