Tired of the Technics vs Rega Turntable debate?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AKA-Chuck G, Dec 22, 2020.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you mean the Pioneer in your profile, it likely needs servicing at this point.

Here's someone giving it care and attention:

Pioneer PL-530 Direct-Drive Turntable Service & Repair

Further, that's an earlier gen 70s DD deck, with pitch pots instead of a Quartz Lock.

coolhandjjl and Big Blue like this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Current-production Technics DDs don’t have that issue, though. So strictly looking at Rega vs. Technics, it’s a moot point.

Randoms and coolhandjjl like this.
  3. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

I share this experience as well.

patient_ot and Big Blue like this.
  4. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Not really so much a debate, as a shouting match, akin to the first presidential debate back in September.

Rather than rehash the same shouting points over and over, perhaps a better solution would be a ban, or at least a moratorium, on "Which Turntable Should I Buy" threads. Between this site, AudioKarma and Vinyl Engine, the merits of pretty much every turntable ever made have been discussed at some length, all available with a quick and painless Google search. Human nature causes most to want their own personal recommendation thread, you know, just in case there has been some game changing new turntable technology introduced in the last 15 minutes that makes all such previous threads instantaneously obsolete.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    ThorensSme, AKA-Chuck G and harby like this.
  5. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I owned an early nineties Rotel rp-855 with a cheap Sankyo DC servo motor that worked fine for nearly 20 years of moderate use. Currently using one of those rubber band Pro-ject tables with a cheap motor that's been quiet and kept accurate speed for 3 years of heavy use. It sounds pretty good too, at least to these ears it does. If it does conk out in the future then I'll just have to fork out £60 for a new motor, which is no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

AKA-Chuck G, Boltman92124 and Randoms like this.
  6. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

The irony of spending 10-20 times the cost of the motor on a turntable power supply has never been lost on me. I didn’t base my buying decision on the make of the motor, simply the listening experience in comparison with alternative turntables - others may make different decisions.

Maybe in deference to what the better direct drive turntables do very well, my favourite LP12 upgrade was the Lingo and I've been very impressed with the Rega Neo.

Whilst the earlier Technics SL-1200s didn't do it for me, the GR is good and the G very good: my nearest dealer stocks both Linn (plus other rubber band turntables!) and both Technics SL-1200G and SL-1000R.

I no longer can run turntables because of my beautiful Autistic son, but there are some really good turntables both belt and DD for people to enjoy their records.

Happy listening however you prefer to rotate.

7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I saw your post earlier on the Linn vs 1200G thread on your analysis of different LP12.... nicely done, and interesting findings. Very useful for anyone looking.

I own a 1200G.... I like it a lot. I also have a 1200 M3D and MK3 setup, and a few vintage in storage --- I've been collecting / selling 1200's of different flavors since 1980 :) and probably have had > 20 pass through my hands / system.

Note I also own a plethora of other TT's from vintage to new (so I do prefer to "rotate"... literally), I've been having fun experimenting / experiencing for the last few years.... and the selling off has slowly begun which was always part of the plan. My problem is I get attached to things, and although I've sold tons of stuff over the years, every sale hurts just a little bit or more.... just me! :)

Randoms likes this.
  8. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah I'd be interested if 33.5 really sounded that different, or if it was just a little subtle tempo change. I've often thought of getting a Rega..just a P1 or P2 to experience one. They have nice tonearms and I'm sure sound pretty good but everybody seems to want to gut these TT's with mods. My LP120 is rock solid on speed. Strobe doesn't budge. Goes to show the cheap AT DD's can be fine in this regard. Been very reliable too.

Randoms and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I love Rega. It's so easy to change out carts quickly and get desired tracking error scheme, as well as get ideal VTA/SRA , not!

10. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I just don’t understand why Rega don’t make TTs that run at the right speed.

To my ears, incorrect speed is as bad as, if not worse than, an off-centre pressing. At least an off-centre pressing hits the right pitch twice per revolution. :)

Seriously, though, an off-centre record is just a product of slapdash workmanship, but a TT that’s deliberately designed to run fast could be seen as weirdly perverse.

highqualityrecords and Big Blue like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You’ve got a pitch fader on the LP120, right? Maybe nudge it up about 1% and see what sounds different to you, if you’re curious. I think you are probably right that some people don’t notice or don’t mind a turntable running a little fast, and I would think running a DD about 1% fast would be a good test to determine whether it would bother you or not.

