Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

they're warped by improper cooling from the press, shrink has nothing to do with it.

googlymoogly and Piero like this.
  2. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Correct.

3. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

This! All of it!

The Bard likes this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I wish Self Portrait would happen, but I understand why it hasn’t: at 45 rpm, it would have to be a 4 LP set retailing for over $100, and, even after the rehabilitation of Another Self Portrait, I’m guessing that’s a risk MoFi doesn’t want to take. Honestly, a 6 LP 45 rpm MoFi Another Self Portrait would be my dream release of this era.

I think Street Legal and Slow Train Coming would sell out quickly if MoFi could get the rights to them, although, with Street Legal there would be the dilemma of whether to use the muddy original master recording or the, in my opinion, superior remix. Slow Train Coming, on the other hand, is one of Dylan’s best recorded albums, perhaps even his most “audiophile” album, and would pretty clearly shine with the MoFi treatment.

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I would be fine if Self Portrait was done at 33, a la New Morning. I agree that a 45 rpm, 4 LP boxset for this title is probably a bridge too far for most people.

I agree with you on the dilemma on Street Legal, as Mofi likes to use original tapes and I think most prefer the remix. I also agree about Slow Train. I have the “run of the mill” recent reissue of this title, which sounds fantastic. I can only imagine that a Mofi version would be on another sonic level.

CBackley and Spencer R like this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If MoFi announced a 33 1/3 rpm double LP of Self Portait, I’d be all over it.

NorthernFusion and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Both mixes! That would be a dream.

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The recent-ish Kevin Gray cut for Sundazed is really good. That said, if MFSL redid it I’d probably buy that, too.

SteveM and NorthernFusion like this.
  9. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Slow Train is a prime a candidate for a mofi release. What a killer record!

Tim Albertson likes this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have a nice original copy of Self Portrait on vinyl. The only way I’d ever rebuy it is if MoFi did it.

11. GazHilarant

GazHilarant Forum Resident

So it sounds like there may be more MFSL Dylan releases going into 2021, they were asked on Facebook if there would be new releases in the Dylan collection or if they are done.

They were relatively ambiguous in their response "We will announce some upcoming 2021 titles very soon"

they also mention that Blonde on Blonde will be getting a repress, however no ETA is available at this time.

nfmboss666 and tanqueray cowboy like this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Sundazed version of Self Portrait cut by KG and pressed at QRP is still available (got it from Amazon UK) and is very good sounding.

SteveM likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Any word on Oh Mercy being restocked?

14. GazHilarant

Nothing mentioned on there, however if it's still on their site they will restock at some point.

mpayan likes this.
  15. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Really looking forward to filling some gaps in the collection. Right now I have Freewheelin' Mono, Times Stereo, Blood on the Tracks One Step, Desire SV, and Love & Theft.

Really looking forward to the Blonde on Blonde, possible Time Out Of Mind, and whatever they might do with Bringing It All Back Home the most (hopefully a retail store viable Supervinyl as I don't think they'll do a regular repress). A lot of the first pressing of BIABH have some distortion issues and would love to hear this with the MOFI treatment.

Echoes Myron and Spencer R like this.
  16. GazHilarant

I wish I could get my hands on a Freewheelin' Mono, I am only missing that and Blonde on Blonde for a complete set.

Mind you I didn't buy the Blood on the Tracks One Step.

17. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I was really lucky to get the Freewheelin' Mono in that I only decided to start buying these MOFI's earlier this fall and that was the first one I jumped on. Just a few weeks later the prices started jumping.

18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Any bets it's another super-vinyl release with a very limited number pressed. Keep your eyes open.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

MoFi sent out an email saying that the 2x45 S/T Dylan and the 2x45 Mono The Times They are a-Changin' will soon be out of print.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I just got 2 x 45 mono the Times They Are A-Changin’ last week. Frantically trying to complete the collection before these go out of print. Bob’s vocals on the 45 rpm mono Times are in-the-room-with-you real.

21. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Similarly hurrying to snatch up as many of these as I can before prices sky rocket. Used a holiday gift card and grabbed three monos: Bob Dylan, JWH, and Times they are a-Changin, and they’re all spectacular. I honestly can’t imagine them sounding any better. Was able to grab a few from MoFi directly too, including the Desire SV, Planet Waves and Pat Garrett (& I already owned Freewheelin’). Really happy with them all.

Hoping that some day I’ll have a chance to snag BoB, H61, and some of the Band stuff too.

Spencer R likes this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Between the MoFi SACDs and the MoFi LPs, I have some MoFi version of every Dylan album they’ve done from the debut through Blood on the Tracks. But I would like to get every last one of the mono LPs before they go out of print.

23. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Forum Resident

I was fortunate to grab the first eight Bob Dylan MoFi titles plus Blood on the Tracks one-step. The Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde I bought a couple years ago when they were in stock and preordered the Blood on the Tracks when it was available at the retail. Initially I was planning to stop at these titles plus Greatest Hits. But I sensed some of the titles were starting to go out of print and picked up the rest of the titles during the Acoustic Sounds 15% off sale with no tax back in March. I passed on the Desire super vinyl but may pick up Freewheelin stereo and Highway 61 mono if they ever decide to reissue these in super vinyl.

24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have all the MoFi Dylan LPs except for the first seven albums in stereo. I only have the mono versions of JWH and BIABH because I like the Sony vinyl box so much. I already had the MoFi SACDs for everything (aside from Greatest Hits) in stereo and mono (as applicable) before I went nuts buying the LPs. They’re all fantastic releases, and I really hope MFSL does more Dylan.

25. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

I’m hoping for new releases instead of re-releases on super vinyl. If it’s both, then that would be gravy.