Your most recent system tweak, did it help or hurt the sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by draden1, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I was looking for an alternative to the felt mat for a Rega P6 turntable. My local store suggested the Les Davis 33 1/3 D mat made from "constrained layer damping" technology. See website Products — Les Davis Audio

I must admit I was not convinced by all the marketing blurb, but my friendly local store offered to demo it on a Rega P8 with Apheta 3 (can't remember the amp or speakers). So we did a quick A/B test using Brothers in Arms. The lower mids had more push and the upper mids had greater clarity. It was an obvious difference. Enough to convince me to purchase it and take it home.

When I got home I could do a far more lengthy comparison on a system I am familiar with. It was similar to what I heard on the P8, there is more beef in the lower mids. Particularly shows up as more emphasis to the start of kick drums and more presence to bass guitar.

There is a greater ability to hear into the mix. I suspect it is tidier in the upper mids. This also shows as an ability to pick up overtones on acoustic guitar and more of the decay to sounds like ride cymbal and even reverb on vocals.

I also thought a brass section sounded more like 3 horns individually and less like one combined sound.

Also, while I don't have a problem with sibilance, I think there is less harshness to "s's" and also quavers on high-hat or ride cymbals.

So I am one happy camper with a very worthwhile tweak for modest outlay and would recommend to anyone with a Rega deck. Probably works well on other decks but I have only heard the impact on the P6 and P8.

Has anyone tried the Les Davis 3D2 isolating pads for sources? After trying this mat I am interested in how well they work.

LakeMountain likes this.
  2. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Did you pay full price for the niagra 3000? What other gear are you using? Power cords? Speakers? Amp? Any room treatment?

I too am in a similar situation as you were. I have a furman pfi and would like what the furman has and offers, but just much more of that formula and I know the niagra’s were engineered by the same guy.

Also was wondering, do you plug your entire system into the niagra 3000? Does it have enough of the correct type of outlets to accommodate your system and needs? Lastly, do you also use Audioquest interconnects and speaker cables or do you use something else? Just wondering if certain cable designs from specific companies that patent their design would be more synergetic and sound better with the niagra 3000 or if the Garth Powell guy designed it so it pairs especially well with cables that Audioquest makes.

— if you ever happen to take a look inside the niagra 3000, could you share with me the size and voltage of the capacitor(s) it uses to deliver the 55-95 amps of instantaneous current or whatever the amount they advertise. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  3. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My responses are in the quote.

yodog likes this.
  4. draden1

I had Blue Jeans interconnects and speaker wire for a couple of years before I really dove into the stereo world. They are extremely well made but I didn’t realize how dark and dull the sound was until I replaced them.

yodog and condorsat like this.
  5. condorsat

condorsat Audio Pragmatist

:laugh: .. True .. had same experience .. change was not subtle.

yodog and draden1 like this.
  6. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I was at a dealer yesterday having a cartridge mounted on my TT.

While we were testing it out we played around with different power cords. I was blown away that changing power cords to the integrated amp dramatically changed the sound. I have always thought that stock power cords were fine. We tried a $99 power cord and a $250 power cord.

I am now saving for a $250 power cord.

yodog, hi_watt, Khorn and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Part of my annual maintenance is to clean all connections with Deoxit too.

doctor fuse, LakeMountain and Khorn like this.
  8. draden1

This is something I might have to get into as it’s been mentioned here and other sites.

Dorian75 likes this.
  9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Yeah I do it once a year at the same time as cleaning and relubing my turntable bearing.

10. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I found that the quality of the connectors are often more important than the cable part.

yodog and Khorn like this.
  11. LakeMountain

I am using Kontakt. It is not cheap but I had good results with it and it is specifically designed for audio, so I assume it is safeKontak Cleaner

Khorn likes this.
  12. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

Just had a smart electricity meter installed and the chap replaced the old cable going from the master fuse to the meter. I swear the noise floor is lower and it's free tweak courtesy of your energy provider :)

yodog and draden1 like this.
  13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I'm auditioning a power cord and am also blown away.

yodog likes this.
  14. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Rolled some small signal tubes, in my preamp and 7868 push pull amp. Amazing difference! Modern JJ ECC83S tubes are noisy compared to Brimars and Rogers 7025s (probably actually rebranded Mullards).

This is a new and fun direction in tube amplification, that I have really only just read about until now. It's like getting new gear. Whoot!

Otlset likes this.
  15. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

I played well-recorded music (ditto the post above).

jj817 likes this.
  16. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Is tube rolling a 'tweak?':)

doctor fuse likes this.
  17. draden1

Sure it is, the first few posts in the thread point out the things we are wanting to get at here.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  18. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

I got the aptitlig butcher block and put it under my turntable and that made a good change for the better in sound. Still blows my mind that putting a piece of wood under a component can change the sound. Now I've been rolling some tunes in my phono pre so that also changes the tone. Still trying to find the right combination of nos tubes.

draden1 likes this.
  19. draden1

Agreed on properly isolating your gear, it makes a big difference. I’ve used different footers and a new rack and all have impacted the sound for the better.

FalseMetal666 and gmcjj like this.
  20. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Which power cord was it?

21. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

Which one? Just curious :)

22. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Audioquest NRG Z3

LakeMountain and yodog like this.
  23. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

I just put that powercord on my preamp ( watch my profile ) and improves the sound in all aspects.
    Change was made from a powerchord in the same pricelevel.

draden1, LakeMountain and aorecords like this.
  24. LakeMountain

Tx! The NRG Z3 has just gone on my shopping list!

aorecords likes this.
  25. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

In my system it's been impressive. I hope you like it.

LakeMountain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.