Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Good, glad it doesn’t distract for you at all.
    The different styles are not a disqualification - at all - I , in fact state in the first sentence that I love the variety and eclectic nature of the recording.

I’m just wondering that since some of the tracks work wonderfully sequentially, but some of the others- not so much - perhaps this would have been an opportunity to have a more monolithic- thematic whole album.

Not sure, need to listen and experience more. I am sure - this is an exhilarating record!

A Local Bloke likes this.
  2. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

Same for me as well. To all those that reviewed it having listened to it before today, sorry I skipped past those posts. Still without a physical copy, last night I ordered the deluxe mp3 version to tide me over.

Bull Moose shipped my copy via USPS today as well.

EddieMann and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  3. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

I'm in the camp of preferring a wide variety of music styles and sounds on an album. My ears get weary at listening to a set of tracks that all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  4. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Give it a roll!

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Sounds a little better than that to me maybe New or Chaos level, which are no great shakes either.

tug_of_war likes this.
  6. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Not a bad choice. I was quite surprised when I first heard that album years ago...

51IS likes this.
  7. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Nah; 'You can look, but you'd better not touch!' He's singing about 'working for the Squire' (Epstein) and all the photographers lining them up for pretty-boy shots.

8. Dr. Pepper

Well, when I first listened to it I hoped someone would either press skip or put an arrow through me!

9. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Structurally Deep Deep Feeling is very interesting and unique in McCartney’s catalogue. For me the main part of the track sounds like an experience/dream/vision and the acoustic coda is Paul taking its elements/memories and turning it into a McCartney song...can’t describe it better right now! It‘s as if we’re witnessing the birth of a song.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  10. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Yikes, all right, man! This delay is unfortunately part of the discussion, though. This board is almost exclusively first world problems. I definitely won’t be talking about McCartney III on the COVID side of this board, don’t worry. But anyway, I know things are backed up. I get that. They were backed up before COVID. A delay is more than understandable. I don’t know why they tried to get 50 variants of one title out in two months’ time. Just say the digital is out now and the vinyl is out next year, like everyone else has done. That’s all. Problem, first-world or not, solved.

Thanks for the discussion. I’m sure we’ll all get the album, in this incarnation or the next.

11. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Are you familiar with the McCartney series or is this your first one?

12. I think Chaos is the best album of the entire 2nd half of his career.

13. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

He was talking about the mastering. (but I agree).

14. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Maybe a lot of US listeners will find the word 'lavatory' too direct ;), although the word is itself a euphemism, lavatorium being literally 'a place to wash'. Still, for US usage, one could have 'Bathroom Betty' or 'Rest-room Rita'.

15. I quite prefer Commode Courtney. Bring's back memories of an early Nirvana show . . .

Who Cares, theMess and Oaw like this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Lucy Loo?

17. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Also @Rfreeman, good point about Cut Me Some Slack. It is a nice change of pace to add to the mixed bag though.

Who Cares and Rfreeman like this.
  18. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I’d say just enjoy it. Blue, black, white, red. End of the day it’s a record I hope you’ll be playing and enjoying. Lots of people not happy about having to wait for delivery dates so count yourself lucky!

19. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

McCartney 1 has Maybe I’m Amazed and a couple of songs that were originally recorded by the Beatles. McCartney III does not.

DRM likes this.
  20. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Don't hate it. I just like III better. On second thought..............

21. Dr. Pepper

ES is my favorite McCartney album.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Who Cares, Bruce M., theMess and 2 others like this.
  22. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

You mean, originally rehearsed or considered by

Paperback Writer likes this.
  23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Which doesn't mean a thing, honestly.

24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That’s a very good observation; I think it is as informed by “New” as it was “Egypt Station”; interestingly listening to it all day led me to start mixing a few of the tracks from “New” into a playlist with the new material (songs like “Appreciate” and “Alligator” really seem to sit nicely).

25. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I don't know. But my green target, (love the non-translucent green color), was noticeably thin looking. It surprised me.