THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I'm just used to seeing some of this footage look like this:

Peace N. Love, JCo, Solaris and 6 others like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

That was awesome. It’s nice to see some playfulness in the mix. The original film is such a bummer.

3. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Until now I paid attention to the film and what it was specifically going to be about but the clip is fantastic and now I can't wait to see the finished product.

I do wish the phrase "sneak peak" would disappear. On no occasion has anyone had to be sneaky to see these things. That sneaky peek was 5 minutes long and introduced by the director.

ODIrony and Elliottmarx like this.
  4. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

1) this is gonna be the happy version of the divorce?
    2) Billy Preston was the star

Dan C, Solaris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. rednedtugent

Eric taking his job and then his girl...

FVDnz and lou like this.
  6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This sneak peek is really showing the revisionist history of The Beatles taking hold and providing the 'Happy-Go-Lucky' perspective of their Swan Song. I'm happy they will be including the original film and this can be the 'Remixed & Remastered' version to accompany it.

BeatleJWOL and Hall Cat like this.
  7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

What I love about this, is that I want to see great footage of how the Beatles worked at their peak. I am far less interested in the soap opera or an acurate history of Let It Be. It is nice to see that there is plenty of footage of how they normally interacted.

andrewskyDE, FVDnz, jtiner and 10 others like this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Correct. The real story is out there, primarily on Anthology, for those who are interested. And for those that aren't, they're not watching either one, quite frankly.

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

A little? This is Peter Jackson we're talking about.
    Anywho, I told y'alls so.

10. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I'm not so sure that LIB itself wasn't somewhat revisionistic. As has been noted, much of the 'press' about LIB after the fact was mainly through John and George - John, who was mortally wounded that Paul seriously quit the group; George, who could be sour on the best of days. I noted above (somewhere over the rainbow) my conjecture that MLH may have edited the film stock in a negative manner. Given that, as Paul has repeatedly said, he sued to quit the Beatles because he wanted to sue Klein but had to sue JGR to do so, and that happened months after the LIB project, I suspect that what we will be seeing won't be quite as revisionistic as some would think. Mark Lewisohn has commented that last year he spent the month of January (among other things) listening to the Thirty Days disks - essentially one day per day - and was surprised to find it not so dreary and miserable as John and George later claimed. So, I'm of the opinion that what we'll get will be no more fictional than what we've had for the last 50 or so years, just happier moments than the previously released unhappy ones.

jtiner, Shaddam IV, planckera and 7 others like this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It's blurred, as in waxy. It happens when you remove grain from film. You lose detail. It's the visual equivalent of using DNR in music to remove tape hiss: you lose detail and choke the life out of the image. The MMT blu-ray is an AWFUL offender of this. Damn shame.

EDIT: For a demonstration check the link in my post above.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Contact Lost, polchik and Hall Cat like this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I fear for The Anthology footage...:(

14. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Who's the guy with the cigar?

15. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

The Beatles did break up for a reason. And, the sessions as depicted in the sneak peek show that there was some (to put it mildly) positivity in the atmosphere.

Yeah, it may revise the narrative that the band was at each other's throats the whole time, but it's doing so with video evidence of moments that actually occurred. It's not like actors are recreating sequences. Why is that a bad thing?

Cannot wait to see this in theaters.

Pinknik, Shaddam IV, MitchLT and 3 others like this.
  16. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

@ODIrony is correct. Let It Be was itself “revisionist” in the first place.

17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you so much for sharing that, @OldSoul.

OldSoul and polchik like this.
  18. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

The original "Let It Be" movie must have been fake news.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I watched the clip this morning, and it was wonderful to see them actually working together as a band, creating music.

20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No, “revisionist” does not mean something was necessarily “false”. Sometimes revising a narrative offers a more honest presentation, sometimes it’s to reframe it or change the focus.

andrewskyDE, Shaddam IV and ODIrony like this.
  21. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Agreed. I always felt cheated with the original 16mm version of this. Blown up to 35mm for theatrical release was just not what you would expect to represent the quality that The Beatles deserved. It appears the original was cut in a way to project a gloominess for a reason that I do not understand. If these sessions were true to what was reported around that time, there would be no happy footage for the remake.

Peter Jackson has my thanks for taking on this project. I've been disappointed with the "Let It Be" movie since I first saw it on it's first day of release in the theatres.

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the director.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

For example;
    In the original, there's shot-upon-shot of Yoko, looking like this is the LAST place she wants to be!

FVDnz and rednedtugent like this.
  24. rednedtugent

I hope the ending credits are over the Yoko wail.
    JJJJJjjjjjjjooooohhhhnnnn

1 2 3 HOLD IT

When I watch the film I smile and think how cool the Beatles were.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...or, the Heather wail over the super-long "Dig It"!

rednedtugent likes this.