THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. I’m in a split level house and a short few steps downstairs I took the doors off a small bedroom and widened the opening to four feet and it is open to the hallway. A sort of library alcove.

The cabinets are discontinued BONDE bookcases from IKEA. More of a built in look than their KALAX.

[​IMG]

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Started with Planar 3 in the mid 80’s. Here is what I currently own:

Main System:

Planar 10
    Aura
    Aphelion 2
    RX-5’s
    Osiris
    Isis
    DAC-r

other stuff:

p9
    Aria
    Apheta 3
    Saturn-r
    Ear
    Radio 3
    RX-1

I have some Rega gear...

AmericanHIFI, Marquess, TimB and 10 others like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I just today received a lightly used Rega Fono MM MKIII, purchased from a fellow forumite.

I have it hooked up to my Brio-R, so I can offer a direct comparison to the Brio-R's phono stage. The Brio-R's phono stage is excellent, but the Fono MM MKIII is quite a few notches better. It seems to have more rhythmic oomph and a significantly more spacious soundstage. Bass is tighter/fuller and more textured. There is more delicacy and clarity overall.

Very pleased!

4. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Looks great...did u have to use a shim to raise the tonearm for the Hana cart? Just curious, I have an RP8 as well, but haven’t tried a non Rega cart yet.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. Yes but I have a Seattle local turntable guru who did it for me the beginning of this year. Forgot what exactly he used. He also changed out the back counter weight so the cover would close.

Echoes Myron and louis_anthony like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I guess there are some benefits living in Seattle vs. small town Idaho. Thanks for the earlier link to the cabinet maker.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

That's the same upgrade path I chose... I really enjoyed my Elex-R when I had it but the Sugden takes things to another level.

AmericanHIFI and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

I did the same thing and agree with everything! Especially the soundstage opening up. I found it definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
    How does the Rega and Spendor get along?

Echoes Myron and action pact like this.
  9. action pact

It's a match made in heaven... or, at least, England!

10. Noel Patterson

I'm reading reviews right now on a pair of SA1, pretty decent deal. Always wanted to try some Spendor...

11. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Seem as Bias is no longer on website.
    discontinued ?

12. action pact

Being sealed boxes, the SA1's are less efficient that my SP3/1R2's (85 vs. 88 dB), so they might want more that 5o wpc, not sure.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

My Rega Elex R rocks.
    There

14. Noel Patterson

I'm also thinking I'll be happier with the Dyns for what I listen to. The Spendor would sound great with Jazz (50% of what I listen to) but I think might be missing something for rock. As I can't audition them first, I'll probably pass on them.

15. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I got my Proac DT8’s for exactly that.
    Everything sounds great on em.
    They have good mid bass punch for rock as well.

I went through a TON of speakers before settling on them

Echoes Myron and Noel Patterson like this.
  16. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Didn’t like the Dynaudio speakers. Too bright and not enough punch

17. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Which sugden amp?

18. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

By golly you're right! That must be recent as I saw it up there a few weeks ago. Got mine from Oxford Audio on sale: Bias 2 MM | Oxford Audio

19. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Nice and practical.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. organmorgan

organmorgan Active Member

My first Rega gear set-up was the original clam shell Planet CD and Mira amp which I paired to first series Sonus Faber concertos (which were an honest price here in Italy).

I remember that I tried the Luna amp but the Mira was a lot better so I made the upgrade.

Then after 15 years I replace the Planet with the half size Apollo but I did not like it so I added a Rega DAC and liked it a bunch more.

After a coouple of years I replaced the Mira with an Elex-R, which was a difficult choice because I loved the Mira sound. At first the Elex-R seemed harse and the overall sound "too digital" but after breaking in things settled down.

So many years and so much music.

21. fish

fish Senior Member

How well does a Grado Red fit on a stock RP3?

Ive read that the Grado doesn't track so well?

thanks.

22. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There’s a database online of various contributors’ experience with hum and Grado cartridges at another forum. Rega would be one of the turntables that would be most likely. I added my own experience with a Music Hall turntable and a Grado Red.

23. fish

fish Senior Member

Interesting, why is that?

I had a AT120 with the Grado. The AudioTechnica doesn't have a ground cable. There was no hum.
    does the lack of VTL adjustment require shims?

Database is where?

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It’s the AC motor under the platter. So there are many Pro-Ject, Thorens, Linn, etc. turntables that run across this issue. The database was maintained by someone at AudioKarma. Probably hosted on Google.

fish likes this.
  25. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

My first Rega componet was a RP1 with Bias cart. I gave this TT to my brother and it works for his setup. That was back in 2000 if I remember right. Then a RP3 with Exact cart that is still with me in system #2 (Restored Fisher 500C Klipsch Quartet). Now I have P6/Ania and a Apollo CD player (top load red readout). I have never had the TT hum that most have. The CD player hasn't skipped a beat. I'm sure at some point down the line I will have a P8 or P10.