Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Just a reminder to myself that I need to order a Four Seasons Total Landscaping T-shirt.

2. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Nice one, Guy.

That's one of the greatest t-shirts of one of the greatest locations, by ... 'a lot'!

Instant Dharma, Tyler and NunoBento like this.
  3. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

It's been said they haven't been filmed, or at least don't survive in full. Speculation also about the screen films being the reason.
    Not entirely. They're close but not identical. Most notably, the audience is much higher on the original VHS mix. Also some of the tracks are edited differently, especially Comfortably Numb which is awfully shortened in the VHS.

Here is Dogs of War from the CD:

And from the VHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg5pdzR8BB8

4. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

You gotta have both, I think, because:

- they sound different;
    - the backing vocals are more audible on the new one;
    - the new one has all the songs played on the show (except for Echoes, which was replaced by SOYCD after a few gigs, if I'm not mistaken);
    - the original has the Guy Pratt's bass solo on Money;
    - the original has the wonderful artwork by Storm Thorgerson.

5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The bonus cuts are described as five tracks, but lets be honest, they are just two tracks YAM/RnR is one piece, ANMi/TF/ANMii is one piece.

It's like saying Shine on You Crazy Diamond (pts 1-5) is 5 separate tracks when it's clearly just one.

And having watched the show on SKY Arts, I do now wish that Gilmour had dubbed over the bass on One Slip as well.

tedhead, The Revealer and Big Pasi like this.
  6. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thanks, between the VHS and double CD, the only songs missing are A New Machine pt1 and pt2, Terminal Frost, and Welcome to the Machine. I have the ability to burn audio from VHS and might edit together audio from the original VHS and double CD, and will also do needledrops of the new mix!!

7. JulesRules

I've actually been meaning to do that for a long time... I don't have the VHS but this inofficial thing, picked up a long time ago in a store:

[​IMG]

But I never seriously approached an edit because the mix is so different. What versions should I settle for as the backbone? And how do I deal with edits such as in Sorrow and On the Turning Away, where there are different bits cut out of each format?

It's a muddy area. Are Time/Breathe Reprise one piece? Most people would say yes but on this tour, Time was played without Breathe Reprise.
    The whole second side of AMLOR was played as one piece live in concert.

I don't really get that. The bass solo is an integral part of One Slip, it's there in the studio version too (although that was Tony Levin). On Money, it was a live addition.

St. Troy and heepsterandrey like this.
  8. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Finished watching the bluray and really enjoyed it. The original version was a cross fade slo mo unwatchable mess but the new edit improved it no end.

9. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

So I ripped the audio from the VHS and double CD to my PC. As far as I can tell, same mix on both, and yes there are different edits on both, for example, Comfortably Numb is about 1-1/2 minutes longer on the CD. The audience is louder on VHS but overall I think I might like the VHS audio better. It's a little clearer and better balanced I think. Could be just the playback on my old VCR.
    The above CD setlist which you posted matches the VHS version.
    Now, onto ripping my new vinyl set!!

JulesRules likes this.
  10. JulesRules

I actually prefer the VHS audio mix / mastering too even if it sounds a bit on the tinny side (but those were the 80s).
    One other thing I noticed is that, at least on that inofficial CD I have, the VHS version of One Of These Days has a "skip" at some point, compared to the original CD. Is this on the original VHS too?

11. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

No, I do not detect a skip. As a matter of fact, from the opening bass notes to the last crash, the song length is the same at 5:34.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. K.K. Bing

K.K. Bing Forum Resident

It doesn’t have liner notes, but a lot of credits. And a lot of photos, which are a bit blurry. Looks like a deluxe magazine, it isn’t a real book. Not much attention is given to this booklet IMO. But the vinyl sounds great!

Haggischomper and superstar19 like this.
  13. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, the 4k version of DSOT on Amazon video includes Yet Another Movie and New Machine/Terminal Frost, they are after the credits and looked to be lesser video quality than the main feature IMO. Cost is $15.

