Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BFXIVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Y-HZFb68T35BD

And a homebrew solution, along the lines of the London Jazz Collector one.

But I'm using the ultrasonic cleaner followed by a distilled/IPA rinse or vaccuum now (still undecided which way to go). Both methods are working great.

My concern now is when I compare some of my older records to most video examples of static, they are very similar.

To be honest I've pretty much come to the conclusions that these LP's are as clean as I can get and the noise is just there now. My new (and some old), clean records sound amazing.

2. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agree the size of the unit is attractive. Saves room for more records!

Rob6899 likes this.
  3. Joe Spivey

The tank is interesting and the way it's designed in operation is unique. Kinda like a single use thing which gives options on how to move forward with the rest of your cleaning. Re-wash, rinse, re-rinse... it's up to the user on what to choose.

Rob6899 likes this.
  4. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Fair point, if it comes to fruition at that price it will definitely fit in my cleaning system somewhere. I can work around any shortcomings lol.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  5. Joe Spivey

Well the campaign has more traction with over 150 backers. Kind of interesting to see the breakdown of who they are so far...

[​IMG]

slcaudiophile and Rob6899 like this.
  6. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

As someone who is looking for their first RCM, this is very intriguing. However, i dont want to wait until next July

7. Joe Spivey

Totally get why some would not want to wait. The campaign has until the end for Jan. to reach its funding goal. If they do reach it, then they'd expect to deliver in July. I actually think it's a reasonable amount of time all things considering. I did read somewhere if they reach the goal early, they'd be able to shorten the timeline.

8. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

totally reasonable timeline and i think if i already had an RCM id be willing to wait. But as someone looking for their first, 8 months away is a long time. I wanna git cleanin’ now damnit!

Joe Spivey likes this.
  9. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

I currently use an Okki Nokki and although it does a fine job, I really hate cleaning records manually. I would love an all singing all dancing US machine but there is no way I'd pay 4 figures for one. This looks like a very good compromise. My previous experience with Kickstarter was fantastic having backed the Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube SC-2 - Click Repair and Recording device which has turned out to be one of my best hi-fi purchases.

I pledged last night and since then it looks like quite a few more have piled in. Fingers crossed that it gets produced and is reliable.

Andrea_Bellucci and Joe Spivey like this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

You give someone free money with no obligation for them to ever finish their project or send you a perk for donating.

11. Joe Spivey

I'm not very knowledgable but some great audio products have come from Kickstarter programs. As you stated and know first-hand, the Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube. I also think the recent Degritter US cleaning machine was as well. Or was that Indigogo? Either way the risk seems to be worth the reward for most.

12. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

Oops - Actually the Sugar Cube was via Indiegogo. The memory fades :sigh:

Joe Spivey likes this.
  13. How much better would this be, than say a Record Doctor, which sells for $199 on Amazon?

14. AXington

AXington I'm that b.

It would if it exceeded a really really fast speed so that it would spin so fast that it could possibly miss certain pieces of the surface between cycles... of course you'd have other problems then, like it spinning so fast it liquifies or gets thrown about the house like Kung Lao's hat in Mortal Kombat.... Fatality!

But really, it would be better if it didn't rotate at all. Tehre's a VERY VERY VERY small possibility of damage from the surface moving for some technical reason I cannot remember off the top of my head, but supposedly that's incredibly remote.

I really don't see it, I've been working on something like this at home in my spare time with nothing more than a 3D printer, an arduino, and some really inexpensive parts designed for watercooling computers from my local comp store, and some other small electronics.

Most of these units have much less than 300W of power, in fact, most I see in the small chinese US cleaners are less than 100W. And a lot of the noise from the US cleaners I've worked with is from unsecured parts, connections, wires, lids, etc... IE, rattling. Theoretically, 40kHz is well beyond human hearing so it should be pretty damn quiet...

Are you familiar with watercooling PCs? A small pump, seals etc, done all the time on the cheap this AIO cooler from Coolermaster has a built in pump with adjustable speed and lighting for like $70USD MSRP, I'm pretty sure I've seen even more inexpensive ones, but I'm too lazy to look for more. They sell hundreds of thousands of these things and their margins are actually pretty HIGH. https://www.amazon.com/CoolerMaster.../B086C1PK2Y/ref=psdc_3015422011_t1_B079NXZQBC

And then lets talk about the fact that they can't have a very high failure rate on those or people's computers would be destroyed.