If I was going to buy Rega, because I know how common it is for owners to end up doing various mods and adding a PSU with speed control, the lowest model I would expect I could enjoy is the P6, since it includes the PSU and better sub-platter. For about the US price of a P6, I bought a SL-1210GR, which I (obviously, since I bought it...) judge to be a better-built and higher-quality turntable.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't have perfect pitch, but I do notice when things sound off. And I've heard all the common rubber band decks many times, at stores, at friend's houses, etc. I've also examined them personally and found the build quality to not be worth it for me.

With DD, not all DD systems are created equal. Some of the Hanpin/Ya Horng stuff have w/f numbers just as bad as lower-end belt drive decks. I don't care for those either, and the ones I've heard and have examined personally had sloppy build quality as well. Maybe they are getting better now (I haven't looked at one in 2 years at least) but I have no interest in them and cannot recommend them in good conscience, not for hi-fi/home listening playback in any case.

highqualityrecords and Big Blue like this.
  13. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I like the Rega for quick and easy cart switching. Yeah, fast alignment to preferred tracking error scheme and getting ideal VTA/SRA without having to space out the tonearm. Ob, wait a minute, did I say Rega, I meant Technics.

14. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

All of these "fast rega tables" will be slowed down by groove drag. I would lay money down only dogs could hear the difference between 33.3333 and

Sure does. That one was 2 on 1 but this one has become 10 on 1. But I can take it. Just get all of your biases out in the open.

15. AKA-Chuck G

So, which Rega TT models have you listened to?

16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I like direct drive because I don't have to mess with the belt to play 45 speed records and its just typically less maintenance overall. I've got nothing against belt drives, if they sound a bit better or not, i have no idea personally but for me its the convenience factor.

Big Blue and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  17. AKA-Chuck G

If Rega is so bad, why do you see their tonearms on every TT configuration know to man? Even Technics. I don't usually see many Technics arms on anything else.

18. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Absolutely, you should judge Technics by their current range.

Equally Rega made massive upgrades to the Planar 3 and Planar 6 in 2016, so anyone who hasn't heard these is basing criticism on models nearly 5 years out of production.....

Big Blue likes this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If Rega is so good, why do so many people use a different turntable with their tonearms? ;)

AKA-Chuck G and MCM_Fan like this.
  20. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

When AKA-Chuck G started this thread by repeating a bunch of BS lies I felt I had no choice but to come in and set the record straight. There are a lot of newer members here and they don't need to be steered in the wrong direction. Maybe the OP should read up on TT history and find out where that mis-information came from. I state the facts on my first post in this matter but he choose to ignore them.
    So Chuck, if you choose to have a Rega, or some other table of your choosing, so be it. Don't come in here though with a bunch of bold face lies and expect to not get blasted. When some new member is looking for advice on getting a TT, we owe it to them to let them know there are better alternatives, sometimes much cheaper if they buy vintage and are not afraid of servicing it.

BillWojo

highqualityrecords likes this.
  21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My reservations about Rega are limited to what I have seen of speed accuracy and w&f specs (none of which Rega themselves are willing to publish), the crazy-annoying VTA adjustment scheme, and my inclination to expect feedback from a low-mass design. I say “reservations” because I am not in a position to give real criticism. They may play records wonderfully. But spinning at the correct speed and keeping that constant is job #1 of a turntable, and a turntable that doesn’t even bother to claim it does that with some published specs is basically a nonstarter for me.

highqualityrecords and BillWojo like this.
  22. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

What table is it? Have you ever serviced it? Likely it's 35 or 40 years old. Do you really expect it to sound like it was fresh out of the box? Any table that old needs a complete service. Recap any electronics, clean the pots and clean and lubricate the spindle bearing, maybe replace the thrust pad if needed.

BillWojo

highqualityrecords likes this.
  23. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I’m sick and tired of the debates so I’m gonna start another thread about it?

24. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

@Big Blue, so Rega won't even publish specs? Wow, that says a lot. Even the cheap low end junk that the Japanese sold in the late eighty's and into the nineties had published specs. The salesman would use those specs to make you want to buy further up in the line. Not publishing specs tells me they are hiding something.

BillWojo

McLover and Big Blue like this.
  25. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

This sentiment here is everything. Shouts to @patient_ot for steering me in the right direction upon my introduction to the forum.

patient_ot likes this.
  26. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

He WAS a BAD DUDE!! Lol.

Personally I would jump at a top rated DD or belt drive table currently made. I’m not knowledgeable with firsthand experience with the latest and greatest Technics SL1200s so I defer to those who are lucky enough to spend quality time with them. I would aim a little higher for the new SP10 and maybe a heavier Ortofon or perhaps a vintage Fidelity Research arm if I was going to go the Technics DD route. I have a respect for Regas but I like a more massively heavy machine these days. There really is no wrong when you are at the Rega and SL1200 levels.