Any Ryley Walker fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident Thread Starter

I gotta wonder what his next album will sound like.

Have we’ve already heard his best album?

JoFr and cublowell like this.
  2. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Only one I've heard is All Kinds of You, but I really like that one!

WHMusical likes this.
  3. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

He's never really put it all together. I think he might lack the songwriting chops to make a great solo LP. Good as a collaborator and funny on twitter.

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I can't get enough of Ryley Walker, as well as his collaborations.

WHMusical, rob68 and Houseplants like this.
  5. Houseplants

You don’t think primrose green and the following album are good?

I think they’re are great but after that it’s big or miss

AlienRendel and WHMusical like this.
  6. Electric

Listening now:
    [​IMG]

Listening later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Pre pandemic, Ryley was always a guy who I would go see if he came to town. $15-, mesmerizing show, with a drummer that always left me slack jawed, he was so stunning (Ryan Jewell). Ryley is really a guy you have to see for his albums to come alive.

8. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Love him a lot and in my opinion he keeps getting better.

Golden Sings was my favorite but now I think Deafman Glance is his best work.

WHMusical likes this.
  9. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Completely agree.

I saw him about 4 years back in a small intimate venue, accompanied by the GREAT Danny Thompson, great show.

As an added bonus Meg Baird was the support act!!

What a great night, hopefully the likes of which will return soon...

10. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Hes the bomb! I think he got it all together for Primrose Green, and every album has its charms. Super nice and accessible guy.

First time I saw him was at Henry Miller Library in Big Sur. That was super trippy as it was inside the library (think small bookstore the size of a one room cabin.) Which was weird cause the other shows I was there were all out on the front lawn: First Aid Kit, Joanna Newsom, Robin Pecknold.
    The lawn will hold 100-168 comfortably, but the cabon maybe 40 max before you run out of H2O.
    Plus, there was an olde school psychedelic light show being beamed into the cabin from outside the front window. This was very distracting and annoying and unnecessary and seem to wig Ryley right out. About half way though the show he´s playing an intense indian rage and he starts shaking his head like a whirling dervish until his Beanie falls over his eyes, thus saving him from the light show being beamed right at him. He chilled and found a groove after that, but not for long. He seemed mooody and not into the show and after only about an hour said, ¨Ök, last one, then let´s all go down to Fernwood and get drunk.¨ He might of been high on something local stronger than pot...

Second time was early 2019, he was playing the local art-deco theatre opening for Richard Thompson (whom I LOVE). A month previous to the show I had a dream that he (Ryley) did an in-store at my Local Indie Record Shoppe. I told them about that and their label liaison called up the label and it became a reality, and in store at 4:00, before opening for RT two-three hours later a block away. Of course I attended the in store, one of many, maybe a dozen to 20 folks. At Four PM show time the place was unpacked, so I invited Ryley out back for to smoke a J (like Simon due) before the show. After much hassle trying to find a feirstech, we duly had a nice long joint, and shot the ****e out back in the alley until about 4:20, then he went in and played his heart out for ,say, 15 people. Hé´s that kind of guy. After the in store he signed his first four albums for me; some with hilarious, irreverent comments. Later that night he did another most excellent set opening for RT. He was so down to earth and nice and just a guy, yet you could tell he was really talented and troubled.

All in all a great two shows--3 shows really, totally different both (all 3) edgy with a sense of danger afoot, and both really left me stunned and smiling.

I love all his albums, even the weird covers album. But for me, his first two haven´t been bested...yet. All Kinds of You is his ¨Bert Jansch "album, and Primrose Green is his ¨Nick Drake/John Martyn/Van Morrison album.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Electric likes this.
  11. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I saw him with to Danny too. Great show. Same him with a small band more recently and loved it. Some of my buddies thought he was a bit self-indulgent.

Sudie, WHMusical and Gasman1003 like this.
  12. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

He's been sober I think over a year and a half now, so maybe crazy stage behavior is all in the past.

Can't wait to hear the next album.

WHMusical likes this.
  13. Houseplants

I saw this tour. It was my favorite show in that venue.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  14. Electric

I also hear a lot of John Fahey in his recordings.

WHMusical likes this.
  15. Houseplants

Anyone get “For Michael Ripps” vinyl this week?

my pressing came slightly warped due crappy cheap packaging. Tge pressing is loud too but I’m going to clean it and se if it improves.

16. WHMusical

No. No idea it was out! Is it his new full length record? On what label? vinyl? Inquiring Walker minds want to know!!!

17. Houseplants

It’s on his own label. Husky Pants records. Lol

WHMusical likes this.
  18. WHMusical

Good to know. Iĺl see if my Local IRS can get me a copy!

Great label name.

Funny Dude!

19. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

I have Golden Sings and Deafmans Glance. I love them both to pieces but they do need a few spins to grow on you.

rob68 likes this.
  20. Houseplants

I just read something that made me cream my jeans.

A local record store just posted a pre release of Ryley Walker jamming with Kikagaku Moyo in 2018. Sorry in store only in Pittsburgh.

21. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Saw him in 2015. The great Michael Chapman was the opening act! Mr Chapman stood right next to,me during Ryleys set. It was a fairly light crowd in Albany that night but what a show!
    I like his collaboration with Charles Rumback. Played the snot out of that record last year!

Houseplants and Jowcol like this.
  22. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I love Primrose Green. Ive talked with Ryley a few times through a Phish forum on line and he actually hates Primrose Green. I don't know why.

23. Houseplants

rumback album is great

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  24. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Have seen them both a few times, but that would be a great double bill

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  25. JoFr

JoFr Fine fine music

Big fan of Pimrose Green and Ryley Walker’s collab with Rumback. But even better to see life performances, always great. And today I purchased his new life album Deep Fried Grandeur with Kikagaku Moyo. Wow great guitar psych. Excellent pressing and sound. Quiet, as if without audience. But I was there at Helling in 2018 at my favourite festival Le Guess Who? Highly recommended.