You can honestly just use a pump like this too: US $2.28 23% OFF|Ultra quiet DC 12V 4.2W 240L/H Flow Rate Mini Aquarium Fish Tank Pump Landscape Fountain Waterproof Brushless Pump QR30E|Fans & Cooling| - AliExpress

$3 USD, and with barbed fittings, you just need to secure it with a small hose clamp that can be had for like 30 cents...

And please stay with me on this, they're not paying retail prices for any of this ****, and everything I'm showing is retail pricing. Their cost for this stuff, is much much much much much less than retail.

Really?
    80mm fan – Buy 80mm fan with free shipping on AliExpress
    80mm fan filter – Buy 80mm fan filter with free shipping on AliExpress

Two fans + two filters can be had for less than 10 dollars. And as for complexity? Seriously? Have you never heard of 3D Modeling or 3D printers?

Search Thingiverse - Thingiverse

You think that it's more complex than either of these, made by hobbyists, in their spare time?
    Active filter (with 40mm fan) for Mask L by _MSA_
    Prusa i3 MkII Extruder Fan Filter Cage by SkippyMcSlappyPants

Seriously...
    LP spinner for ultrasonic cleaners by dc740
    Working 5 speed transmission model for Toyota 22RE engine by ericthepoolboy

Can be had on mouser for less than $1 each. As for complexity... a few lines of code. Like, seriously, less than 10 lines of python.

Maybe if they were building this in the U.S. or Europe. But they're not. They also have their own factory that's been in operation for 20 years. I'm pretty sure they've done the financial homework. But did you even read their kickstarter page before you shat all over this?

Also, remember that Kirmuss, Audiodesk, etc are doing their Ultrasonic Cleaners at a much much smaller scale. When you start getting professional factories in the mix, making thing in China, costs go WAAAAAAAAY down. But I guess typical audiophile mentality says if it's not $1000 bucks it's ****.

15. Joe Spivey

Good question. I think it comes down to which method you believe is best for you...vacuum or ultrasonic... and others would say both should be used.

ampguy likes this.
  16. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Yes. It could potentially spin so quickly time would slow to a stop. Then it would spend eternity in the tank and you'd never be able to hear the record.:winkgrin:

17. harby

harby Forum Resident

Usually, "we were going to build this anyway, but who would turn down free money?"

18. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Am in the market for exactly this kind of device and have looked over the website. Am not sure of the specifics. You can pay about $360 for the device and shipping with a projected date of July 2021. What happens if it doesn't get built? Is the entire amount refunded? There appear to be different categories of "Backing" and "Purchase." Have the people above bought the unit? Thanks.

19. Joe Spivey

This is straight from Kickstarter site

“Every project creator sets their project's funding goal and deadline. If people like the project, they can pledge money to make it happen. If the project succeeds in reaching its funding goal, all backers' credit cards are charged when time expires. Funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. If the project falls short of its funding goal, no one is charged.”

If you’d like to pledge to make the campaign successful and move into the production phase, complete the pledge for the early bird special.

20. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Again, to clarify: You put up your CC and when the total amount of pledges reaches the goal then you are charged (Late January). Then you receive the unit later, about July. Is this correct? It's that time span between January and July that might be a problem.

21. Joe Spivey

[​IMG]

22. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

My understanding is also that there’s some risk even if the project moves forward, you’re still not guaranteed to receive the item.

As other posters noted, if this is actually an established company with a track record, that risk may be less, but still no guarantee.

I think a lot of people got burned on the Mag-Lev turntable, never receiving their kick-starter early bird TT, even though the company continued to sell the product through outside channels for a higher price.

MAG-LEV Audio | The First Levitating Turntable

If I have any of the above wrong, someone feel free to correct me. I just want to put the risks out there so there’s not a false sense of security, as not everyone can afford to lose the investment put into seeding a project like this.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, I was looking at this discussion on Kickstarter recently and it seems that many people did not receive their MAG-LEV turntables. The company has treated these who backed them up on Kickstarter very badly. Scary stuff.

24. Joe Spivey

Wow, that seems like a big ol' dumpster fire of a project. Not that I'd ever be in the market for a levitating turntable but I do feel sorry for those folks. As you said there are risks...

I think reading over this fulfillment report is helpful for anyone not familiar with Kickstart and considering any Kickstarter campaign.

Kickstarter Fulfillment Report

captouch likes this.
  25. What I’d want to know before backing is how is the record supported in the tank, and what keeps it from rubbing on the section it sits between? Too bad the video doesn’t show a view from the top, or the inside of the tank. Until I can get a look I’d be worried of potential damage to the LPs.