USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have a couple of nice German Hot Rocks CD’s (Rolling Stones) coming. But they keep leaving Seattle, then going back to Seattle, repeat, repeat...

DEC 24 - Expected Delivery
    DEC 20 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 19 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 18 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 17 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 16 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 15 - Accepted Seattle WA USPS Origin
    DEC 14 - Shipping Label Created Seattle WA

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Yep, we all know EXACTLY who to blame. Fortunately they'll both be gone on 1/20/21.

zephyr25 and tombayz like this.
  3. Zoso88

Zoso88 Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more. Those that have had media mail packages delivered are you seeing the facility scans as it gets closer to your address or is it just showing up in your mailbox and updating as delivered?

WarEagleRK likes this.
  4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

That seems to be the case for me. Here is an example of one that I got today on an item I ordered on December 4th. It just disappeared from the 9th until the 19th. I have one that is still showing as pre-shipment status from December 5th.

December 21, 2020, 2:51 pm
    Delivered, In/At Mailbox
    HIXSON, TN 37343
    Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 2:51 pm on December 21, 2020 in HIXSON, TN 37343.
    December 21, 2020, 8:50 am
    Out for Delivery
    HIXSON, TN 37343
    December 21, 2020, 8:39 am
    Arrived at Post Office
    HIXSON, TN 37343
    December 20, 2020, 11:49 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
    CHATTANOOGA TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 20, 2020, 7:21 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    CHATTANOOGA TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 20, 2020, 3:41 pm
    Departed USPS Facility
    ATLANTA, GA 30354
    December 19, 2020, 8:45 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    ATLANTA, GA 30354
    December 9, 2020, 10:18 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
    NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 9, 2020, 10:17 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 8, 2020, 7:05 pm
    Departed Post Office
    BUFFALO, NY 14241
    December 8, 2020, 6:20 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    BUFFALO, NY 14241
    December 6, 2020
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

5. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

As one of the recipients, I am a little bummed that the items are MIA. I suspect they're stuck in a distribution center somewhere. Even priority mail packages I shipped last week from Boston to family in NJ and PA haven't been updated since leaving Boston. I'm hopeful those will arrive before Christmas, but I'm not counting on any media mail packages until sometime in mid January. I just hope they don't arrive badly damaged...

WarEagleRK likes this.
  6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Yeah, I really hate it more for people like you who have bought stuff from me because I take a lot of pride in getting everything safely and securely out usually the day they pay. The last thing I want is 6 weeks from now stuff arrives and it's been beaten up in a warehouse for a month. That's no good for both the buyer and seller.

Zoso88 and SJP like this.
  7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I’ve had this happen a couple of times: Post Office says it was delivered, but it doesn’t actually appear in your mailbox until the next day.

8. moomoomoomoo

Yes, am seeing scans when they get close. God I hope I don't sell anything more on ebay until after xmas. I mailed 1 $17 cd today.

Zoso88 likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

From the Washington Post (as reprinted in the Seattle Time):

Millions of Christmas presents may arrive late because of USPS package delays
    Dec. 21, 2020 at 3:14 pm Updated Dec. 21, 2020 at 3:36 pm

By
    Jacob Bogage
    and
    Hannah Denham
    The Washington Post
    WASHINGTON — Competing crises are slamming the U.S. Postal Service days before Christmas, imperiling the delivery of millions of packages as the mail agency contends with spiking coronavirus case numbers among its workforce, unprecedented volumes of e-commerce orders and the continuing fallout from a hobbled cost-cutting program launched by the postmaster general.

Nearly 19,000 of the agency’s 644,000 workers have called in sick or are isolating because of the novel coronavirus, according to the American Postal Workers Union. Meanwhile, packages have stacked up at some postal facilities, leading employees to push them aside to create narrow walkways on shop floors.

Some processing plants are refusing to accept new mail shipments. The backlogs are so pronounced that some managers have reached out to colleagues in hope of diverting mail shipments to nearby facilities. But often, those places are full, too. Meanwhile, packages sit on trucks for days waiting for floor space to open so their loads can be sorted.

“[Customers] are screaming, ‘Where’s my package? Why did it go to Jacksonville, Fla., when it’s going to Miami?’ ” said Martin Ramirez, president of the APWU Local 170 in Ohio. “I can’t speak on that. I’ve never seen this before where these places are overflowing.”

The end result: Many families will not see online orders arrive in time for Christmas Day.

Through Dec. 12, the start of the Postal Service’s busiest period for package deliveries, parcel volume was up 14% compared with the same period in 2019, the agency told mailing industry officials. That surge has employees in some areas working upward of 80 hours a week, including some who have worked every day since Thanksgiving without a weekend. In Philadelphia, staffers are scheduled to work Christmas Day, said one mail carrier, who like others interviewed for this report, spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid retribution.

Mail performance has plummeted: 75.3% of first-class mail, such as letters and bills, arrived within the standard one-to-three-day delivery window the week of Dec. 5, according to the most recent agency data available. This time last year, the mail service’s on-time score was about 95%.

Private express carriers, also inundated by package shipments, have stopped serving some retailers altogether, sending more packages through the Postal Service.

The agency is receiving as many as 6 million packages a day since FedEx and UPS enacted restrictions on large-volume retail shippers in early December, according to industry tracking firm ShipMatrix. For the week of Dec. 6, FedEx delivered 93.9% of its parcels on time, UPS delivered 96.1%, and the Postal Service, 87.5%. The agency’s drop in performance compared with the previous two-week period held up more than 3.5 million parcels by one or more days.

“This year can’t end fast enough,” said Jennifer Lemke, the clerk craft director at APWU Local 170 in northern Ohio.

Adding to the slowdowns is on-the-ground confusion over the cost-cutting initiatives that Postmaster General Louis DeJoy implemented over the summer and paused at the direction of five federal courts. The Postal Service has appealed several of those rulings.

In the meantime, those battles have created uncertainty in the ranks about specific delivery procedures.

“No parcels are moving at all,” said one postal worker in Michigan, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly. “As bad as you think it is, it’s worse.”

While the perfect storm of crises probably will delay millions of holiday packages and greeting cards, other more essential items, including prescription medications, bills and benefits checks also may be stuck in limbo. Postal officials expressed worry that vaccine deliveries from private shipping companies could displace other loads of packages and overwhelm parts of the mail system.

“We’re doing the very best we can,” said APWU National President Mark Dimondstein. “We know you appreciate that. This is a long, hard struggle. We’re asking for your patience, and no delayed gift should take away from the valuable family time and the reason people come together and celebrate. Hopefully everything will make it there on time. But if it doesn’t, it’ll still get there.”

U.S. Postal Service spokesman David Partenheimer said the agency is flexing its network to ensure that it is able to sort, process and deliver the mail despite the staff shortages and capacity challenges. “Our entire Operations team, from collections, to processing to delivery, worked throughout this past weekend and continues to work round-the-clock to address the historic volume,” he said.

The delays come after a tumultuous summer and election season for the Postal Service. DeJoy, a former logistics executive and major Republican financier, took office in June while the agency was projecting an operating shortfall due to declining use of first-class mail. DeJoy moved rapidly to cut costs and instituted a strict transportation schedule that cracked down on overtime hours and banned late and extra transportation and delivery trips.

Almost immediately, service suffered. A Postal Service inspector general report found that DeJoy and agency leaders did not conduct any analysis of the effects of the new policies and did not consult the Postal Regulatory Commission about the changes, as courts have said the Postal Service was lawfully required to do. In the first five weeks of the policy, which was enacted in June and rescinded shortly before the November election, more than 7% of the nation’s first-class mail was delayed, according to a Senate investigation.

But packages have buoyed the agency’s finances. Parcel volumes in May and June beat 2019 figures by 20% to 80% each week, staving off — at least temporarily — financial ruin. Mailing and package firms cheered those numbers, as well as market prognostications that e-commerce shopping habits elevated during the pandemic might endure beyond, injecting hundreds of millions of dollars permanently into the sector. The flood of holiday packages, though, appears to have pushed the mail system to the brink.

Retail analysts say more than two years of e-commerce sales growth were crammed into 2020, starting in March when the pandemic took hold and surging again during this holiday season. In the United States, online shopping sales are projected to reach $795 billion this year, up more than 30% from a year ago, according to research firm eMarketer.

“It boils down to too much of a good thing,” said Art Sackler, executive director of the Coalition for a 21st Century Postal Service, an industry group whose members include Amazon, eBay and other commercial mailers.

To ensure delivery by Dec. 25, the Postal Service recommended allowing 10 days for retail ground service and making Dec. 23 the latest date for priority mail express service. But that’s still not a guarantee, and consumers across the country are reporting that orders made as early as Black Friday still not materializing.

Retailers have issued warnings to customers regarding shipping windows. Besides a banner on Walmart’s website advertising “last call for pickup,” the big box retailer’s most recent guidance for shipping cutoffs was issued Tuesday for customers still shopping for gifts and groceries to arrive by Christmas Eve.

T.J. Maxx issued some of the earliest shipping cutoffs among top retailers, saying on its website that standard ground shipping orders must be placed by Dec. 9 to ensure Dec. 24-or-earlier delivery. The company did not respond to a request for comment.

Best Buy — which offers same-day delivery through Roadie, Shipt and Instacart — is enlisting store employees to drop off packages at customers’ homes daily until 10:30 p.m. in the run-up to Christmas.

In late November, Amazon designated cutoffs for Prime users hoping to make the Christmas deadline: Dec. 23 for one-day delivery and Dec. 24 for same-day delivery. (Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

Other private mail carriers advised earlier cutoffs. UPS told customers to send their mail by Dec. 21 for three-day select delivery, Dec. 22 for second-day air delivery and Dec. 23 for next day air delivery to arrive by Christmas Eve.

