Zavvi: Best of Jazz Starter Kit - All Time Classics Albums – Set of 10 Mystery Vinyl LP

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by atlantasteven, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

I did a quick search of their website and they only seem to stock one DOL jazz title. Blue Train by Coltrane. So hopefully that’s not what they’re up to. Maybe they’ll just stick one copy of that in each bundle? It’d go in the bin to be fair.

2. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't think they'll actually include it despite the WaxTime logo on their product page, so far it's been all De Agostini as far as I'm aware. They seem to have built up a bit of an audience with these, as they seem to sell out quite fast; they would probably lose a lot of that if they start sending public domain EU presses.. For us who got a pack in one of the earlier iterations, it's more likely that there'll be a lot of dupes (which would make much nicer gifts than DOLs) :)

It looks like mine will ship tomorrow or Thursday too, will post whatever it is soon.

3. Well, I ordered 5 x "Mystery Jazz Starter Sets"

4 were delivered this afternoon.

All 4 sets are "mysteriously" the same:

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
    Go - Dexter Gordon
    Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
    Getz/Gilberto - João Gilberto and Stan Getz
    Money Jungle - Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, and Max Roach
    Out To Lunch - Eric Dolphy

I'm not holding out much hope for "mystery" set number 5.....

Ital Galore likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They only guaranteed that all the albums in one set would different.

Also, I imagine that one reason they dropped from 10 to 6 albums was that they no longer had 10 different albums to put in a set.

I ordered a couple of sets, and my guess is that one set becomes a gift, in total.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s not DOL, all DeAgostini.

Petter Premberg likes this.
  6. That would be fine, if they spelt it out like that - i.e. all multiple sets will be/or will likely be the same album titles....

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I get that it's disappointing. I bought a couple of sets hoping for some diversity, as well. But I can't fault them for a misleading description.

8. Petter Premberg

Good stuff. Did you get the same as @Mr Shing-A-Ling posted above? Those have all featured heavily in previous packs (though there's usually been a little bit of variation, not all exactly the same)

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My sister got exactly the same.

I await my two orders. I expect they’ll both be the same and the same as my sister’s. They did warn us.

I’ll already have them all, from when I was a subscriber.

10. Petter Premberg

Ah alright, yeah might be that they only have those 6 left, but loads of copies of them. I wouldn't be unhappy with that; I don't have Mingus and the others would all be excellent gifts / trade-ins in the local shop :)

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Got my two sets today. Exactly the same albums in both, exactly the same as someone else posted above.

A friend of mine who got four sets got his--also exactly the same albums in each set.

But what was unexpected was that with a few exceptions, all the albums are open (not sealed). One of my Getz/Gilberto was sealed, the other was not. Same with Dexter-Go (one sealed, one not). My friend got 3 sealed copies of Money Jungle and one sealed copy of Getz/Gilberto.

Not sealed doesn't make for very attractive gift giving. Oh well.

12. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Three of mine are unsealed. My first thought is they were returns, but they look perfect.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

See? Now, I consider the fact that all the 6-packs are the same a disappointment, but not a cheat.

I do consider the fact that the albums aren't retail sealed a cheat.

But live and learn.

14. Petter Premberg

Well, I guess they had to have _some_ kind of mystery in there.. Will you get a sealed Money Train and an unsealed Somethin' Else, or the other way around?? :D

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Were the albums uniformly sealed in the first go-round (10 LP sets), or is this just how they are?

16. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Of my original ten, only Somethin' Else was unsealed. I already had a copy anyway, so I used it as a swap with a friend.

17. Petter Premberg

I think Somethin' Else and Speak no Evil were open, rest sealed. I didn't mind though, they both sounded as good as the others and were of course ridiculously cheap. But you're right, sealed would be nice this time as they will mainly be gifts/trade-ins

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Girlfriend just received two sets. ALL copies are unsealed.
    One set is perfect. The other has suffered severe damage to Getz/Gilberto, sleeve and record.

19. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

To be fair the ad said

"No duplicates per individual set - Please Note: Ordering more than one set may result in receiving duplicate title"

Pretty clear to me.

Regarding the opened copies, I read so many people saying they'd sent copies back to deAgostini as they didn't meet ridiculous audiophile quality standards that would have been fine for a normal person. Without fail they were replaced, no question. I assume this is the company trying to recover some of those losses. This is for a top quality label-licensed recording and pressing on 180g vinyl for £14.99 delivered and including a very high quality magazine about each release. Jeez, some people. I think deAgostini underestimated the anally retentive nature of the demographic that would get into the series.

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

In fairness, a lot of the DeAgostini pressings were faulty. I myself was a subscriber for the first 50 issues and had to complain about at least ten of those releases. I agree that the vast majority were superb but the few that weren’t were not just poor but all had the same issues - which were swishing and interference often on one side and not the other, indicating poor quality control.

I can’t speak for what individuals did but in my case I was never asked to return anything. Missing or defective records were replaced without quibble, often taking over three weeks. What is more likely is that these are unsold stock returned from retailers who didn’t manage to sell them (a lot of titles were hardly mainstream newsagents’ fare).

Perhaps these “opened” copies were never sealed by DeAgostini in the first place (they appear to be excellent), awaiting their green sticker and cardboard support/magazine, but just never reached that stage.

Wish they’d now start giving away The Beatles at these prices !

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  21. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

So the perfect thread topic on SH Forum lolz :)

mrjinks and hutlock like this.
  22. imarcq

Got mine now. Same six as everyone else. So six repeats from first batch, but two unsealed. All in perfect condition fortunately. So I'll keep the unsealed records, swap for my (fortunately) two previous sealed copies, and either gift or flip a set of six sealed dupes depending on how generous I feel! :)

superstar19 likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow. You got four out of six sealed? Out of six sets between my friend and me, we got about 8 sealed.

:realmad:

24. imarcq

Actually, I misremembered...it's three sealed and three unsealed. So 50:50. They seem to be in mint condition, and no cover dings luckily. My first order, the original set of 10, were all sealed. So those are the ones I can swap for gifting or selling as I haven't opened them yet. I'll keep the unsealed duplicates for myself if they play well.

superstar19 likes this.
  25. Ital Galore

Ital Galore Forum Resident

I will be happy with this lot
    as I already own on lp

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
    Getz/Gilberto - João Gilberto and Stan Getz

so it was worth the risk whenever it turns up in Australia
    they seems to think it will be here between 21 st and 24 th of December

I will be very surprised if it does

imarcq likes this.
Thread Status: