Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Interesting there's zero text on the back. Thanks!

tug_of_war and James McCartney like this.
  2. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

J_Ellis97, Who Cares, theMess and 2 others like this.
  3. James McCartney

I wonder if that’ll change...

Rocco and tug_of_war like this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Usually there is at least some logos and fine print, etc. The song titles could look nice in the negative space there.

Do you have inside knowledge about it?

5. James McCartney

No knowledge at all, just speculating. But I do think the back cover will have the tracklist.

6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Safe bet. His only studio albums without it are Ram and Driving Rain.

James McCartney likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Since I ordered the japanese cd with four bonus-tracks it will be fun to see if those four songs are new songs left out of the album or the demos one had to buy four albums to get complete.
    We ll see. Im a fan of japanese SHM cd-s so no matter what it was my choice.
    We ll see

The Band likes this.
  8. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Thanks, the series is off to a good start, should be interesting ! Oh and I'm glad to hear that his speaking voice isn't as thin as it's been for years and especially in that recent BBC interview. He sounds a lot younger all of a sudden ;-)

9. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

You’re right. It’s so much better than that!

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I love seeing him sing a line of “Check My Machine” - it would be so great if Paul played a few songs from the three McCartney albums and live-streamed it from his studio. He could build up some tracks and then sing and play guitar on top of them, like he did when promoting “Flaming Pie”. I’d love to see him perform tracks like “Machine”, “On The Way”, “Waterfalls”, “Junk” and some of the new album that way.

11. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Not trying to bring up non-music, but for 78, he looks so good. Geez talk about a cool grandpa - who is cooler at that age - not just looks but attitude. Oh yeah - Ringo.

12. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

13. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

1. Egypt
    2. III
    3. Electric Arguments
    4. New
    5. Chaos
    6 Driving
    7. Kisses

ps if Twin Freaks is allowed, I would put it at 5.

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This is fun, here's mine...
    MEMORY ALMOST FULL - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS ALBUM! For me this is one of McCartney's absolute very best! Some say it's too loud, these songs are of such high quality my ears just thrill to the music, the medley is Absolutely Outstanding!
    EGYPT STATION - The excellence continues, not every song but the vast majority. Despite Repeated Warnings, Dominoes, Home Tonight, Nothing For Free, Hunt You Down yeah this is some of McCartney's best.
    CHAOS - This album has three of my all time favorite McCartney songs, Friends To Go, Too Much Rain, This Never Happened Before. Add to that the bonus song This Loving Game, these alone earn CHAOS it's spot, producer aside.
    NEW - I Can Bet - should have been the very first single, I still hear a hit song. Alligator, Appreciate, Turned Out, New, all very good.
    DRIVING RAIN - Lonely Road, Driving Rain, Your Loving Flame, About You, Back In The Sunshine, all of these are very good.
    ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS - I like the live performances of Sing The Changes and Highway, the rest I never ever listen to, one of McCartney's absolute worst.
    McCARTNEY III - I kinda like two songs Lavatory Lil and Slidin, but for me this album joins McCartney II and the Firemen as one of his absolute worst.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I couldn’t agree more; he looks so healthy and vibrant and he still has so much energy and interest in music. Long may it be the case !

16. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

17. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I listen to Spotify all the time. While Riding to Vanity is my most played song of the last 5 years, Chaos overall seems so sleepy but not relaxing. My impression that Paul gave in to Nigel Goodrich and wasn’t quite himself. Whereas a song like Alligator from New seems so much like Paul, songs like A Certain Softness and others seem like tentative compromises and are just a bit boring to me...apologies to all the Chaos lovers. Egypt station songs seem much more honest and interesting...

jesse, Who Cares and MPLRecords like this.
  18. James McCartney

Egypt is pure Paul, and showcases his versatiliy unlike New or Chaos (which I really love but are more homogeneous).

Col, Lewisboogie, Resroc62 and 2 others like this.
  19. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I forgot Memory - hmmm I rank it after New mid list. A few cringe moments on Memory for me - including one of the few Macca songs I dislike - Gratitude.

20. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I think I may have the wrong Beatle here, but

My.
    Sweet.
    Lord.

21. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Yeah, I kind of agree to that. Not big fan of the sound. A bit too "pumped up" and modern to these ears.
    I like some songs on it, like "Happy With You". But all in all I think it is a bit unfocused and long.
    Don't like the "yes, we can do it" part and "People Want Peace". Some songs are really mediocre...

Somehow it sounds like he tried to please everybody. And that disturbs me somehow.

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The showcasing of McCartney's versatility is why albums like MEMORY ALMOST FULL and EGYPT STATION are standouts for me! Songs like DESPITE REPEATED WARNINGS and HUNT YOU DOWN/NAKED/C-LINK are mini medleys that just sparkle with McCartney's musical creativity! Same with the medley from MEMORY the musical changes just thrill my ears!
    Okay it's happened again, now I have to go listen!

Paulwalrus, Col, Resroc62 and 3 others like this.
  23. Pianoman99

I see your point. And I somehow agree about the versatility. But at the same time I get the feeling that the songs you mention are a bit too "constructed". They don't flow naturally to me. And as mentioned... the "yes we can do it" part is really not for me...

24. Pianoman99

And I much prefer Memory Almost Full.

Who Cares likes this.
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Speaking of DESPITE REPEATED WARNINGS and HUNT YOU DOWN/NAKED/C-LINK, I meant to say MINI MEDLEYS not melodies.
    To my ears those songs are perfectly constructed with thrilling musical changes!