Has the "Lord Of The Rings" Movie Trilogy Held Up For You?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Home Theater Forum goes down that path too, especially if there's advance word that indicates a new transfer may be less than perfect.

Robert A. Harris indicated that the new "Popeye" Blu-ray was good but not great and people acted like this was an utter catastrophe of epic proportions.

People declared the BD a travesty and canceled pre-orders - total overreaction, as the BD actually looks pretty good!

Once more reviews started to come in - and RAH himself stated that he still thought it was good, though not great - some people looked stupid for their over the top attacks on the disc that they'd never seen...

longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

3. budwhite

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Dang, what a bunch of wackos. Not like any other forums make such insane leaps at the drop of a hat or anything.

:hide:

6. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

7. Oatsdad

Oh, we're predictable here. New remaster comes out: people say "it's the best thing ever" for 2 weeks and then "I prefer the old CD" for 2 weeks and then "if you don't have the 1972 Guatemalan pressing made from the peels of 2-week old bananas, you've never really heard this album!" :laugh:

On the HTF, Robert A. Harris has the same kind of rep Steve does here, except RAH actually reviews dozens of new BDs or 4Ks every year, whereas Steve's comments about new releases tend to be infrequent.

I suspect we'd get more of the kind of over the top nuttiness I saw in that "Popeye" thread if SH reviewed more titles! :cool:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Actually, HTF is far more moderate in general than blu-ray.com or ahem, the Music forum here which is infamous.
    But hey folks, it's the Internet right?
    Opinions are like a*******... you know the rest.

Plan9 likes this.
  9. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Per Peter Jackson, Fellowship was shot on 35mm and a 4k harvest was taken from that.
    FWIW, I have 2 LG OLEDs a 65" and a 77" calibrated by one of the best in the business who also happens to be a long time friend.
    I still don't get a price break though :) but his skill & gear are worth every penny.
    For me, LOTR is the best by a mile it has ever looked on disc media.
    People posting screenshots on the web are worthless well maybe not totally worthless but I never pay attention to them.

The Hud and longdist01 like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oh, the HTF is a pretty calm place overall, but people really get jacked up based on partial info at times there, though.

That "Popeye" thread just rubbed me the wrong way - especially because I'd already seen the disc when RAH posted and I knew it was a nice release!

Plan9 and longdist01 like this.
  11. budwhite

I haven't got my box yet so I don't know how it looks in motion.
    But if it was a new 4K scan of the OCN it probably would have been in the press release as a selliing point.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It has been mentionned right from the announcement more than a month ago. They have been very transparent about how it was done. Everything finished on film was scanned at 4K, everything digital was upscaled from 2k to 4K. Everything was regraded in HDR.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. budwhite

A new 4K master yes.
    But nothing here about a new scan from the 35mm OCN.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy comes to 4K in December
    ‘Lord of the Rings,’ ‘Hobbit’ Trilogies Set for 4K Ultra HD Release Dec. 1 – Media Play News
    'Lord of the Rings,' 'Hobbit' Films Get 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Release - Variety
    Lord of the Rings & Hobbit Trilogies Releasing On 4K For The First Time

"The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson."
    Official Announcement - The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Arrive on 4K UHD December 1 (Warner Bros.)

It was Bill Hunt who started the (35mm OCN)rumor via his sources, and then later everybody ran with it.
    He might be right. He might also have been lied too.
    And he has been wrong many times before so I don't take his word or his sources as the whole truth.

IT’S OFFICIAL: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy arrive on 4K Ultra HD on 12/1!

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have seen it mentionned elsewhere, but I guess it could have been copied from here. If you don't believe *parts* of the films are new 4K scans after comparing the 35mm shots between the old Blu-Ray and the 4K, nothing will convince you I guess. The problem is they tried to homogeneize the 4K 35mm scans with the 2K digital upscales.
    I don't know what to tell you, apart from don't buy the sets then. :shrug: I have no horse in this game.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Anyway, complete upscales or not, these are significantly better-looking than what came before and the best these films have ever looked (and sounded) on home video.