FedEx was more cautious with estimated shipping time: For domestic packages to arrive by Christmas Day, the company listed Dec. 9 as the last day to ship through its SmartPost service and Dec. 15 for ground shipping. In a news release, FedEx advised businesses to “refer to this calendar regularly and adjust order cutoff dates on your website as needed to help your customers avoid delays” and suspended its money-back guarantee for customers shipping with express, ground, freight and office services until further notice.

In the meantime, some small-business owners are encouraging their customers to print photos or PDFs of their ordered gifts to wrap and open on Christmas Day until the real thing arrives.

Some consumers whose packages are missing or have been listed “in transit” for more than a week, or have been offered refunds or reorders are giving up on on-time delivery and instead sending money or gift cards, making handmade presents, or shopping in stores.

“I mailed a package out,” said a Postal Service manager in Central Florida, “and I’m trying to explain to my wife why the packages I mailed for her niece’s Christmas and birthday didn’t get there in time.”

With days to go before Christmas and millions of packages caught in delivery limbo, many retailers are shifting their focus to same-day delivery and curbside pickup. Macy’s and Bloomingdales are partnering with restaurant delivery service DoorDash to get orders to shoppers’ front doors, while Sephora and Best Buy have similar arrangements with grocery delivery service Instacart. Many others, including J.C. Penney, Kohl’s and World Market are offering discounts of as much as 20% to shoppers who pick up online orders curbside or in stores.

10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Left Seattle and went back to Seattle AGAIN. Not really sure what’s going on with departing Seattle, going back to Seattle, repeat, repeat...

DEC 24 - Expected Delivery
    DEC 22 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 21 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 20 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 19 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 18 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 17 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 16 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 15 - Accepted Seattle WA USPS Origin
    DEC 14 - Shipping Label Created Seattle WA

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I think that at least they are making an effort to let you know the package isn’t moving at all by scanning repeatedly. Otherwise, it’d likely be a big nothing after the 12/17 scan.

Galley and GentleSenator like this.
  12. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

A package I sent Priority Mail from NJ to SC on November 30th has still not been delivered, despite opening two research cases and making an insurance claim with the P.O. The item is not lost, they admit that they have it, just not delivering it.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I got one stuck in the Seattle distribution center too.

14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Doing more tracking (not sure why I bother - guess to just infuriate myself)...

2 different packages shipped out at the same time (coming to me in Southern California), one is still in Main, though scheduled to arrive by this Thursday - the other is in the Los Angeles distribution center, but scheduled for next week. I'm pretty sure the one is Main will be delayed - but why do they think the one clear across the country will get to me sooner than the one that's less than an hour away?

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You know, the number of people who've had Covid and either were asymptomatic or fully recovered is now huge.

They should starting hiring some of those people to take the place of those who aren't coming to work.

Meanwhile, I have a package that I shipped Media Mail on 12/3/20 that still isn't scanned at all. I dropped it in a blue box. I opened a trace on that yesterday, and an hour later I got a message that the USPS had closed the case because the package had not yet been dropped off. No, idiots. I dropped it in the blue box, as I stated in the case. You never scanned it.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I have two CD deliveries in distribution center limbo, but considering that mine was apparently hit pretty hard by Covid, I have to adjust my complaint level.

If my worst pandemic outcome is that I got a bunch of used CDs several weeks late, that's pretty damn trivial.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Gary C, Galley and tombayz like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

There's something wrong with the situation described in Seattle. In 21 years of online retailing, I've never seen anything quite like that.If one has the time (it could be an hour wait) try calling the 1-800 #. It is also possible to get phone #'s for local centers if you are good at playing detective. At that point the$20 million dollar ? is whether you get an employee who really wants to help.

18. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

finally got some sort of update on two of my orders. Finally made it to my state.
    They are in a town about 2 hours from my house. They've been there for 4 days.
    [​IMG]

19. moomoomoomoo

The USPS misguided policy has always been ZERO accountability on media mail (the only affordable way to ship anything after the last 10 years of postal increases).

20. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I have a ton of stuff to sell on ebay, that I know will sell pretty quickly, as I'll be pricing them to sell - but I'm gonna hold off for a month or two, when we get a new Post Master General, and all this crap is sorted out.

22. moomoomoomoo

I mailed 2 items yesterday. 1 was scanned, 1 was not. Of course the more expensive item was the one not scanned.

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I know the lines are oppressive but why would anyone just drop off a package these days? Then again, I have about 4 outgoing packages that have passed through the Anaheim hub and then nothing.

24. moomoomoomoo

The lines are too long for less than 5 packages under $30 ea. I have 2 secure drop off options. I am not willing to wait 30 minutes in a covid infested sardine can to make a few dollars.

25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

5 packages @$30-ish each? I’d be checking those in. I’m not afraid of a socially distanced line where everyone is masked up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.