The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Diablo has done great work...I never see any of the s/t's out and about, and I'm pretty sure I have the 97 remaster but never play it. I will take a look see on ebay. I have the US atomic for Signals which sounds great.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Good to know thanks. I'll track one down :)

3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

If we're counting Replay X3, I think the remixed Grace Under Pressure Tour has a few alternate vocal takes here and there compared to the original. There was at least one added vocal bit on the Show of Hands DVD as well, though I can't remember where. It was probably on one of the Hold Your Fire songs, maybe Prime Mover. Not sure about Exit Stage Left. I'll have to compare the DVDs with the VHS versions soon to see if there are more.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    ytserush and aphexj like this.
  4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I suspect there wasn't a lot of involvement from the band as they were always focused on what they were currently working on.

DiabloG and ToddBD like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

As far as mastering the Sector sets goes, the engineer who did them (Andy Van Dette) claims to have been a huge fan of the 70s albums as a kid — but maybe he wasn't as familiar with the 80s, and did a less thorough job cross checking those. Then again, I don't know... MFSL did claim they got sent the tape with the variant "Weapon" mix from the band themselves

c-eling, DiabloG and ytserush like this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There's been a ton of books over the years about varying aspects of the band from lyrical analysis, music construction, philosophy, critical analysis, album by album, album art, touring history, fan stories....but there's been NOTHING about the recording history or any kind of session log. It's likely something like that doesn't exist but it would be pretty awesome if it did.

ToddBD, DiabloG, wellers73 and 2 others like this.
  7. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Absolutely agree! The closest thing is an obscure book by Jon Collins called "Rush - Chemistry" He interviewed Peter Collins and Rupert Hine and got some interesting session details. There are also a handful of candid photographs (probably from the producers’ collections) that have never been published anywhere else.

The only other sources would be magazine or radio interviews with the guys immediately after an album’s release - they usually open up about recording details a bit. My dream would be a Rush version the Beatles Recording Sessions book. Of course, this will likely never happen. But there will certainly be more books attempting to analyze the lyrics to By-Tor...

ytserush and ToddBD like this.
  8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Yeah I guess Chemistry is about the best there is on that front. One of the better Rush books out there overall. Maybe Top 5

I would love a Beatles-like presentation as well, but unfortunately Rush were never that kind of band that would document anything (and they likely didn't have the resources.) There were always in that moment experiencing it first hand.

9. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

Hi, i would like to know your opinion about 2112 AMCY-317
    is it a bad mastering? Bright?
    Thanks in advance

10. DiabloG

The AMCY is the same as the Anthem (aside from level-shifting), so I'd recommend it. It's less bright and thus easier on the ears than the original Mercury.

kevin5brown, ytserush and pmaraujo like this.
  11. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

Thank you

DiabloG likes this.
  12. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

I just bought the Anthem ANC-1-1004

13. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Thank you all for recommending the AMCY-291 Signals. Took several months but found one. The more I play it, the more I love it! Not bright at all and has that bass I love. Great soundstage.

The Atomic sounded flat to me and a few songs are shortened by a few seconds on fade outs/ups: The Weapon, Digital Man.

14. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I kind of wish they resissued all the albums like they did for the 90s remasters but with the Sean Magee masterings, most of them if not all would by default become my favorite CD versions in that case lol

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

As far as recent versions go, are the Sectors sets still thought of highly?

Im not a super collector but those are the best sounding recent versions Ive heard of those albums :)

DiabloG likes this.
  16. DiabloG

AFAIK, the consensus is that the Sectors are, at the very least, an improvement over the 1997 remasters. Compression is really the only issue with them; the EQ is warm and not too harsh. They're still within listenable territory to my ears. For the Sector 2 albums, you're better off with the 40th anniversary editions. They're EQ'd similarly to the Sectors, though they don't have any compression at all. Regardless of SQ opinions, I think Sector 3 is worth owning for the alternate mixes on Hold Your Fire, the extra notes in Mystic Rhythms, and the 5.1 Signals.

17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ooh thanks for that info! I love HYF and hadnt noticed it was remixed. Is it the whole album or just a song or 2?

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It wasn't remixed per se, it is an alternate original mix somehow. They just pulled the wrong tapes.

ytserush, DiabloG and warewolf95 like this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Listen to “Mission”; that’s the most obvious one. There are some extra string parts compared to the original.

ytserush and warewolf95 like this.
  20. DiabloG

I found a Disctronics pressing of Signals yesterday. While I was expecting it to carry the later US mastering, it's identical to the WG Atomic.
    @Robinator, if you're still working on the Rush CD page, do you mind if I provide more EAC peaks? I noticed that the Brazil s/t and the 40th anniversary editions aren't on there.

21. Robinator

Robinator Forum Resident

I can add whatever anyone finds that isn't listed. I have acquired a couple of the 40th releases, just didn't remember to add them. Haven't even opened them LOL!

-Rob

jamesc likes this.
  22. DiabloG

Rush (1993, Brazil, 822 541-2)
    NOTE: Likely a D>A>D conversion of the WG Atomic since What You're Doing has the same fade-in issue at the end. I wonder if it's safe to assume all of the Brazilian Mercury CDs are like this as well.

2112 (2016, 40th Anniversary Edition, Disc 1)

A Farewell to Kings (2017, 40th Anniversary Edition, Disc 1)

Hemispheres (2018, 40th Anniversary Edition, Disc 1)

Permanent Waves (2020, 40th Anniversary Edition, Disc 1)

23. Robinator

Robinator Forum Resident

Plan9, boboquisp and DiabloG like this.
  24. BitterMinnows

BitterMinnows Forum Resident

Been a while since I've posted here last, but I added two Rush CDs to my collection since then!

I ended up getting hold of the WG Atomic of Power Windows and the ('97?) Remaster of Roll The Bones. Both sound quite nice to me, so I think I may stick with these versions for a while.

However, I did think about maybe going after an original Caress of Steel pressing as someone pointed out to me that The Necromancer has a bit of a volume jump after the first half. I have the '97 Remaster, and not remembering this about the mix I played it to see. Listening to it on the remaster, I did feel there was a bit of an increase in volume, but not as much as I had been told. I'm curious- does anyone know if this is present on all versions of Caress Of Steel? Since the remasters are more compressed, would that mean the difference in volume would be greater on the original CDs? Would I be better off getting the Magee vinyl and needledropping it?

25. DiabloG

I would need to listen, but looking at the waveforms of the CDs and Magee hi-res download, the first section is slightly quieter than the rest of the song. Since it's like this on all the versions I've checked, it's probably just the way the song was recorded or mixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.