Muzishare X7 - an affordable hand-wired KT88 integrated made at the Line Magnetic factory

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

The Gold Lion KT88s are great tubes, but they definitely favor the high end and lean more detailed than warm or rich. I’m using 8 of them at the moment, which I balance out by using 6 vintage Mullard tubes in the preamp section. It’s a great combination. The Gold Lions add back some of those highs that the Mullards lack, and the Mullards do a great job of warming up the Gold Lions and keeping this amp sounding like a tube amp. But be forewarned that with forward or bright sounding preamp tubes, your amp might sound a little cold.

Twinsfan007, Kyhl, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  2. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Where did you order them from?

my only experience with upgraded tubes is with JJ electronics. What do you guys think about thoses?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

This is good to know, thank you.

Now that the missus is awake, I have the speakers going. With the Sylvania and RCA preamp tubes, I'm definitely getting fuller bass and mids, and perhaps a bit more smoothness on top. The stock tubes seem to throw a wider soundstage and are more detailed.

I haven't decided which presentation I prefer.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  4. action pact

The best price I could find on the Gold Lions was from a seller on eBay, but I don't know how the price compares if you buy from a seller in the EU.
    QUAD Four Factory Platinum Matched Genalex Gold Lion KT88 KT-88 6550 Tubes | eBay

I've generally had good luck with JJ's.

5. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I got mine from the same guy. One of them died on me like six days after I installed them, but the seller sent me a replacement promptly.

6. action pact

Good to know that he stands behind his products!

7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

+1

I don't wish to be negative, but I didn't have a good experience with The Gold Lion KT-88's in my Quicksilver V-4's. They did sound good at first, but then the sound changed with a few more hours. They made the V-4's sound like bad solid state. And I like solid state.

8. action pact

Hmm, that's not good.

9. action pact

Trying something different now.

With the two Sylvania 12AU7's and one RCA 12AX7, it sounded very plump and maybe a little wooly. I then went back to the stock preamp tubes, and instantly noticed that it was quicker, leaner and maybe a little too forward.

I did some more poking around in my stash and found a 1958 long black plate RCA 12AX7. (The other RCA I was trying turned out to be from the '70s.)

I'm liking the combination of the two stock 12AU7s with the '58 RCA 12AX7. The RCA has tamed the sizzle and added just a touch of warmth.

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

If you gag and blindfold the wife - the speakers might just work...

bever70 likes this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Average to good, but nothing spectacular.

12. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Cool amp! For kt-88s, I’m very fond of the psvane gray bottle kt-88s. Compared to gold lions, they seem to have a weightier presentation (which I prefer). I love how they look too.

Kyhl, trd and action pact like this.
  13. 10gauge

10gauge Active Member

Looks awesome - Congrats! There are about 12 vendors on AliExpress. Which one did you choose?

I know that the X7 is being well received, but I’m thinking of the Muzishare R100 300B/845 Amp for different flavor. I have no idea how it’s going to sound or whether I’ll have to overhaul it with coupling caps, wiring, new trannies, etc.

I already have a custom Don Sachs Model 2 6SN7 Preamp and Kootenay 120 KT88 PP amp. After much tube rolling Shuguang CV181z (dark), Sylvania 6SN7GTB, RCA 6SN7, Russian 6H8C, the Psvane CV181 TII sounds the best. For the KT88, I’ve used Shuguang KT88 Black treasures (muddy midbass, rolled off highs), Shuguang Golden Voice KT88 (balanced bass/highs) sounds better. I would’ve got the Shuguang WEKT88, but a fire in China apparently cut of production. So, I have the Psvane KT88 TII on order. They’re supposed to be better than the GV KT88. Let’s see...

I’ve tried the Gold Lion KT88 in a DIY 6N1P/KT88 Amp I made - good balance, on par with the Golden Voice KT88 that I’m using on the Kootenay.
    BTW, I’m next town over from you.

action pact likes this.
  14. action pact

If the Gold Lions don't work out for me, that will be my next move!

Ulises likes this.
  15. Nicode70

I bought mine from this vendor:

Seller Info

10gauge likes this.
  16. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I’d only buy it if it had blue meters

17. action pact

I used these guys, they had the lowest price:

HIFI EXQUIS - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress 

After the world is safe again for socializing, I'd love to have you over for a listen.

PooreBoy and 10gauge like this.
  18. action pact

Ah, but the yellow-orange meters better matches the glow from the tubes!

[​IMG]

19. 10gauge

10gauge Active Member

Likewise, I extend the invitation to you as well. Stay safe and healthy! Thanks for the info on the dealer.

action pact likes this.
  20. action pact

I just ordered a Genalex Gold Lion 5AR4 recifier to replace the stock Sovtek, which are almost universally disliked.

I explored the cost of Mullard Blackburns and see that they have gotten very expensive! I actually have one of those in my '59 Fisher X-100, which is currently out for repair. Once I get the Fisher back, I can compare the rectifier tubes.

[​IMG]

I've also just purchased a pair of non-microphonic RCA clear-top 12AU7's through this forum's classifieds. At least one of them is branded Hammond (not sure about the other one), and I've heard that the ones supplied to organ companies were factory-tested for ruggedness. Hopefully that is true!

[​IMG]

jonwoody and 33na3rd like this.
  21. action pact

BTW, do I have the bias set correctly for 40mA? I'm having trouble interpreting the meter.

DougRuss likes this.
  22. Nicode70

I'll wait before i change the tubes. it is such an upgrade from my previous amp that i don't feel the need.

23. action pact

Changing just the 12ax7 was beneficial. It had just a little too much treble sharpness with the stock tube.

24. Nicode70

I made an incremental progress regarding the speakers situation. I tried the Focal Kanta 2 today. That was magnificent. But I definitely can’t afford a 7000€ Pair of speakers.
    Next week I’ll have an AB comparison between the kanta 1 and 2. The 1´s are more in my price range. At the very very top of it, but still in it.
    I’ll keep you posted.

action pact likes this.
  25. action pact

It's never a good idea to audition speakers you can't afford, LOL.

trd likes this.