16. budwhite

That I can believe. I'm looking forward to getting my copy

17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've only watched Fellowship so far but I think my impression isn't that the films look better but just that they look more modern. Everything has been sort of cleaned up of grain, sharpened, and graded to the point where it looks as though they could have shot the movie on an Alexa quite recently. The Blu-ray did have quite strong colors but I don't think I ever found anything all that offensive with the color on those as to me they felt like they did a pretty decent job of representing the color grade the way it was intended when they made the films.
    Though I did start watching the iTunes version more which is more restrained like the DVD so I had forgotten that the Blu-ray's colors were not the same as the DVD. Something I took for granted since they split up the Blu-ray onto 2 discs per movie like with the DVDs so I assumed that had just used the same masters.
    The new Atmos mix does seem to be a lot clearer as well.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. budwhite

Here's a good review that gets very technical.

19. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The 4k UHD: They fixed the color grading from that awful green blanket in the FOTR blu-ray, buuuuuuut they scrubbed the grain on the trilogy because Peter Jackson wanted "all 6 movies to look the same". Not gonna start a flame war here, but in short I'm utterly relieved they fixed the colors and utterly devastated that they tried to make LOTR look like a modern movie with DNR and EE. (This also means that the theatrical FOTR has DNR on both the original blu and new 4kUHD release).

Sadly another case of "pick your poison".

(And I hope he has not done this to the Let It Be footage).

PH416156 and Plan9 like this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nothing "very technical" about it. It is good and gets more in detail than the basic consumer review but the guy isn't a professional.
    One thing people fail to realize is that those films were never going to be full 4K scans. They are probably 80%-90% effects shots... They were never going to redo and re-composite every single one of them. Also he says he believes the full digital effects shots have been re-rendered at 4K, but from what I have watched so far I disagree, they are just good 2K upscales like every other digital composite shot in these movies.
    Another thing people don't realize is that focusing on details on static shots is very different from seeing the big picture in motion. Yes, there are big DNR offenders in these releases, I even mentionned it in my short first-time-watching review. There are also shots that lose grain because of the DNR but at the same time gain details in other parts of the frame with the better contrast and colour.
    But I have never seen captures of the effects-free shots that have been scanned in 4K from the 35mm and are relatively free of DNR: mostly close-ups, some shots of the ring, etc. For some reason it is always the worst DNR upscaled shots that are being compared... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  21. budwhite

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) - Page 475 - Blu-ray Forum

Plan9 likes this.
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Bummer. It seems I'll buy this one later, maybe, and only when a good deal appears. In Europe, retail prices usually are close to €100 for Lord of the rings, and €80 for The Hobbit 4k boxsets

"Fellowship of the ring" is my fave one of the trilogy and it sucks that it got DNR on the theatrical Blu, green tint on the extended blu and now the 4K..no grain at all+soap opera effect just like The Hobbit? WTF!:realmad:

The old blu ray editions are, imho, fine, especially if one has never seen these movies and wants to save some money; the theatrical and extended films are very inexpensive nowadays. Heck, I was able to buy the 3D extended "The Hobbit" boxset for €17 a few weeks ago...just to have the 3D versions before they go OOP.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks for the info. Looks like the only thing I watched so far has any "real" 4K in it.
    Still everything is better in these than the old Blu-Rays.

24. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

This is just a plan to get you to buy the next upgraded/improved version to fix the fix that fixed that other thing.

PH416156 likes this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

There isn't any of that to my knowledge. Physical media (at the moment) can't do the high frame rate thing. But otherwise it does appear that Jackson has scrubbed the grain out of the LOTR trilogy, which is a shame as I like the color grading for FOTR and ROTK on the UHD discs.

PH416156 likes this.