Geordiepete likes this.
  14. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Wish I could purchase that, but I'm in Japan, where it's not available.

Out of curiosity, can one rip audio from an Amazon Video? Is it only streamed, once purchased, or can one download the file?

15. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

got the vinyl, and the blu ray, and have now managed to play both.

LP sounds very good to my ears, and on my modest system. Never spent much time with the original release, so unlike longtime fans, I don't have hours and hours of emotinal attachment with the initial release.

The blu ray was a mixed bag imo. Too bad they couldn't inlude the entire gig, but I suppose that should please the fans who forked out for the lavish later years box set...
    The footage is fairly grainy, and tbh I thought it would look better considering how big a deal they have made of the restoration process.
    The show is dark and dimly lit, so that plays a big role in the quality, but still - I thought it would look better than it does.
    As an aside; for anyone in the audience over those 5 nights, I suppose the filming must have been somewhat intrusive. Some of the in-your-face shots on stage mut have blocked the view to a large degree...

anyways; I would no doubt recommend the stand alone blu ray, seeing as how little high quality footage there is from the band, and the performance is solid. Strange how dated it looks with some of the players sporting fashion from that time...

JulesRules likes this.
  16. obi

obi Forum Resident

The DVD/Blu-Ray released now is the exact same movie that was in “The Later Years” box.

fishcane and coffeetime like this.
  17. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

EricD is referring to the standalone BluRay that doesn't have the five bonus tracks (or the two unfilmed tracks of course) and comparing it to the LP track listing.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

They do not allow you to download the file but you can record any ongoing audio on your computer with programs like Audacity. Windows has Start+Alt+R to record desktop video but I'm sure DRM would be involved with this somehow.

19. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

When it comes to film, grain is good. They could have DNR'd (digital noise reduction) to death and made everything look silky smooth with a nice waxy sheen. They could have videotaped it, but then it would be no better than Pulse.

For the late 1980's, this is great because you have this shot on film (HD or even 4k wasn't around) and it was shot at low light levels. I'm sure they took that into account when they planned the shoot and got it as good as they could for that time.

I personally think it looks great and while it may not look like it was shot yesterday, it's very good. And I urge anyone with any interest in this to not be dissuaded from purchasing it.

20. obi

obi Forum Resident

I agree.
    I remember the director of a concert movie say once that every concert movie is a battle between the director/cameramen, who want as much light as possible and the band/artist who prefer a dark “atmospheric” stage.
    The light levels that look good to the audience might not be bright enough to be suitable to film.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I figured some of the close up band member "reaction" shots were done at a soundcheck during the run. Pick a few key parts in several songs and do it all in 30-40 mins.

22. JulesRules

This was also the problem with filming The Wall live in 1981... the audience always booed when the lights were turned up or something!

Crimson Witch and obi like this.
  23. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Having already had the Later Years box, I love the remix and full version of DSOT, but I got the vinyl set because... well, I had to, right? Anyhow, my only disappointment is the cheap outer box. I really hoped it would sit nicely alongside the PULSE and Live at Pompeii boxes, but it is shorter and not very durable. Too bad. It deserved a better outer box.

24. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I ripped vinyl while listening. Vinyl was flat and pretty quiet until I got to side 6. Side 6 has a visible and loud double pop for the first 2 minutes! I returned to B&N but they couldn’t order a replacement because they were out of stock, so I just got credited. I don’t think I’ll replace the vinyl. The new remix sounds good and I like having all of the songs played, but some of the edits that others have posted are rather bizarre. I rather the original mix.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  25. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Purchased the 4K iTunes version (for $15.99) and was pleasantly surprised to have the bonus tracks ("Yet Another Movie/Round and Around", "A New Machine 1", "Terminal Frost", "A New Machine 2") included at the end of the film proper, right after the credits! And it's in 5.1 as well - lots of great surround effects, including the movie dialogue samples from "Yet Another Movie."