Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin teaming on 6-part TV docuseries, "3, 2, 1"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't" Thread Starter

Paul McCartney, Rick Rubin Teaming On 6-Part TV Docuseries – Deadline

Paul McCartney and top record producer Rick Rubin are joining forces on a six-part documentary series that will amount to a behind-the-scenes magical mystery tour of McCartney’s unbelievable musical journey. Rubin will be there to explore the music and musicianship of McCartney, from his first guitar and composition all the way to through the legendary and prolific success of The Beatles.

The great musician releases his latest album, McCartney III, on Friday.

Endeavor Content will finance the project and handle worldwide sales, and that process is getting underway as we speak. Film 45 is producing as is Frank Marshall, who just directed The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, and Jeff Pollack. The project is untitled and it will mark the first time ever that the original masters have left Abbey Road.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  2. More Than A Feeling

More Than A Feeling Little River, Big Adventures!

Let's see how quickly this gets to 100 pages.

Sean, javilu77, thnkgreen and 7 others like this.
  3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Would much rather have Rubin getting McCartney and his band in the studio to produce and record a new album! I've always wanted Rubin to produce a McCartney album.

Sean, javilu77, Wingsfan2012 and 16 others like this.
  4. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Yes definitely.

javilu77 likes this.
  5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

McCartney just never stops. Incredible, really.

Boognish, Sean, TommyTremor and 15 others like this.
  6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Produce? sure. Have final approval on mastering? Yikes. Though I suppose it wouldn't be much different than what we have been getting.

Sean, BraveLion, klockwerk and 3 others like this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

That was my first thought.

It’s the old cliche . He’ll sleep when he’s dead, because he always seems like he’s full steam ahead when he’s on this planet.:p

8. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

“The project is untitled and it will mark the first time ever that the original masters have left Abbey Road.”

I’m confused. Why would the original master tapes have to be taken out of Abbey Road?

Sean, BDC, omikron and 3 others like this.
  9. Bside2Seaside

Bside2Seaside Forum Resident

It says it goes all the way up to The Beatles, but they clearly are listening to Live And Let Die from 1973 in the clip .... I wonder how far past the Beatles they go...

CDC and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I’ll always take more docs

Galaga King and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Beatleboy1968

Beatleboy1968 Forum Resident

The preview clip has me hanging for more !

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the original masters left Abbey Road House long ago to be stored in the vault of whoever owns such things. The company that's producing this program would (I assume) have access to digital copies of the masters.

Apparently multi-tracks are also being used in this documentary and I'm willing to bet those are digital copies of the multi-tracks; again probably not stored at Abbey Road.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    andrewskyDE and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. Bside2Seaside

Bside2Seaside Forum Resident

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I just saw this on YouTube and thought for sure there would be discussion on SHF on this - some hating on Paul, some loving on Paul, and lots of hate for Rick Rubin (for reasons I have never understood).

jfeldt, Wil1972, Brian Mc and 4 others like this.
  15. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I don't want Paul to stop doing anything. He's creatively restless and we're the beneficiaries of that. If I could name 2 or 3 producers that I would love to see Paul work with, Rick Rubin always comes to mind. I hope a Rick Rubin produced album comes out of this.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Looking good! Hope this will come on Blu-ray sometime later.

Charles Adams and marklamb like this.
  17. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Dumb question, but when is this series supposed to be coming out? And where?

Or is that info still to be determined? I assumed it was a tie-in to tomorrow’s release of McCartney III, but I don’t see any specific info.

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

2021. Somebody linked or described a post in the McIII thread that said something like "stay tuned for more information in 2021."

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Since the trailer shows Paul demonstrating different parts on different instruments, I can't imagine that the curiosity wouldn't get the better of them and they'd do at least a one-off.

As for people hating on Rick Rubin, if that's really a "thing" then I don't get it either. His status should be cemented by what he did with Johnny Cash and Tom Petty, not even mentioning all the rap stuff he's done.The guy gets results! (The Johnny Cash albums got increasingly compressed on CD, so maybe that's the cause of some of the ire around here. Understandably.)

omikron, theMess, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  20. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

If multi-tracks are being used, that means remixes?

Max Wilbury likes this.
  21. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Fullbug and whisper3978 like this.
  22. "'He's great, he's sold records, its bloody Rick Rubin, shut up"!

APH, BeatlesObsessive, ARK and 4 others like this.
  23. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I didn't want to be the first with this ultra-petty nitpick but here goes - god I hope it's not really all in black and white. It should be all about the music, not about giving this thing an overly artful patina. "We are doing something monumental here...." Yeah, so let's not shroud it in shadow, shall we?

spanky1 likes this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Recording a new song together as a single (or even EP) would be a great way to promote this docu-series. One can hope!

theMess, Sean Murdock and Galaga King like this.
  25. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’d be OK with black and white — then have color splash in with Sgt. Pepper.

unfunkterrible likes this.