Winnipeg CD Shopping

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Dennis Metz, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit Thread Starter

I'll be in Winnipeg later this week. Any good CD shopping there???

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

maybe it's the threads I read, but I have never noticed members from Manitoba.

anyway, good hunting :)

3. Dennis Metz

I may have to resort to the yellow pages.

4. Not sure what's left buy while you're there make sure to stop into a Salsbury's House for a killer greasy hamburger! There's nothin' like 'em!

5. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Wow, I never thought that someone would ever ask about CD shopping in Winnipeg. Of all places, man, lol. Uhh, I have to say that ever since the A&B Sound shut down looking for Cee Dees around town has been slight. I would try Music Trader in Osbourne Village, as they have some decent alternative, local and classic titles for sale, although the bulk of the store is your average used CD fare (REM's Monster, anyone?). Other than that, there is Into The Music located on King Street in the Exchange distrect which features the city's best selection of used vinyl as well as some choice new titles. While you're at it, check out CD Plus at Winnipeg Square (underground on Main Street) and say hi to the manager Chris, who was my old neighbour and boss when I worked for HMV. Tell him Steve sent you and he might give you a discount. Other than that, there are two Best Buys and four HMVs, all of which will horribly gouge you. Anyway, I hope the weather is nice for your visit. Happy shopping, dude.

6. Dennis Metz

Thanks...I'll make sure I mention your name.

7. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Oh man, The Sals. I wouldn't say that Nips are killer, though. They're way more likely to send you to emergency for a day or two than kill ya' : P. The only reason to header to a Sals is for a 1/25 chance of bumping into Burton Cummings and his moustache, who is a part owner of the chain (although you're way more likely to see him punishing the VLTs at The Lid on Pembina Hwy. Homeboy has a lil' bit of a gambling problem, so I hear).

If you're looking for a great place to eat, I would recommend The Round Table, which is also off of Pembina Hwy. The steaks are tasty, they have an awesome selection of beers on tap AND a Golden Tee machine! Book ahead to avoid dissapointment!

8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Both of my parents are from Winnipeg, great place. When I was a kid, my Dad took me to the Record Baron. I'm sure it's long gone.

9. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Dennis, are you talking new or used?

10. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Yep... :sigh:

11. Dennis Metz

Both, but mainly used. New I can get online

12. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

These would be my recommendations too!

13. There actually is one or two Winnipeg members. Haven't seen them for some time. The reason I noticed is because Winnipeg is my home town. Parents and relatives are still there along with many friends.

Pulseczar's post pretty much nails everything, although I thought Into The Music was in Osborne Village. (Been a few years since I've been home.) IIRC, I sold about half of my vinyl to then owner Greg, when he first opened back in around 1987 on Corydon Avenue.

14. Dennis Metz

I'll try to get to all of them. Found some nice discs in Calgary 2 weeks agao!

15. Been gone for years. The owners also opened stores in Calgary under the name Music Baron. The're also long gone.

16. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Unfortunatly, yes. The location they had in Portage Place was bomb, man. In the basement was "The Cellar" where you could cop any number of uncommon alternative, fringe titles, a large selection of new vinyl, fanzines and tee-shirts. I'm sure that had the store been in, say, the Village or Corydon or something, it would prolly still be open. But since it was located in Canada's largest homeless shelter, in the skyway to Eaton's no less, it didn't stand a chance. It's a shame, really.

17. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

As Steve (Pulseczar) already mentioned, Music Trader and Into The Music are the places to go.

There's also CD Plus in Madison Square, across from Polo Park Shopping Centre.

18. Dennis Metz

Thanks for the tips..I'll bring an extra suitcase.

19. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Nah, they moved to the exchange in 2003, I believe. I moved to Utah in the summer of '02, and ITM was still in the Village, but by the time I had moved back, gone! I totally wish that it was still on Osbourne, as the exchange is too far out of the way, and I can't be bothered to stop there. Plus, despite recent efforts to clean it up and make it all trendy, the exchange is still riddled with beggars. I wonder if you sold some Van Morrison wax back in '87, as I know the guy that owns ITM is a huuge VM fan.

20. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I was in the 'Peg on business a couple of years ago and enjoyed the aforementioned Music Trader in Osborne Village. Picked up a Neu! cd and a Barclay James Harvest. There's also a killer bookstore/vegetarian restaurant in the Exchange District, but that's another story...

21. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Said Vegan restaurant is called Mondragon and is actually owned by the guys in Propaghandi. Though kind of expensive, the food is excellent. Kind of a nice place to come down in after tearing around ITM and Ragpickers all afternoon.

22. Looks like I'll be in Winnipeg for a few days at the end of the month so will be on the lookout for cool record stores...

I've got my fingers crossed!

23. Music Trader has a nice website...looks pretty cool and apparently its not too far from where I'm staying so I'll be checking it out for sure.

If I find any gems I'll report back!

24. Music Trader and Sonus Music here I come!

25. Mattie

Mattie Forum Resident

If you have the time and can get around, Sonus Musica on Portage would be my first stop, Eric is fantastic and won't steer you wrong!

Probably Into the Music second. Have a lot but quality is sometimes dodgy and fairly high priced.. sometimes beyond the norm. Haven't been there in a long time for that reason.

Music Trader on osbourne... waste of time... unless your looking for a minty Hootie and the blowfish!

gee i should go out and buy a record!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.