What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Wharfedale Linton Heritage! Depending on if you call $1200 "entry level" but regardless they are super nice. Otherwise maybe DIY kits? If you were really interested I could look at that some. As for a sub, your receiver doesn't have output or internal crossover. Now IF you can crank things up all the way and your speakers don't overload from bass, you could add a sub connected speaker level. If your speakers DO overload, then you need an AVR (even a used older one) which will have an internal highpass crossover to alleviate the heavy bass out of your speakers.

Serious subs would be like at least a 12" woofer, 400+ watts, probably over $500. At the other end of the spectrum, this
    Monoprice 12in 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer, Black - Monoprice.com
    nicely filled in the low bass below my brother's 8" in-walls. Won't break the windows, but good bass throughout his large open plan home

fretter likes this.
  2. blackhawkskid6

blackhawkskid6 Forum Resident

Devore Fidelity Gibbon 3XL speakers...maybe

TEA FOR ONE and Rick58 like this.
  3. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Used things.
    This year it was a pair of KEF Coda 3s and a Garrard AP 76, both in storage waiting for someone I know to need them. Next on the radar is some Wharfedale Diamond 3s.

grbluen likes this.
  4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Maybe some new speaker crossover caps?

Other than that - nothing.

grbluen and Rick58 like this.
  5. gryphongryph

gryphongryph Forum Resident

As I have changed most of my equipment the last 2 years, I will probably look for a new dac in the new year.

grbluen likes this.
  6. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

A Denon DRA-825.

Used to be able to find Denon's online out the ace. Now it's slim pickings. Typical...when I want one. Al B. Yuhsumummahbech.

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

2021 will be dedicated to TV and maybe 4k bluray player (though it will be hard to find something to replace my Cambridge CXU : used CXUHD or oppo 205 are scarce).

Maybe i'll have a look at the Pioneer players, Sony X1100ES as a last option.

grbluen likes this.
  8. MayoStudenT

MayoStudenT Leonard Cohen Fan

I’m going to “try” and not purchase any components this year and instead have fun with little tweaks and cable swaps, tubes. Maybe I can kindly talk my dad into building me a nice double shelf. :)

9. Konrad_P

Konrad_P Active Member

Marantz NA-11S1
    RCM Sensor II

10. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Ivand, grbluen, Kyhl and 12 others like this.
  11. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Technics SL1210G or GAE (if available at MSRP). I was not on the "audiophile" bandwagon a few years ago and not certain which came first, G or GAE, but I don't mind holding out until the 1210G becomes available. Still enjoying my belt drive but would love to try out the current direct drive tech.

grbluen likes this.
  12. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Probably cables. Certainly power cables for the amps and then, who knows. Maybe save for a Vacuum cleaner for the LPs.. or upgrade the power supply of my phonostage... or turntable.

Damn this hobby.

grbluen and Rick58 like this.
  13. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

displayname, Rick58 and Joe Spivey like this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

+1

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I expect to buy several more rolls of wire for personal use in installation upgrades.
    Just tore out the rehearsal room and went completely balanced stem to stern.
    Used the better part of a 250 foot roll of Mogami just on that.
    It's all dead quiet now---what a difference!

Today I wall mount the 65" TV in our Master BR.
    Extra wall bracket tray will hold Tivo/Blu-ray/ Roku on wall next to dresser.
    Has a sub---speakers now no longer free standing, will go to right and left of TV on wall.
    Won't sound as good but will look so vastly much cleaner I'm going for it.

Surround sound playback upgrades will come in a week or two.
    Have a current 7.2 system in the theater room with twin 15" subs.
    Power amp section of my Onkyo just died like so many of that model do.
    New Marantz SR8015 is now available, will order probably today.
    Has a toridal transformer and they sound nice.
    Maybe THIS one will last a while.
    Current Sony UBPX800 player handles SACD and DVD-Audio.
    Planning on adding a pile of new surround discs to my collection before multichannel dies completely.
    I'm a die hard stereo guy because that is such a practical layout for most rooms and for more program material stereo can't be beat.
    But multichannel is FUN!
    Upgrading all wiring to HDMI 2.1 HDCP2.2.

