Queen "A night at the opera" poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It wouldn't be anywhere near high up in my favourite 70s Queen songs

2. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

The album would have been better off without it. Proggy nonsense, and the sound of a band who were famous for not taking themselves too seriously doing precisely that.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Excuse my ignorance, but who and who??

Rufus rag likes this.
  4. Ernold

Roger Taylor's compositions from Sheer Heart Attack and A Day at the Races, respectively - both of which I prefer to I'm In Love With My Car, from A Night at the Opera.

Man at C&A and Bingo Bongo like this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I will give them credit for trying out something like that, and longer, proggier songs are not always easy to pull off, so that song felt like them dipping their toe in the deep end and then realizing it wasn't really their thing, which is why we never saw them try something that advanced again (from a single song standpoint).

Rufus rag likes this.
  6. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Though it's not my favorite Queen album I do consider A Night At The Opera their last masterpiece in a run of three.

7. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

2/5 Mediocre

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Somebody To Love is way more advanced than The Prophet's Song. I don't mind The Prophet's Song at all, I like it, but I'm happy it was a one off. I'm generally not a prog fan.

9. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

5/5 Queens debut, Queen II, and A Night At The Opera are the 3 Queen masterpieces to me.

10. Im one of them.

11. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I love The Prophet's Song...But then again I love pretentious prog music, so I guess that's why. :D

yesstiles and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Agree! I like bands that take chances, especially when they stretch out into a bit of prog. Another good example was when the Alice Cooper Group did this with Halo of Flies and they nailed it!

Man at C&A and Ludger like this.
  13. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

Many people, me included, consider ANATO to be Queen's masterpiece - but I prefer Sheer Heart Attack.
    Many people, me included, consider Sgt. Pepper to be The Beatles' masterpiece - but I like probably three albums of theirs better.
    Many people, me included, consider Ziggy Stardust to be Bowie's masterpiece - but I prefer Hunky Dory.
    I could go on...

Ernold, Andrew Russe and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Agree with all of this.

Ludger likes this.
  15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Have never heared or read that Night at the Opera is generally regarded as Queen's masterpiece? Have seen and read lots of best Queen album type reviews and discussions but never ever seen it to be considered their best album or masterpiece. I'd like to see one if one's out there??? Thanks!

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Close.

It's "March of the Black Queen" and "The Prophet's Song."

Logeroni_Pepperoni likes this.
  17. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

I'm surprised by the number of people slamming "The Prophet's Song." I think it's excellent.

DPM, Blastproof, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

To be clear, I am not slamming it. I like it. I just think it is a bit overcooked, especially the tedious middle section.

19. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I am fortunate enough to have a copy of A Night At The Opera that is fully autographed. I designed a setting for it using the fonts from the album and also that QII image that was reused for the Bohemian Rhapsody video and had it framed. This is it. It turned out much larger than I originally anticipated, but I love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Michael Bean

Michael Bean Forum Resident

It's their Sgt Pepper.

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Top Ten Greatest Queen Albums (Just a blog I think)
    Queen (Some sort of statistical ranking?)
    All Queen Albums, Ranked Best To Worst (supposedly a fan poll)
    Queen albums ranked from worst to best | Louder (Editorial Ranking)

Of the top five sites returned by a search on “top ten Queen albums” only one didn't have ANATO at the top.

carlwm likes this.
  22. Ernold

For the sake of being thorough, I listened to Sgt. Pepper and Opera again.

I would still assert that Sgt. Pepper is the better, more innovative, tighter, sharper album. That doesn't mean I think Opera isn't a very good album; it simply means that I think that, out of these two eminently comparable albums, Sgt. Pepper is superior as an album. I emphasise that last statement because I accept that there are moments on Opera that achieve things The Beatles didn't even attempt on Pepper, but as an overall listening experience, holding together as a singular vision and statement, Pepper wins. If nothing else, there are simply too many moments on Opera that irritate, embarrass or bore. That isn't the case on Pepper, an album on which pretty much everything works.

Even Queen themselves made better albums than Opera.

I realise that this is a view that some people on this thread find desperately distressing to hear.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Michael Bean likes this.
  23. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

This is the only Queen album I can listen to without hitting the skip button (except maybe the debut).

I love "The Prophet's Song"! I even love the "car" song Roger got ripped on for in the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.

carlwm and Michael Bean like this.
  24. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

...thats the best bit.

Ludger and Michael Bean like this.
  25. Michael Bean

Michael Bean Forum Resident

What's Freddy is doing there is basically the same thing that Brian May is doing in Brighton Rock, playing against the repeats. It's a pretty clever bit there. They make it work.

Ludger and RobNeil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.