USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I said that was my rough MINIMUM. And that's just for this week (traditionally, the lines shrink on Wed & are down to zero on Thursday). I assume all sellers are aware that 2020 is the first year where "checking in" was remotely necessary. At least in my area (Pierce County, Wa State); they encourage sellers to drop off full postal tubs & run because the lines are so unmanageable.

There was a time I was a fairly large retailer ($170k gross sales in 2000), & it's been that way for many years (once the USPS realized the world had changed to online sales).

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I have made several purchases recently, and told the seller to not ship them until after Christmas.

SJP likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

Don't know where you bought them, but ebay would punish the seller.................

rob68 and WarEagleRK like this.
  4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Very true

5. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

So true. I was thinking earlier today if there was a way to accomplish a shipping delay on eBay. There really isn't a means to do this.

It's almost as if you have to throw caution to the wind and put the package into the system. I've had extraordinary results of late such as an 8 pound media mail shipment that made it across the country to be delivered in about 5 days. Also had another package of about the same weight not show any movement until delivery nearly two weeks later.

I'm also purchasing more insurance lately. It's like rewarding bad behavior but what else can you do for a bit of peace of mind?

6. moomoomoomoo

There are third party companies that offer insurance at much lower prices than the USPS. This is who I used to use:

U-PIC - Shipping Insurance Coverage Domestic and Worldwide

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

My still (just checked) unscanned ('USPS awaiting item') package bound for Texas, mailed December 8th, apparently arrived in Jacksonville Florida 36 minutes ago.

Random place to show up as it is coming from PA ... but it exists.

Relief! Christmas can go ahead.

8. moomoomoomoo

And the media mail package I sent yesterday finally got scanned, though delivery isn't expected until New Year's Eve.

9. moomoomoomoo

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  10. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I went to the post office today to get my mail.
    There was a notification card that said I had a package to pick up at the desk because its too big to fit into the p.o. box
    Brought the card to the front desk. After about 10 minutes I was told they can't find the package.....:wtf:

11. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I ordered an item on ebay which was shipped USPS on November 22 and after being switched to DHL was re routed to different states it stayed in GA saying "mis-shipped" stuck there since December 3.

12. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I’m sure this is affecting all classes of mail to various degrees, but the weeks transit time of a lot of the media mail packages is kind of the price we pay for getting cheap postage rates.

In normal times, we don’t really see media mail get relegated to third tier “whenever we can get to it” status, but now, USPS is definitely taking advantage of its lower class status and just letting these packages languish for a long time.

13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Actually had an order delivered today. No indication on the tracking that it was out for delivery.
    I checked the tracking again after delivery and it still says its in transit.
    So at this point tracking is literally just useless on all fronts.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I had a few priority mail packages that were in tracking limbo and delayed for 7 days. Finally the tracking scans started to update and they got here this week.

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Other than ones that just aren't scanning that I shipped out, below is my current most frustrating item I am awaiting for myself.

The town I live in is a suburb of Chattanooga, TN. They are both in the same county. 8 days ago, my package was the Chattanooga Post office. I could have easily driven there in 20 minutes and picked it up. It goes from Chattanooga to somewhere in Georgia where it hasn't been scanned anywhere in 8 days and the current status has been "Missent" for 8 days.

December 15, 2020, 11:36 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    CARROLLTON, GA 30117
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CARROLLTON, GA 30117 on December 15, 2020 at 11:36 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    December 15, 2020, 9:35 am
    Arrived at Post Office
    CARROLLTON, GA 30117
    December 15, 2020, 4:52 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    CHATTANOOGA TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 15, 2020, 2:07 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    CHATTANOOGA TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 14, 2020, 10:20 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    STOCKBRIDGE, GA 30281
    December 14, 2020, 8:00 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 14, 2020, 3:40 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 11, 2020, 12:03 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    PITTSBURGH PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    December 8, 2020, 9:20 am
    Departed Post Office
    NORTH RIDGEVILLE, OH 44039

16. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

I remember Media Mail! Been a long time since I used it, though.

Nope, the problem here is called Priority Mail and I have two outgoing Priority Mail packages mailed on Dec 7th which are still in limbo--tomorrow is the 24th and I don't exactly have my hopes up about that. "Fortunately" they aren't Christmas presents, because it looks like next week at the earliest for them. That'll be three weeks plus for "Priority Mail 2-Day Shipping"..

Heck, I'm just glad to see the packages in the system. Took six days to get even that.
    Can anyone explain this, though? Seems to be bouncing around post offices very fast.

[​IMG]

17. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Heh, now I see War Eagle's post. Definitely a pattern here. A confusing pattern.

I'm not at all sure that we can trust what the computers are telling us....

18. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Bought a record on ebay

Seller was 22 minutes from my house and media mailed it. That was the 15th of December.

Tracking says its due for delivery on the 18th.. today is the 23rd.. no updates.

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Seller in Maryland shipped a CD on Dec. 2, but had a Maryland zip code. It took the USPS two weeks and two delivery attempts to realize that Greenville, SC is not in Maryland. A week after that, I finally received it.

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

21. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Don't call. Post on USPS.com. Let them do the work, all you need to provide is the tracking#, address.

Easy to make mistakes with the tracking# length.

thetman likes this.
  22. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Finally got out of the Seattle Arrived/Departed seven day loop. Now it’s in Kent WA. Since Kent WA is on the west coast and I’m on the east coast, no way it will be delivered today.

DEC 24 - Expected Delivery by 8 PM
    DEC 22 - Arrived at Kent WA Origin Facility
    DEC 22 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 21 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 20 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 19 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 18 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 17 - Departed Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 16 - Arrived Seattle WA Distribution Center
    DEC 15 - Accepted Seattle WA USPS Origin
    DEC 14 - Shipping Label Created Seattle WA

23. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Just checked on an album I bought off eBay. Tracking shows it arrived at my local Post Office at 6:36 am today and 11 minutes later shows out for delivery in a town an hour away.

Galley likes this.
  24. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

If you sent something Priority Mail that has not been delivered for weeks, file an insurance claim for the $50, or whatever you insured it for. A package I mailed on Nov. 30th has not arrived. I filed a lost package claim, and USPS approved it in two days. The check for $50, plus a refund for the $10.90 postage, arrived a few days later. Tracking shows that my package is still in the system, so I'm assuming it will be delivered eventually, but they're so swamped they paid me anyway.

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Got something coming from Bullmoos in Maine all the way to me in Southern California - it supposedly shipped more than 2 weeks ago, scheduled to be delivered today, but it still hasn't left Maine yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.