Queen "A night at the opera" poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Some people mistakenly think that "masterpiece" merely means something they like a lot. The word "masterpiece" implies excellence/achievement independent of whether or not someone likes it. There must be more to justify the use and if the "more" can't be provided, then the word "masterpiece" should not be used.

Ernold likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Interesting post. :righton:

Leaving quality arguments aside, I certainly enjoy A Night At The Opera more than I do Sgt Pepper.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's fair enough.

Some folks in these parts though do get a bit antsy unless you press home the point that your statements are merely opinions.

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I am a huge Queen fan, but I don't think A Night at the Opera is their masterpiece. I give that distinction to Sheer Heart Attack.

A Night at the Opera is a heckuva listen from start to finish, but oddly it only has three songs now that I will seek out on their own - Bohemian Rhapsody, '39 and Death on Two Legs. The rest is mostly good, although I find the middle section of The Prophet's Song to be way too overcooked (the constant "and now I know!"s are kind of annoying).

So I give it a very, very good.

Ernold likes this.
  5. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Masterpiece....

6. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

I agree that Sheer Heart Attack is a better album. In my opinion, of course. I actually think that one of the finest moments on it is among their most overlooked songs... She Makes Me.

Man at C&A and Ludger like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

On various technical levels, the album is considered a masterpiece of rock music by musicologists.
    The song Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece on a technical level the way it incorporates motivic techniques, modulations, harmony and repetition to portray the various subjects and emotional displays in the song. The use of dynamics and the modulatory scheme are brilliant in how certain keys are used to portray different emotions of the main character.

However, you may not like the performances or whatever but on some levels the album is considered a masterpiece by musicologists and musicians.

I don't like some of the songs so, overall on a subjective level, I will say 4/5.
    On a technical level, 5/5 without a doubt.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

BR's title is wrong however.........it is more along the lines of Sonata Form than Rhapsodic. :p

carlwm likes this.
  9. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

I think one of the key things about Opera for me is that, yes, Bo Rhap is a work of some genius, and could deservedly be called a "masterpiece", but the rest of the album is not remotely in that league, even in terms of the other highlights on the record. People seem to judge the whole album on the basis of one (admittedly great) track.

10. Rose River Bear

I suppose some people do judge the album based on that track. If not alone but possibly, it weights the album overall to "masterpiece" for some.
    Of course, this is just a poll thread and nothing more than that. If you are coming to this thread to learn why someone thinks the album (or particular song) is a masterpiece or it is not, you won't learn why here.

Miles1968 likes this.
  11. Rose River Bear

She Makes Me is one of my favorite songs on the album.

Ernold likes this.
  12. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

13. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Bo Rhap is not even the best song on this album...

Ludger likes this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, there are certain albums that his like a bomb going off - and Night at the Opera did that. It's the same kind of thing you got with The Wall. Everyone had NATO, at least everyone I knew. Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't burned out, and Queen owned the UK at the time. In truth, there's just nothing remotely bad about the album. It feels like a journey, and has a nice mix of things from straight rockers to acoustic numbers. It even feels folky at times. It really was the turning point for Queen.

Like others, I'd give the edge to Sheer Heart Attack, but there's no doubt that NATO was the big on for them.

Ludger, Miles1968 and Andrew Russe like this.
  15. Rose River Bear

What is the "best" song and why do you think it is the "best" song?

carlwm likes this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've often wondered if they got the idea for the title from Fairport Convention who release Hungarian Rhapsody in 1973. :)

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I think it is.

For me, it's a contender for best single ever. It bowled me over when I first heard it, and still does however many hundreds of listens later.

18. Rose River Bear

Good point. I thought about that as well. Of course Freddie was not using the term in a technical way so in that sense the term fits the song well.

carlwm likes this.
  19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It says something about A Night at the Opera "The Prophet's Song" should be the centerpiece and "Love of My Life" and of course "Bohemian Rhapsody" steal its thunder. Of course where do you go after the latter but play the (British) national anthem?

20. Rose River Bear

I think my favorite on the album is Death on Two Legs but I would never say it is the "best" song on the album without coming up with some backup first.

Miles1968 and carlwm like this.
  21. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Very good, but not as good as any of their first 3 albums, imo.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Fair point. :)

Bohemian Rhadsody hits me in both an emotional and intellectual way like no other Queen song, regardless of album. Indeed very few (relatively, at least) songs have has such an immediate and also lasting effect. I never tire of it. The various moods and intensities it generates in me as a listener are manifold. What a song!

Why it has this effect, though, is a mystery to me and long may it remain so! :righton:

23. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Absolute masterpiece in my book. They don't make em like this anymore.

Ludger and carlwm like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

A lot of folks think that the song makes references to Freddie on very personal levels including his childhood and sexuality.

carlwm likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I wouldn't be at all surprised but it also feels universal. Ambiguities leading to layers of meaning, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.