Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

1. Chaos And Creation
    2 Electric Arguments
    3. McCartney III
    4. Memory Almost Full
    5 Egypt Station
    6 New
    7 Driving Rain

2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

1. Memory Almost Full (for which "the best since...." hype still holds true)

2. New
    3. Egypt Station

4. Electric Arguments

5. Chaos
    6. Driving Rain

Rocco and Who Cares like this.
  3. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I'm surprised to see so many people ranking Egypt Station above New. I find New much much stronger that Egypt Station.

gibtti, Who Cares, SRC and 1 other person like this.
  4. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Cool! Here's mine:

01. Chaos And Creation In The Backyard (10/10)
    02. New (10/10)
    03. McCartney III (9/10)
    04. Egypt Station (8,5/10)

05. Electric Arguments (8/10)
    06. Memory Almost Full (8/10)
    07. Kisses On The Bottom (8/10)
    08. Driving Rain (7,5/10)

:love:

Paulwalrus, Rocco, Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  5. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

As good as it’s the one I enjoy most. There is no objectively good or bad album.

6. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Haven't heard McIII yet. But this exactly would be my ranking of his late career albums.

7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I like the songs (even love a handful of them) but the sound is awful.

I'm not sure if it's how it was recorded, or how it was mixed, or mastered, or whatever, but the sound of the album annoys me like fingernails scraping a chalkboard.
    IMO, "Egypt Station" begs for a decent remix/remaster.

Pianoman99 and Yorick like this.
  8. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

McCartney dumps on BipBop!!! Say it isn't so......

tug_of_war likes this.
  9. I think you forgot Kisses on the Bottom, Liverpool Sound Collage, and Twin Freaks.

Rocco and Who Cares like this.
  10. Johnta7

Johnta7 Forum Resident

I’ve just had my order for the Red vinyl cancelled by the Paul McCartney UK store, with no explanation. I ordered 2 for myself and 2 more for a couple of friends to save on the shipping cost. Anybody else had the same treatment?

11. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

I did not forget about them but decided not including them. Same for “Ocean’s Kingdom” and others.

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Yorick and theMess like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I completely agree that the buck stops with Paul ultimately; if he wasn’t happy with the work I’m sure he wouldn’t have released it.
    It’s the same with his work with Godrich and Padgham; working with them might not have been easy for him and there were obvious disagreements and tensions but if he wasn’t happy with the results he didn’t need to release them.

Having said that I can see why Paul values the ideas of the producers he is working with at any given time and when Kahne played “Oh Woman, Oh Why” as a suggestion of what he thought the album should sound like, with a looser raw feel, he was definitely partially responsible for the sloppiness and speed of the sessions. Both had a part to play; it was Kahne’s idea to put a new group together and to get them to speed through the material. It was probably a very cathartic and enjoyable experience for Paul, not having Linda anymore and bedding in a fun new young group instead of labouring over an album for too long.

I’m ultimately just pleased that Paul didn’t return to that way of working over his next releases.

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Oh it definitely wouldn’t have suited the material on “OTG”; I simply meant that it would have been more fitting for the grunge era than the “OTG” singles were.

The Band and Rocco like this.
  15. Dylanos

Dylanos Forum Resident

Have to say this is NOT a good album.

16. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Not me - its very likely they think you're buying the extra three to sell on at a profit.

17. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

1. Memory Almost Full
    2. Chaos and Creation
    3. Egypt Station
    4. New
    5. Electric Arguments
    6. McCartney III*
    7. Driving Rain
    *I have not heard McCartney III yet, but considering that Driving Rain is my least favorite McCartney album, it would have to be pretty bad to be at the bottom of this list, so it’s at least #6 without having heard a note.

Rocco and Yorick like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Im not much for ranking-but if I had to this would be my list. I don t think there is a bad album among them but those highest are the one I have returned to most. McCartney III is to new to handle here. The thing is-all those albums are different from one another.
    Chaos is a sepia-toned , sombre effort,
    Memory is a pop-caleidoscope in all kind if colours.
    New is a modern sounding pop-album with an experimental touch.
    Egypt Station is a true masterclass in songwriting and high-end production.
    Driving Rain is a fast recorded band-album suffering from lack of direction and a few poor songs
    During the era Paul also released a choral work, a ballet-score and a brilliant standards-album with a great original in My Valentine
    So he s been busy for sure
    1. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
    2. Egypt Station
    3. New
    4. Memory Almost Full
    5. Electric Arguments
    6. Driving Rain
    As I said it s to early to rank McCartney III but right now it might even put away Chaos from the nr one spot . Time will tell[. It s a very inspired album/SPOILER]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    janmaccazwan, Rocco, theMess and 2 others like this.
  19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've no idea whether you're right or not as I won't hear it until the 18th, but hopefully your statement will have as much validity as the one below. (Meant in jest :))

20. jricc

jricc Senior Member

IMHO Yes!

21. Joao Carlos

Joao Carlos Forum Resident

First of all, I don´t know why Driving Rain is so poorly ranked among fans. I really like this one. It´s not one of the best but it´s not bad at all. I really think that Heather era influences that kkk

Paulwalrus, The Band and theMess like this.
  22. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

How have so many heard McCartney III already? Is it available somewhere?

Noise Annoys likes this.
  23. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

I rank Egypt station above New as well and I think it's because it's more of an "album". New is more like a bunch of songs bunched together. Just my opinion

Choba b CCCP, Paulwalrus, nsm and 2 others like this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Five different producers, I see your point. NEW is really good with some high highs, but a mixed bag in terms of quality. Struggle and Demon's Dance should have 100% been on that album instead of Hosanna and his attempted anthems Save Us and the awful Everybody Out There. Appreciate, Early Days and Alligator are great though, and the title track and Queen Eye are sweet 60s style tunes that could have been Beatles numbers in 1965-67...I listen to Egypt Station a lot more, though.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    jacden, Chris from Chicago and Rocco like this.
  25. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

1. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
    2. Memory Almost Full
    3. Driving Rain
    4. Egypt Station
    5. New
    6. Electric Arguments

Paulwalrus and Rocco like this.