Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

In honor of the great composers birthday, now enjoying this SHM SACD set.

Erik B., crispi, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Listened to Beethoven Sonatas No. 24-27 last night. The enjoyment continues.
    Igor Levit
    Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas
    Sony
    9 CDs

Erik B., Zafu, crispi and 3 others like this.
  4. dale 88

Massenet: Visions
    Royal Scottish National Orchestra
    Jean-Luc Tingaud, conductor
    Naxos, 2020
    This is a pleasant listen to some orchestral music that includes a couple of overtures, an orchestral suite, and incidental music. The Invocation section of Les Érinnyes includes the famous melody sometimes called Elegie when played as a separate piece. As played here by Aleksei Kiseliov, cello, with the the orchestra, it is well done. I can't remember when I first heard that melody. It must go back to my childhood.

Tingaud's direction is excellent, the playing of the RNSO is first-rate (especially if you remember its sound in the mid-8o's).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  5. Rose River Bear

I like that disc.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

The "Elegie" is one of those pieces that used to be pervasive 'way back when but seem to have fallen out of fashion in more recent years. Checking my catalogue, I see that without having gone out of my way to accumulate them I have 16 recordings of it on 78s, almost all from the acoustic (pre-1925) era, mostly vocal, three or four instrumental (a cello soloist, an organist, otherwise violinists). Most are by big name artists--Caruso, Rosa Ponselle, Maggie Teyte, Chaliapin among other singers, Mischa Elman, Josef Hollman (major cellist at the turn of the 19th/20th c.), Lauri Kennedy (ditto, just a bit later, accompanying Marie Rappold, a soprano who recorded extensively for Edison, not much remembered today but who had a significant career at the time) among the instrumentalists. It shows up not a single time in my LPs and only thrice in my CDs (Tortelier on 'cello, Jeannie Tourel and one Francis Dudziak as vocalists; the Tortelier dates back better than 40 years and the Tourel almost 50). Fashionable or no, when well performed, it's a heart-rendingly beautiful piece of music.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Wes H and dale 88 like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Keeping with Massenet..... his fantastic PC.

[​IMG]

Wes H, dale 88 and George P like this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

VARÈSE: The Complete Works - Royal Concertgebow Orchestra and ASKO Ensemble conducted by Riccardo Chailly

[​IMG]

puelche and sambamaster like this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

This new 3CD set just arrived! Now enjoying a first spin. So far, the playing is spectacular and the transfers by Ward Marston are excellent as always.

dale 88 and harvard75 like this.
  10. dale 88

David Alan Miller
    National Orchestral Institute Philharmonic
    Kevin Cole, piano
    Naxos, 2020
    George Gershwin: Concerto in F
    Harbison: Remembering Gatsby
    Joan Tower: Sequoia
    Walter Piston: Symphony No. 5
    This Gershwin performance doesn't do it for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I really enjoyed restoring this E+ condition record that a friend gave me, recorded november 3, 1938. Just goes to show how lovely UK Columbia 78s can sound!

crispi likes this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I spent some time in the past couple of evenings with a new acquisition, Opus 9156 0693, a CD collection of operetta overtures performed by the Slovak PO under Kurt Woss. Collectors of vintage LPs will recognize that name as the conductor who figured prominently in Remington's catalogue from the early days of LP. I liked his work there, and I *really* liked it on the CD. He has exactly the right deft touch for this light repertoire, and the recording is vivid, absolutely top notch, worth 'way more than the three-bucks-plus-shipping I paid for it. A treat musically and audiophilically (is that a word?).

Incidentally, I gather that the Nedbal work, given here as Vintage, is (to the extent one can say it's known at all, at least in this country) better known as something like Betrothal in a Vineyard. The Bat," of course, is our old friend Die Fledermaus, and Parisian Life is La Vie Parisienne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

My word, yes it does. Thanks for sharing that! The ubiquitous Walter Goehr apparently had a good feel for ballet music. He conducted the orchestra in the first recording of the Respighi-Rossini La Boutique Fantasque, and my memory (from having played it a good bit years and years ago, when I first got the set) is that it's an engaging recording. Hmm...a ballet featuring a toy shop...and it's Christmas Eve...I think I hear my turntable calling me!

[Edit] Ooops! My memory is playing tricks on me--the toyshop comes to life under the baton of Eugene Goossens.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    crispi likes this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, by the way, for the operaphiles among us, tonight (12/24/2020) marks the 100th anniversary of the last time Enrico Caruso sang in public, in a production of Halevy's La Juive at the Met. I've been dipping into my Caruso records a bit tonight in memory of the occasion.

Rose River Bear and George P like this.
  15. George P

Happy holidays to all my Classical homies! :wave:

Wes H, dale 88, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

And to you George. Getting in the mood with this. Feeling physically terrible but trying to get in the spirit. First time I played the CD for years. One of the oldest CDs in my collection.

[​IMG]

Wes H and George P like this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Another fine Massenet disc.

18. Rose River Bear

What a great CD that is.

mBen989 likes this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

I just finished making good on that threat. The recording is every it as lively as I remember it, if a bit more worn. A nice walk down memory lane, and a great way to end Christmas Eve. Merry, merry, happy, happy everyone!

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Indeed. I can hear his influence on FZ.

21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yesterday, for some reason, I listened to all of Brahms' symphonies plus his Tragic Overture and Variations on a Theme by Haydn. Lovely stuff.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  22. George P

Nice stuff! Who was conducting?

23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I knew someone would ask!
    The order in which I listened:
    Symphonies No. 2 and 3, George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra
    Symphony No. 1, Karl Böhm , Berliner Philharmoniker
    Tragic Overture, Lorin Maazel, Berliner Philharmoniker
    Symphony No. 4, Karl Böhm, Wiener Philharmoniker
    Haydn Variations, Eugen Jochum, London Symphony Orchestra

Wes H, rockerreds and George P like this.
  24. shivasage

shivasage Member

Hi guys. Does anyone have experience with Philips Classics reissues? I've been doing some research for labels to look for, and a few times Philips Netherlands was recommended. I found this Debussy recording which was originally released by Philips Netherlands, but I prefer the artwork for this Philips Classics reissue, also from the Netherlands. The reissue has a different runout but lists the original's runout on its label. Not sure if that means anything. Is there anything telling me that this reissue will sound as good as the original, or is it just a shot in the dark?

25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this 2CD set, from the big Bruckner Celibidache set.