Mobile Fidelity's Run DMC "Raising Hell" 45 RPM and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

It did sell out fast!

On a note related to hip hop at 45 RPM, while this title is sold out at VinylMePlease.com, if anyone wants to know it, this Snoop album is fantastic! Man, this is 11/10 in my book for program and sonics. Just an idle comment while we wait for the Run DMC title.

Doggystyle

mikemoon and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. Complier

Complier Senior Member

The SACD is good stuff.

3. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Still waiting for my Elusive Disc order to ship.
    Anyone else? Did we miss the boat?

4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm kind of surprised this sold out so fast. Did they press the whole 3K on first run.

It seems Mofi vinyl is becoming more scarce and selling out fasting than ever for certain titles.

The good news is that they may approach other hip-hop reissue projects that can be done all analog. This is likely a limited selection due to the nature of some of the recordings.

Some 90s hip-hop titles would sound great but don't OMT exists for many but even a 24 bit master would sound great many titles like VMP has done.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow, finally a reissue from a major audiophile label that isn't one of the core 200 baby boomer favorites done yet again.

not an album that I'd pay this kind of money to have a reissue of, but I'm very glad to see at least a little expansion of the repertoire.

hutlock likes this.
  6. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

"If you are cold, I'll bring you heat...like I brought the whole world my funky beat!"

I'm going to buy the LP.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, finally a different title. And "poof" its gone. MoFi is tightening up and becoming a you snooze you loose/get em quick/extremely limited business now. Guess the atmosphere of whats going on is dictating what they are willing to risk at this point. Cant say as I blame them. Sucks though for those who miss the small window they now have.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Did you pre-order? If not, youll be paying for it on the flippermarkets. This ones going to go for big bucks I bet. Hope not, but I smell three figures easy.

Being an older dude myself, I have to say I get this funny picture in my head of a bunch of us geezers hip-hopping , rapping and throwing peace out signs as we stare through our chained reading glasses looking at what number we got lol.

Briskit likes this.
  9. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

lol I love the metal image there, I got pretty strange looks and laughs once when my daughters were in the music room while I was "rapping" along to the original raising hell lp.

I first heard RH in middle school. A friend had the new cassette and let me borrow it. Great memories, great songs.

My local shop pre-ordered 20 copies a few months ago. I have my name on one of them.

mpayan likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If it truly sold out (and this isn't a marketing trick where you make it disappear and then reappear after all the people who didn't commit already are now energized), that's a good thing. It sends the message that if you put out an audiophile issue of a title that hasn't been done before, you get a lot more enthusiasm than you do for the the 150th reissue of Aja or Kind of Blue.

hutlock and George P like this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Get the SACD if you can, it is awesome!

12. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

Has anyone got their copy yet? I pre-ordered mine several months ago. Wondering if it'll be shipped out this weekend. I saw that Tower Records has the date of release December 4th

13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I canceled my 45 rpm preorder because the SACD sounded so good.

14. Full Circle

Full Circle Forum Resident

Ordered the SACD late last night from Music Direct. Figured there’s not too many left. Thankfully I saw this thread in time. Many thanks to the OP.

George P likes this.
  15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Looks like Acoustic Sounds didn't get any either.

Is there any evidence that the product even exists?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  16. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Got a response from Elusive regarding my vinyl pre-order. Still waiting on stock to arrive apparently.

17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have the original CD and really like it. In what ways is the SACD an improvement?

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A little more bass and clarity in the midrange. Is it worth the upgrade, maybe...

19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

You have to pre-preorder now. All of the MoFi titles in the 2021 Music Direct catalog are able to be preordered now, and they have not 'officially' been announced outside of their catalog. I took advantage of their 15% off Black Friday sale and preordered the titles and quantities I wanted. They did list a few titles in their catalog that have been sold out for a while. I asked the sales representative if listing the Run DMC in the catalog meant that they were again available for preorder and he replied that they have discontinued preorders on that title. He suggested that they had enough preorders to sell their allotment. Buy from the secondary market early, before they realize its scarcity.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    mpayan likes this.
  20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I have the 1999 CD release of Raising Hell. I have no idea if this is a clone of the original CD but comparing it to the MFSL mastering, it sounds like the 1999 CD has an upper-mid boost. You hear right when the samples kick in on "Peter Piper," that hi-hat sizzles and that upper-mid region overwhelms everything else. On the MFSL mastering, Rob pulls it back and it's a much more balanced sound with a creamier midrange. So huge difference, big improvement. I hope MFSL does more hip-hop, it's long overdue.

poe_man and mpayan like this.
  21. The Hud

Is the 1999 CD on the Arista label? If so, it had one of those silver "digitally remastered" stickers on it.

22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Yeah, it's one of these: Run-DMC - Raising Hell

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't get it new, so I had no idea there was a "remastered" sticker.

Would be interesting to compare the original CD with the MFSL, just to see how that mastering holds up.

23. The Hud

I have an original CD, I will compare them when I get the time.

As for the 1999 CDs being remastered, I remember at the time there wasn't much difference between the 1999 and the original. Their whole catalog up to that point had the stickers, and I bought them all, only to feel ripped off because they all sounded the same. Oh well...at least they have the Arista logo on them, so there is one difference.

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

What logo was on them previously?

25. The Hud

Profile Records

Rigoberto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.