Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean, that would be cool.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Read it somewhere.... today.

3. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

In my opinion you can stick a fork in success like the the MCU/Fox built/started and achieved, which is over now in story and the main actors who gave the characters and the mcu it's draw and following.
    There are few actors left, and I would bet they will be gone and glad to be once their obligations are over, and if they did, or do decide to do anything more in the mcu they wouldn't sign major movie deals, as imo I think they are smart and see the ship fought, won and sailed on.
    New mcu could do ok, but I doubt it would be close to what they did, like they did.
    They did strike lighting though, but I doubt it happens again in the same place.

All the talk and speculation is just that, with the hope to keep interest up.

This is just my take on it.

PH416156 likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

5. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Do you mean Marc Webb doing an Amazing Spider-Man 3?

I don't think that's gonna happen -- I believe the second one was a flop critically, which is why the character was kind of "reinvented" with Tom Holland in Captain America: Civil War.

I thought it was the worst of any of these, but I have a soft spot for Raimi's trilogy (notably the second, which I think plays like it stepped right out of the pages of the books, right down to Octavius' casting with Molina).

However -- there is that moment at the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2 where we are hinted at Spidey fighting the Sinister Six...unless I'm confusing this with another film...

Anyway, we have to see how it all plays out, because now we have Venom in the mix, plus the hints at Spidey coming into play within the Doctor Mobius universe (we see his poster in the Mobius trailer).

[​IMG]

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

While I'm not the biggest fan of those, I DO like Raimi!
    and, I'm hoping he works his directing magic on "Dr. Strange 2"!

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Lots of updates released yesterday from Disney/Marvel

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Deuce66

9. Deuce66

10. Deuce66

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

So they are going to make a “Black Panther” movie without the Black Panther in it? That’s the impression I got from the press release. Will the movie focus on all of the other characters from the first movie?

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I partly agree with you: I think the Morbius movie looks stupid, and, while the original Shang Chi comics illustrated by Paul Gulacy were certainly cool, I have my doubts that Marvel can elevate C-list characters to stardom, although I would have to say that I have enjoyed the Ant-Man movies far more than any other Marvel Comics movies, so there is certainly some potential to mine gold out of lesser known characters.

Having said that, the WandaVision trailers I have seen look like they’re pushing the envelope a little bit beyond slam bam action in a way that I find interesting, although I’ve seen the “characters trapped in a simulated environment” story line many times before. Yet playing with 50s, 60s, and 70s sitcom tropes through the characters of the Vision and the Scarlet Witch is a bit of a fresh idea compared to Thor and Thanos beating each other up.

Also, the Marvel fanboy of my childhood is excited that they’re giving the Fantastic Four one more shot. Hopefully this time they get it right. I’ve watched two of the other three FF movies and just didn’t think they were very good. The Lee/Kirby FF was, is, and always will be my favorite comic book, and this is one big budget superhero franchise I could get behind if they do it justice.

ubiknik and alexpop like this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The Black Panther is a title that has passed between numerous characters in the comics. It's not as forced as passing a shield or a hammer around can be since the identity was conceived as a title, not just a superhero alter ego.

So anything's possible, really.

Oatsdad likes this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yes, but this is the official Disney tweet:

“Honoring Chadwick Boseman’s legacy & portrayal of T’Challa, @MarvelStudios will not recast the character, but will explore the world of Wakanda & the rich characters introduced in the first film.”

I read that as “We are not going to pass the costume on to a new actor or to a new Black Panther, but explore the secondary characters from the first film.”

Maybe I’m wrong. If I’m right, it’s a touching tribute to Chadwick Boseman, but a somewhat risky move, I’d say. Maybe Boseman and the character and the first movie generated so much goodwill that people will still turn out for the second one anyway.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean, they're not going to recast T'Challa. Nothing said about recasting the Black Panther :) It's a tough call. Recast, and you run the risk of encouraging the concept of minority actors as easily swappable. There are already Terrence Howard (the original James "Rhodey" Rhodes/War Machine from the first Iron Man) comparisons being made. Leave the character alone and you run the risk of people not bothering with the followup.

I would predict a new T'Challa at some point, maybe in a few years after the multiverse is fully established and another actor can be chosen.

David Campbell likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t think anyone would hold them at fault for “encouraging the concept of minority characters as easily swappable.” Chadwick Boseman died. That was a horrible, unfair, unexpected tragedy, but it’s not as if he’s still alive and they kicked him to the curb. They’ve shown nothing but respect for him. They’ve been put in a situation where there is perhaps no good answer to how to make another Black Panther movie, but it’s hardly as if anyone is disrespecting Chadwick Boseman.

Isaac K. and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe get the Creed dude, he was the best thing in BP imo.

19. Kaskade10729

That would be Michael B. Jordan...

20. Kaskade10729

To me, there will never be a Peter Parker like the one we saw in Maguire, and I feel like Raimi just had a handle on the material. The twitchy, awkward performances from Garfield in the Webb reboots were a complete disaster (it was almost difficult to watch his behavior in the two Webb films, especially when he was in sequences opposite Stone; maybe I'm just too old for this **** now because I don't understand kids of today) and he just didn't look or sound right under the costume and mask.

The biggest problem I have, though, is in the Holland generation of the Spidey universe where they turned Aunt May into a sexy MILF-esque character (with the gorgeous Marisa Tomei) after all the years she appeared as a silver-haired old lady so perfectly embodied by Rosemary Harris (who looked like she came off the pages of the books).

I mean, we went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Motorcity supernaut and PH416156 like this.
  21. Kaskade10729

I didn't hear anything about a solo film for Falcon and/or Bucky -- is this supposed to be a feature film or more of a spinoff show?

Edit: Saw the thing at the end...

Damn, this would have made a great feature...

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Part of this is that they completely removed the Parker's poverty from the equation, which was a significant motivator for young Spider Man in the comics. He had no money, Aunt May had no money, and he was tempted at times to break the law to help make ends meet. The Raimi films caught some of this (and to me those first 2 are light years better than any made since). Making May younger allows her to be employed and make money, so Peter can now have the time to travel and fight crime and lean on resources from Stark Industries. It removes some of the humanity from the character of Peter and makes him pretty annoying a lot of the time. Even in those early comics when he was being a jerk to the Fantastic Four et al, the reader understood he was a bit desperate based on his condition.

mx20 and PH416156 like this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They recast Edward Norton as Bruce Banner — did anyone complain about that?

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

A few people, yeah. Wasn't mass hysteria or anything.

Norton was also known for being kind of a dick behind the scenes. That tends to quiet too many complaints about someone getting the boot.