Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

In anticipation of McCartney III, here is my ranking:

1. MAF
    2. New
    3. Chaos/Creation
    4. Elect. Arguments
    5. Driving Rain
    6. Egypt Station

Rocco, Yorick and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

1. Chaos
    2. Egypt
    3. MAF
    4. New
    5. Electric Arguments
    6. Kisses
    7. Driving Rain

*McIII unknown

Rocco and tug_of_war like this.
  3. Maccamaga

Maccamaga Forum Resident

According to internal real polls ,

driving rain ranks number 1 as the best album .

mc3 has the potential to be as good . The disadvantage that it has , it ‘s only got 11 songs

4. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

FWIW, my ranking is almost the opposite of you guys:

Driving Rain
    MAF
    Chaos
    New
    Egypt Station
    Electric Arguments

I've yet to hear more than a minute or two of Mc3, so I've no idea where that will fit in! :)

Paulwalrus, Rocco and Yorick like this.
  5. Oaw

Oaw Forum Resident

I'll play too:
    1. NEW
    2. Memory Almost Full
    3. Electric Arguments
    4. Egypt Station
    5. Chaos
    6. Driving Rain
    7. Kisses

Rocco likes this.
  6. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

I think we’ve seen almost every possible ranking of those 6/7 albums, and each of them is equally valid.

Paulwalrus, KaptKopter, Rocco and 4 others like this.
  7. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

So after the professional critics, the professional comedians, we now professionals in ranking Macca albums of the 21st century ? Really ?! How many more pages of this off-topic stuff do we need ? How about you guys "get a room", i.e. start a new thread called "Dudes with nothing better to do ranking Macca's 21st Century albums", assuming there isn't one already ? Thanks for those who are interested in discussing MCIII ;-)

paustin0816 and cwitt1980 like this.
  8. James McCartney

We’re discussing how McIII fits within our personal rankings.
    No one’s forcing nobody to read!

9. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

1. McCartney IV
    2. McCartney III purple edition with Prince’s “1999” cover as bonus track
    3. Chaos and Creation in the Frontyard (brick-walled re-records produced by David Kahne)
    4. McCartney V (a/k/a Driving Rain original cover)
    5. New(er) - the version where all Paul’s vocals have been replaced by a very drunk Johnny Depp and include a rap section by Kanye West.

Billy Budapest and Fortuleo like this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If it's this or dozens more pages of "Bip Bop" and "Live and Let DICE ;);)"/"Let Me Roll DICE :laugh:", I'll take the album rankings.

Cledwyn, Resroc62, Oaw and 2 others like this.
  11. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Don't forget the professional complainers. :whistle:

12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

And the complainers' agents.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

To be fair there is not much to discuss at the moment as we have not heard much of it. And that in itself makes it difficult to rate (which is subjective anyway, but fair in a discussion). The only other topic really is formats and that can be a minefield!

There are a few promotional emails and magazine articles that have some limited information but in reality you are perhaps correct in saying that specific on-topic discussion is pretty limited at present. I have tuned out and mainly just dip in to check if there are any new developments. I don't anticipate anything that will interest me now until release date.

But in the meantime there is no reason why others can't banter in anticipation. We are somewhat limited in other activities at present. A little musical debate is probably a good thing and helps keep the mind active.

I think this year is probably done now but it looks like some excitement is on the horizon in the new year for the Harrison and Lennon camps.

I have my eyes on the Kinks Lola set shortly and hopefully McCartney 3 if it makes it to a store nearby in time for Christmas. I have decided to avoid the pre-order melee for this one!

Paulwalrus, The Band, Cledwyn and 4 others like this.
  14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney Is Still Trying to Figure Out Love

"There’s a song on “McCartney III,” “Pretty Boys,” that is kind of unusual for you in how the music is sort of unassuming but the lyrics have an almost sinister edge. What inspired that one?

Paul:
    I’ll tell you exactly. I’ve been photographed by many photographers through the years. And when you get down to London, doing sessions with people like David Bailey, they can get pretty energetic in the studio. It’s like “Blow-Up,” you know? “Give it to me! [Expletive] the lens!” And it’s like: “What? No, I’m not going to.” But I understand why they’re doing that. They’re that kind of artist. So you allow it. Certain photographers — they tend to be very good photographers, by the way — can be totally out of line in the studio. So “Pretty Boys” is about male models. And going around New York or London, you see the lines of bicycles for hire. It struck me that they’re like models, there to be used. It’s most unfortunate."

15. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I saw what you did there! :)

The Band and tug_of_war like this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Anyone else curious about what the back of the album looks like? Mary is credited with "cover photo" so I'm assuming there's a picture of Paul on the back cover. But maybe it's a photo of something else, or simply one of the photos in the inner collage, just larger on the back.

Who Cares, theMess and tug_of_war like this.
  17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

1. Electric Arguments
    2. Chaos
    3. New
    4. Egypt Station
    5. Memory Almost Full
    6. Driving Rain
    7. Kisses

#1 was easy -- far and away my favorite.
    #2-4 are interchangeable. Chaos is front to back solid -- but I would pull more favorite individual tracks from New and Egypt Station for a comp.

Rocco, Cledwyn and theMess like this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think it leaked but I'm personally staying away until I have a physical copy.

FLF, Lewisboogie, gaels7592 and 3 others like this.
  19. Johnta7

Johnta7 Forum Resident

I think you’re probably correct. I can understand that but it’s bit harsh as I’ve now missed out completely on a red version. They could have reduced my order to one.

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  20. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Right, but you get a notification and think (against all odds obviously based on the trainwreck of a thread this has been) that maybe there's some ACTUAL NEW info related to McIII but no, it's just some dude posting his ranking that no one gives a toss about TBH. Again guys if you don't know what to do with your time that's ok but just start a "Ranking Macca albums of the 21st Century" and let's move on.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well
    Perhaps there are some people here who think it fun discussing Pauls later work and try to put the new album into that context
    In all honesty I fail to see the harm
    Unless one wants to
    :):):)

22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney’s Spotify Story

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Im not sure I agree this thread is a trainwreck. It s just a bunch of people sharing the same interest having fun
    No more no less no harm

Paulwalrus, Dr. Dog, dormouse and 2 others like this.
  24. Juuulien

Juuulien Well-Known Member

Here's mine!

1. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard : one of my favorite McCartney album.

2. McCartney III : I only heard it once, but I really enjoyed my listen. Given that I'm not the biggest fan of 21st century Paul McCartney, I'll put it there.

3. Egypt Station : I Don't Know is one of my all-time favorite, but I find this album quite uneven.

4. Electric Arguments : Not a fan of the U2-esque songs, but there is a lot of gems in there.

5. Driving Rain : A lot to complain, but a lot to like too.

6. New : good album, but I find it a bit generic.

7. Memory Almost Full : The only Paul McCartney album - all eras - that I (almost) completely dislike.

* I never had the curiosity to listen to Kisses on the Bottom.

Rocco, Cledwyn and James McCartney like this.
  25. James McCartney

[​IMG]