Oh, and you didn't ask but next year I'll be itching to upgrade my projector.
    4K projectors are lagging behind the industry in feature set as the projector market and surround sound doesn't seem to be a big market at this moment here in the US.
    We are all getting too poor and falling behind the world market?

It's just money.
    Thank goodness I can sit at home with my gear and ignore the darn world for a while.
    And at age 72 this hobby is keeping me happy as I get a thrill with each new install plan.
    On the job I had guys to do all this labor---but now it's all on me, the elderly guy, to do it all myself.
    FUN!
    I only wish I could do installs all year long, but when the weather gets nice I need to ride motorcycles and look for trouble to get into.
    At least in the winter my wife knows I am nice and quiet and working my butt off on installs right here at home.
    The new set of Ludwig drums are sounding better the more I bang on them.
    Plans for recording a new album of personal music are in the works.
    I have a few things to say about the current situation and I love to hear myself talk so there's that.
    Have a great year everybody!
    Stay positive, it pisses off the Blue Meanies to no end! Yay!

264win, avanti1960, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  16. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I’d like to reorganize my set up. That likely involves audio furniture and, eventually, new cables and power-related items.

grbluen, Rick58 and Doctor Fine like this.
  17. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

Luckybaer reminds me. In addition to a new TT, I'll need a place to put my old one. Soooo, I'll be getting furniture to house my vintage system in the basement.

grbluen and luckybaer like this.
  18. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Maybe upgrade my closed headphones...Focal Elegia?

grbluen and JorgeGvb like this.
  19. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

I'm pretty happy with my main system at the moment, but I'm watching for a reasonable deal on a Rega Aethos. Currently Rega Cursa into Rega Exons, but I'd like to have a one-box solution. I can hold out for a good deal, though.
    Really need to figure out better CD and LP storage this year. I switched my listening room a few months back, into a smaller room of our house...and have yet to figure out to squeeze my CD racks in there - it's a no-go, so now...do I need new CD racks? Do I need new LP AND CD racks? Still not sure. It feels like a pretty good problem to have, though.

grbluen likes this.
  20. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

Ordered an Outlaw RR2160 the other day. Said delivery in time for Xmas but I don't plan to see it till 2021. I hope I can contain myself and be content after this. At least for a year or two.

21. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I’ve reached the point with my two main systems that any marked improvement would likely cost more than I’m prepared to spend. I am, however, contemplating an RCM—looking forward to more reviews of the new Okinawa Nokki One and Go.

grbluen likes this.
  22. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

Trying to sort out a way to get the Audio Note Legend based on a DET25 or DA100 valves. Not sure it will happen but trying to sort it out. :)

grbluen, jonwoody and NapaBob like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Looking for a second sub for the garage system, an exact match is no longer available NEW, so I'm watching for a used one to pop up.

Also looking for a reasonably priced MQA DAC.

grbluen likes this.
  24. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Hmmmm....

Nothing comes to mind for indoors.

This past week I picked up a single Polk Atrium 8 SDI (black), open-box like-new great price, and am looking for a second. They'll be replacing the Atrium 4s that I use on my front porch come next Spring. That gives me a few months to find another. (I guess I should post a "wanted" ad.)

That's it for "planning" for 2021. Then again I think less than half the stuff I buy comes as a result of a well-defined plan. :)

Jeff

ps. Not exactly "stereo" but some time in 2021 I'll be setting up a surround sound A/V system in an area of my basement that I'm turning into a workout room. I've already got the audio side covered gear-wise, however I just might buy a bigger flat screen display than the existing one I'm currently planning to use.

grbluen and Doctor Fine like this.
  25. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I was looking at the PS Audio Stellar Strata. Not sure if the 3k price tag will give me that much more over my Cambridge integrated amp.

grbluen likes this.