Tired of the Technics vs Rega Turntable debate?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AKA-Chuck G, Dec 22, 2020.

1. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t recommend Pro-ject in the high end range, but they did an interesting table that had a s-shaped arm with a removable headshell, and I believe that was in a body similar to a Classic.
    I liked the design.

luckybaer likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Tired of the Technics vs Rega Turntable debate? Don't start another thread about it!

3. highqualityrecords

Ortofon Century – Pro-Ject Audio Systems
    it was this one. Kind of interesting but not worth the dough with the motor assembly.

4. highqualityrecords

He was looking for people to agree with him.

5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

No.... what debate? :D

Buy what you think is best for you, if someone thinks differently about the choice, that's fine...... why get defensive or care that much about if someone thinks something else is better? Even if it is, and you find out for yourself later you should have made a different choice, live and learn... but relax, be mature and realize the world revolves around choice and different choice / decisions. Typically nothing is accomplished or many minds are changed for those that made their choice.... many times it ends up just being a more personal / emotional discussion rather than an objective one.

Most of the time, the debate is based on purchase justification / emotion.... and many times "right or wrong" choice has many dimensions / criteria - and different users have different criteria that weigh more than the next buyer.

There are even times that one might be convinced to buy one brand, hate it, try the other and find out for themselves they made the wrong choice for their needs. All good.

I think many just need to get away from the natural human reaction to defend their choice as "best." It's rarely a productive discussion when it is based on defending your decision as "best."

There's another solution - you can own more than one, even both! That's something I do a lot - buy more than one, move along what you don't like later. Makes how you respond / react to the "there can be only one" defensive threads very different, you read in amusement and for entertainment as you watch folks who labored over their choice for months, bought one, then get wrapped around the axle if someone says something is "better." Relax...

That's a good option too.

Randoms, MCM_Fan, ThorensSme and 2 others like this.
  6. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

You completely missed the point. Get it all out action pact!

I clearly stated keep this out of every new thread about someone considering a new TT. It becomes ground hog day every time. :sigh:

7. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

No, I was looking for people to stop this debate in every thread.

8. highqualityrecords

Your first post was quoting a sensationalist piece on direct drives, what is your point?

9. highqualityrecords

It was a valid conversation in the thread you popped up in yesterday, the Project X2 vs Rega P3, before you got butthurt and made this thread yesterday. Did Technics hurt you?

10. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Your original post simply opened up a debate, without stating intended outcome.

So your approach might be viewed as indirect and manipulative, as though you actually wanted to wind people up and then sit back and watch the fireworks.

If this is so, then you achieved your goal, but it’s not a nice way to treat fellow forum members.

Resolving conflict isn’t normally achieved by triggering conflict. Instead it just fuels the fire.

I can only offer one piece of advice now, and that is “Abandon thread!”

highqualityrecords likes this.
  11. harby

harby Forum Resident

He stated the desired outcome: "you should probably get the best belt-drive turntable your budget will allow. You will not regret it!"

(people post regrets)

:eek:

Big Blue and highqualityrecords like this.
  12. hman

hman Forum Resident

It's turned me off so much that I bought a Pro-Ject.

13. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Alan Sugar with his Amstrad brand liked the styling too!! :agree:

[​IMG]

I'm not going to get in a debate about the pros and cons of detachable headshells, but Rega eliminated (and i'm struggling to work it out!) two dozen connections with their own fixed headshell arms.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  14. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

Some seem to think that making a turntable is super easy, all you need is a rubber band and a cheap Chinese motor, etc. This simplistic forum jousting fails to consider the incredible effort into producing the flywheel effect with the platter and rotating bearings. The tolerances Linn, Rega, et al, are producing currently is really amazing...

popol_vuh, Randoms and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I think it's pitch variation or inconsistent speed that would be a problem. If they run at 33.5 on the dime and don't vary, probably a lesser problem. And if it's the only turntable that's been used for a long time, maybe unnoticed. If a TT runs slow, now that's a deal breaker!

willboy, AKA-Chuck G and Big Blue like this.
  16. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Whenever I think about replacing my low end Uturn table, which works fine for the most part, and I think about budget, let's say in the $1500 - $2000 range, there's only a few tables that pique my interest; the Rega P6, MoFi Ultradeck, Technics SL1200GR/1500C, and maybe Clearaudio if I stretch my budget a bit more. But that's about it. I'm more of a plug and play guy, but all of these choices wouldn't be hard to do so oneself, and depending where it's purchased from, it would likely be set up by the dealer. So I don't think belt drive vs. direct drive really enters into my thought process, if one was clearly better than the other, this would likely be born out by now, either through sales or online reviews/comments. It ends up being a matter of preference. But the reason that Rega and Technics get compared so often, is a lot about similar price points, and it's the fact that both are high volume selling tables,even if very different platforms.

Randoms and sotosound like this.
  17. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

Yes, tired of DD v belt v idler drive as a debate per se.

As with other aspects of hi-fi, I think it's about those compromises you do/don't want to make since no component that I've ever heard sounds perfect across every recording.

My current main deck is belt drive, my previous one was direct drive. I have two idlers waiting in the wings. Well, it's cheaper and less dangerous than collecting cars...

Upstateaudio and sotosound like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

I am not tired of the debate in the purest sense, as in the objective case of pro / con, discussion you can learn the differences and what might be better for your own needs.

There are advantages, disadvantages, features, things about both that are real and there's nothing wrong with an objective discussion. That's when forums are at their best, and why many of us are here...... to learn the details, pro / con, what might be more appealing for one's choice or situation.

I think many are tired of when the debate turns to personal attacks, disparaging one product as not good because it's not their choice..... debate is fine. Emotion, immature attacks, hyperbole....... leave that at the door as it really has no value in making an informed decision, and diminishes the value of the discussion.

Randoms and sotosound like this.
  19. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Not the way to calm a debate down IMHO.....

highqualityrecords likes this.
  20. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I've only got personal experience of a 1,000 plus turntables with the Philips / Airpax motor and happened to personally only use turntables fitted with them for 30+ years. Of course I would consider alternative motors and drive methods and would love to hear a Gale Turntable | galeaudio.com

21. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

I'm sure myself and millions of people that have been nightclubbing and partying over the decades will disagree about DDTT inability to draw you into the music.

I have a Rega and a Technics, both are good enough.

22. TheVinylAddict

Personal choice based on one's own extensive experience....... that's always good to read how others made their choice. With the good data point that it was chosen by relative / extensive comparison, not by emotion or purchase justification!

Nothing wrong with that. When I read something like this, I am more apt to click the link and go learn about this type of motor to understand what I might have missed, what I could learn or why somebody made this choice.

PS - those are good motors.

Randoms likes this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I guess part of my problem is I often listen to music with which I am familiar outside of having listened to it on LP, so things can sound off from what I know it sounds like, and that bothers me.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What a bunch of poppycock! I guess these high-end turntable companies are starting to feel the burn of direct drive sales and feel like they have to do something to koop the money rolling in.

Sterling1 and Big Blue like this.
  25. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I’ve one mid-grade vintage dd table, and it’s a bit noisy, crappy s/n ratio. Has a great tone arm though. Seems to me the cheaper mod to make it quieter would be to get some belt drive components like a platter and motor and figure out how to retro-fit it. I can certainly see the ‘quieter’ aspects of belt drive vs dd.