Queen "A night at the opera" poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Good, but not great. I much prefer the three earlier albums. Some very strong songs on this one, but I really dislike "The Prophet's Song" for example.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A very good album!

3. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

..Jazz is the weakest of the 70s albums for me, but again is still pretty great...

Shawn, carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  4. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

The Prophets Song is epic.

JosepZ, Natural E, Miles1968 and 2 others like this.
  5. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I even like the two 'silly' tracks.

ChoonyFish and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The sheer ridiculousness and how fast moving it is makes Jazz one of my favourites. I also love the sound of it.

Ludger, Jarleboy and RobNeil like this.
  7. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

The production is often criticised but can't say it bothered me that much when I was 5.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like everything 70s Queen. It isn't until A Kind of Magic they put out songs I dislike. The mid to late 80s did strange things to great bands. With Queen I enjoy just about everything though.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nor me when I was about 11. It needs a good powerful stereo to sound great though, along with the original vinyl or 80s CD.

RobNeil likes this.
  10. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

It's the popular opinion for a good reason; this is Queen's best album and a masterpiece. The track listing is practically a greatest hits in and of itself, despite few of them being hits. Death on Two Legs, '39, You're My Best Friend, Love of My Life, Bohemian Rhapsody!? Every listen is a must-listen-all-the-way-through.

The Prophet's Song might be the most underrated track in their discography and after hearing Bohemian Rhapsody so many times, is the highlight of side 2 and a brilliant side opener.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    JosepZ, Jarleboy, Miles1968 and 2 others like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Jazz is a real favourite of mine but it's different enough to what went before that I understand other fans not rating it so highly. One of the joys of picking up a band's catalogue in a random order is that their history doesn't weigh too heavily.

KAJ1971, Jarleboy, Miles1968 and 2 others like this.
  12. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Agreed......my least favorite of those first 6, but still solid!

Man at C&A and RobNeil like this.
  13. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

It beggars belief that they would put out The Invisible Man 14 years later.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

4.5/5

It’s not quite at the heights of Queen II but is still a fantastic album.

ChoonyFish likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Very true, I can't imagine buying Queen or Quo's albums as new releases. I think I'd have gone along with them though. 70s rockers getting Hot Space must have appalled so many of them! I got it around the A Kind of Magic era as a kid and played it until I loved it. I had the Body Language 45 before the LP.

Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  16. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Easily one my 10 favorite Queen songs.

JosepZ, Miles1968 and Brendan K like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The whole album is a masterpiece. As is Queen's output from the start through at least The Game, and other masterpieces came later, too.

18. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

It's not my favorite Queen album, but..... how could you rate it anything less than a masterpiece?

19. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

My dad bought them all as they came out, but my anxieties had already kicked in with The Game because of the use of synths! Great album though...

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think the songwriting is quite as strong on News of the World. Sleeping on the Sidewalk, Fight From The Inside and Get Down Make Love are enjoyable but weak to me. Get Down Make Love is crap Zeppelin and not much about it appeals to me. Good chorus, the rest is too 'eurgghh'!

Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The first Queen album I bought was A Kind Of Magic and I followed that up with The Works and Flash. I think I probably had all their post Seventies records before I picked up the "classic" era so I've always been perturbed about how metalled up some of that was. :)

Jarleboy and Man at C&A like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Queen are the first band that I started collecting the old albums from myself. My parents liked them but they were too poppy for my Dad, who's into Zep, Purple, Sabbath, The Who, Tull etc and my Mum likes them but doesn't buy much music at all. She prefers T. Rex and Bowie. The only Queen album in the house was Greatest Hits on tape and I don't remember that getting played a lot.

DME1061 likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Are you not very into hard / heavy rock? I get the impression you go for more melodic and catchy stuff generally.

carlwm likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I do like strong melodies so if heavy bands can incorporate those - Iron Maiden, Triumph, Scorpions etc - then I'm in. Not so interested if it's mainly riffage, which I feel the Queen heavy songs are. It's like they had to balance their quirkier side by proving they could rock out.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

:) We obviously differ in what we consider epic, but glad to hear you and many others enjoy that song.

RobNeil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.