CD Player Transport: Lector vs Emotiva vs Jaysaudio vs ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stephenjh7731, Jun 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenjh7731

stephenjh7731 New Member Thread Starter

Considering another CD player / transport, need 2 within my business. My specific needs are 1) AES / EBU out and also 2) as a preferred option balanced XLR out. Will mostly use with a Space Tech Labs DAC. Have just about given up on my dreams of the Lector Digidrive TL cdp transport or the CDP-7T-MKIII tube cd player because of budget. Have been watching for a used Lector for years with no luck. As a backup player, the Emotiva ERC-4 is the best for my current budget. The Jaysaudio cdt2-mk2 has just entered my consideration due to reviews, and the top loading mechanism. I like the modular design that allows for easy replacement of parts as needed.
    I am one of those who is lucky (or is it unlucky?) enough that I perceive distinct differences in the difference between transports, though with just casual, and very limited experience with different units. Whether this be psychological, emotional, or an actual quantifiable difference, I have perceived quite different experiences between different players / transports using the same cables and DAC. I don't do critical listening at all; music is just my joy and I see these pieces of equipment as true works of the engineering art. My choice will be heavily influenced by a performance/cost, vs budget, vs personal aesthetics consideration.
    Any guidance or opinions about the 3 mentioned options, or any other recommendations would be most welcome. I used to own an Audiomecca Mephisto IIX, and now use a Space Tech Labs CD-201. My Rotel from 1986 (bought it the same day a Replacements album was released on CD only), is still the backup, but drawer mechanism is beginning to stagger after 34 years. Still sounds great to me...

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

There’s a used Lector cdp 5.0 on EBay from a Florida seller at a good price, but with a best offer button, definitely worth a look. I have the Lector cdp 0.6 and it’s fabulous, a lucky find right here in the classifieds.

3. stephenjh7731

Thanks, have seen that listing which mentions: "Sometimes when inserting a CD, the drawer will stop closing about 1/2 inch from fully closed and requires a final push."
    It also does not have the AES / EBU out. Considered it strongly at that price, but 2 messages to seller have gone unanswered, so a bit wary as of now. The U.S. dealer for Lector is now in my state, and have done a lot of business with them over the years, so will be asking if they could repair the drawer, and convert the unit to optimize
    the possible option of AES / EBU; (don't know if this is even possible, as it now has RCA outs plus a digital out.)

4. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

@stephenjh7731 any further progress on an AES red book transport ?

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

This will be my next transport "if" user reviews are positive, still very new to market.

At around $1200. USD, it could be a good value CDT with desirable Outputs.

https://www.denafrips.com/avatar

MayoStudenT, JayNYC and DigMyGroove like this.
  6. stephenjh7731

Thanks for the tip on the Denafrips Avatar. Have read one positive review and I am very much leaning
    towards this transport now.

7. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

There's talk of a Schiit transport in the works.
    Don't know if it's only a rumor or if it will actually happen.

I believe the Avatar has been discontinued.
    Was interested in this CDT as well.
    I contacted them several weeks ago.
    Basically sold all they were going to build.

muletrane likes this.
  8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes, Denafrips has quit offering the Avatar, even after raising the price by $400. Disappointing:sigh:

displayname likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Buy something which has a Philips CD-PRO2 transport. That's the highest quality, longest lived of the CD transports late in the game. Still rebuildable by at least one or two vendors.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Is there a list somewhere?

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not that I am aware of. But if you find something with that transport, consider it.

13. stephenjh7731

Yes, I heard back this A.M. for my inquiry to Denafrips, as to whether they had plans for a model in black, and they confirmed they no longer offer the Avatar.
    They gave me a link to Jay's Audio Transport! Guess it was too good to be true...too good for the money to last the year's end...
    Will look further into units with Phillips PRO-2.

14. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

I don't know what budget you have, but C.E.C transports are great. Top loading, belt driven and AES output.

KEng likes this.
  15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I use a Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 with an upgraded word clock, from Parts Connexion in Canada. Previously I had a Jay's CDT2 mk2 (remembering the model number off the top of my head, it was around 2200). I paid less than half for the SFT-1. Considering CD listening for me is about 10% of how I listen (50% Roon, the rest on vinyl), I didn't want to have so much wrapped up in a transport, and put it in my DAC instead.

Anyway, I've been really happy with the SFT-1. I've compared it to what is considered a very good Pro Audio DAC word clock and prefer the one PC used. It does have AES/EBU out. But being a transport only, it has no XLR analog outputs.

And while the Jay's was an absolute unit in terms of build quality, I actually think, despite less heft, the SFT-1 is the more solid machine. It's never given me a hint of an issue, where with the Jay's I did have a couple little things here and there. Nothing major, but the SFT-1 has been flawless so far.

Just a thought, good luck!

Tlay likes this.
  16. stephenjh7731

Thanks...checking out both the CEC TL5 and Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 later today. Have always wanted the Lector player or transport but budget is more in line
    with these players.

toddrhodes likes this.
  17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

So I'm guessing that wasn't you that purchased the Lector for sale, that I linked above? Was that a different model than you were looking for?

18. stephenjh7731

If I decide to go with Lector, will probably purchase new or demo from local dealer (in state) who carries the line,
    and has taken care of me in the past.

33na3rd likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I agree with this. C.E.C. always made solid transports and their turntables were excellent. Recommended highly.

KEng and jusbe like this.
  20. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Definitely give them a listen I've heard both the CD player and transport/dac combo at that retailer and both were fantastic.

21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

22. stephenjh7731

Anyone have thoughts as to why U.S. dealer pricing on the C.E.C. TL5 Transport is at $3300, and yet
    many Japanese sellers on Ebay list at around $1200 shipped? Some mention Japanese standard 100V and that
    higher voltage countries would require a "proper transformer....a conversion connector for charge(Plug) & converter."

23. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Eh, many Japanese brands are much cheaper in Japan than overseas. Accuphase for example. The TL5 is €3200 here, so similar pricing. I've seen them go for ~€2000 used/demo unit.

24. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

FYI - not sure about the TL5, but many 100v CEC transports can easily be converted to 120v by a technician and don’t require a transformer. Google it. I did it on a TL3N once, took the technician 5 minutes and he charged me $10.

25. KEng

KEng Active Member

No CEC dealer is selling on eBay, regardless of what the seller may tell you. What you see on eBay are look alikes, fakes, and counterfeit CEC branded products. If you are interested in Genuine CEC products contact your nearest distributor from the list posted on CEC's webpage CEC THE DRIVE | SINCE 1954

Parts and service are only available for Genuine CEC products through CEC distributors and dealers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.