Definitive Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlulu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I recently listened to a German A1/B2 of Obscured by Clouds and it was absolutely stunning.

hi_watt and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Is that the O62 first issue or the 064 second? I’m assuming it’s the first (from memory that’s the one with the different symbol variations). The 062 first is quite reserved compared with the UK. The 064 second is much more dramatic, i.e. boosted, which might be your cup of tea or not.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I just looked up the early German pressings and these are all >$50 and for a decent one a lot more, so we will see..... Would be nice to listen to one before I buy it.

4. kiritomens

kiritomens Well-Known Member

Yea it's a 062 second pressing. If people call this copy reserved i could believe that. could be i just put my speakers really loud, since i like to really get absorbed when i listen to vinyl. Lets just say when welcome to the machine starts playing there is so much air being moved it feels like i am actually in a machine room. Might not be the most actuate way to listen, but to me sounds the most real and natural. I will probably listen to it again with headphones to see if i notice anything off about it, but i think pink floyd is best enjoined over speakers.

5. Dr. Metal MD

So I am in between seeking out a:

US 'Barry' copy
    Early/original UK copy
    2016 BG reissue
    Saving up overtime for a CBS mastersound.....

Probably my favorite Pink Floyd album but not about to drop a ton of $$$ on an EX first press or even the mastersound. I just want a really good sounding pressing. I have the 2011 Sax and Japan original pressings, both of which sound good, but I am hoping for something a bit better. Leaning towards the Barry since that seems to be an affordable pressing that is highly regarded.

6. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The first side of the US ‘Barry’ is excellent, easily on a par with a UK 1st. The second side is still very good, but I prefer my A1/B3 UK 1st. But do buy one if you can - you won’t regret it.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Dr. Metal MD

I would assume a really clean Barry is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than a really clean UK 1st? Also, probably much easier for me to get a Barry over here in the States than an early clean UK.

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I’d say a definite yes on both counts.

There’s a nice one here in fact:
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here: LP, Album, RE For Sale | Discogs

Best to check with the seller that there’s ‘Barry’ in the dead wax. I’ve got 2 copies of the 81 green label: one with the name written in the runout grooves on one side and the other copy with no name at all. The copy with no name at all has a Side A which is definitely Barry (I checked with my other copy) but a Side B which definitely isn’t.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  9. I’d add the German A3 pressing to your list. Fabulous.

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

In case you are not aware. There were US 1st issues cut from UK plates. They will have a very light HTM etched in the runout.
    Most had only side one from Harry Moss. But a few had both sides etched.

AaronW likes this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks, funny I already messaged that seller to check for Barry in his deadwax haha. That one is on my short list. I just want a copy that I am going to be happy with enough where I don't feel the need to keep searching.

Thanks for the recommendation. Is this the pressing? Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

So a US OP with HTM on both sides would be a winner?

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. That looks like the one. There are other listings on discord though that can have the A3 press. I bought mine under this release: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I have not heard the German A2/B2 but others heee said the A2/B3 is superior

13. Slick Willie

Yes, the HTM cuts sound very close to the UK as Moss cut some of those as well.
    Those later G lathe cuts are detailed and interesting though...just differ from the original feel of the album.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Dr. Metal MD

Just grabbed the Barry press that was being sold on Discogs that is supposedly EX-NM with minimal surface noise. Looking forward to comparing it to my 2011 Sax and Japan OPs. Thanks for the help.

c-eling and Solace like this.
  15. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I’m sure you’ll like it. Let us know what you think.

It’s funny but this thread keeps drawing me back to Wish You Were Here and listening to all the different pressings again. I listened again to the German 064 A3/B3 pressing last night and while I still feel it’s too over-blown and ‘goosed’, ‘Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1 to 5’ seemed to befit from the added thump. In fact my current WYWH vinyl playlist (for those of us who make vinyl rips) would look something like this:

SOYCD 1-5 Germany 064 A3/B3 or US ‘81 ‘Barry’
    WTTM US ‘81 ‘Barry’
    Have a Cigar UK A1/B3 1st
    WYWH UK A1/B3 1st
    SOYCD 6-9 UK A1/B3 1st

There’s really no contest for the second side. The first UK pressing just sounds perfect.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

I am curious if anyone has done a comparison between a Barry and a Chet cut?
    Both are 6th issues and cut on the G lathe.
    From descriptions I've read on the Barry, they seem to be similar.

17. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I wanted to, but the ‘Chet’ that I ordered turned out not to be. From what I’ve read on this thread, they would appear to be the same mastering.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Slick Willie

I believe you are correct.

19. Dr. Metal MD

I'll report back when I get it. Hoping it will satisfy me enough to stop searching for other pressings. I think next in line would be the German for me.

Anybody here in the US have the German A3/B3 and are willing to part with it?

20. Slick Willie

I would vote next to be a UK 1st issue. Doesn't need to be an early cut.
    I have an A/1, B/5 with HTM on sd 2 that is really sweet.

ODShowtime and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  21. Dr. Metal MD

I'll keep my eyes pealed for one in the US!

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. Dr. Metal MD

Gave my Japan original pressing another spin tonight. This time, I messed around with the transimpedance in my SUT more to modulate the playback to more favor the lower end, which helps a lot. The bass still doesn't 'thump' as hard as I would like, but I am more happy with this pressing now. Outside of the low end being maybe a tad lacking, this pressing is phenomenal and dead quiet. It does everything right except an under-emphasis on bass and possibly 'warmth'. We will see how this Barry pressing compares when I get it.

I am wondering if I need to temper my expectations with this album more. I am hoping to find a pressing that sounds as good as my German original DSOTM, which I am not sure is possible since I am holding a wonderful pressing of an entirely different album up as my standard for how I want this Pink Floyd album to sound.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  23. Slick Willie

The two will not sound the same.
    If you want a WYWH with a lot of bass, the UK Quad has the most that I have heard on that title. A fun spin.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  24. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

German A2/B2 is stunning too. To these ears, it's got the power of the UK A1/B1 without the sibilance problems.

Clucking likes this.
  25. Dr. Metal MD

Do you specifically mean for Obscured by Clouds?

Greenmonster2420 likes this.