Target B2G1 Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by rjraphael, Sep 24, 2019.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sounds like the Target ship has sailed. Too many hassles. Fun while it lasted.

2. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Sarah Vaughan too. The Vaughan one is, I think, bumped to end of January on Acoustic Sounds, and Target delayed til Jan. 4th, so I'm sure it will require delay approval again or be canceled.

3. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

so strange my byrd keeps getting the emails to approve the delay while others are cancelled.
    i'm expecting them to just cancel it eventually.

4. soam

soam Forum Resident

Target was fun while it lasted. But I just did a quick calculation and 26% of my recent orders have been cancelled (without email notice) and that's probably going to increase as some of those are still pending. That shouldn't be acceptable from any retailer.

5. Levi's Tubs

Meh, it's probably more on the distributor than Target. Even Acoustic Sounds has delayed their own products. Honestly, as jacked up as all sides of retail have been the last year, I can't get too worked up about a pre-order on a record being canceled.

hutlock, hype and stinsojd like this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, this for sure. I’m not exactly thrilled but it isn’t like I can’t find Tone Poets or the AP Verve releases somewhere else...

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Had my Lee Morgan Rajah preorder cancelled in the dead of night, but got it reinstated after a protracted conversation with a very nice woman speaking English as a second language.

Kind of a time sink, but it was "the principle of the thing" as much as anything for me, and a chance to provide feedback about how they are blowing it with their cancellation policy. My usual procedure in such instances is to carefully explain to whomever I'm talking to that my gripe is not with them personally, I'm sure they're a nice person etc etc, and then really let them have it. I follow that by reiterating the "nothing personal" schpiel.

I told her if they didn't ditch this policy, I would quit shopping at Target. I said that they were losing a lot of other angry customers over it too, based on what I was hearing on my "music chat groups". She said she'd pass this feedback on. No doubt, it will get forwarded to the highest corporate levels at Target and will be addressed very soon.... :D:D:D:laughup:

8. Levi's Tubs

The end result will just be Target no longer offering pre-orders on items. You're not going to change the policy of a gigantic corporation for the better.

lv70smusic likes this.
  9. The Vinyl Lover

The Vinyl Lover Forum Resident

Same here, I’ll just go for in stock items only, don’t see the point in preordering items that won’t be fulfilled. With many labels pressing very limited amount of items, you risk losing on an item you really want (like in my case, the Nina Simone reissues). I just placed an order on the only site that seems to have both items in stock (Acoustic Sounds) at 30$ each (vs 20$ for the Target preorders that were never fulfilled).

10. While I have had many preorders cancelled as well, I have had many more that are fulfilled. If Target cancels you can almost always get them elsewhere for $27 or whatever, might as well give it a shot and the ones that get fulfilled are for at a price that is practically stealing

11. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

The only cancellation I got so far was a Nina Simone title - I ended up canceling the other AS title and buying local. My Donald Byrd got delayed again, along with Sarah Vaughan, Max Roach, Paul Chambers, and Lee Morgan, which I just approved. No cancellation yet...

12. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

We are all pretty much on the same page with this. The sales are great and they should be encouraged to continue. It seems that someone at Target thinks they are doing a service with this business of sending out a notice that you have to respond ASAP or your order is going to be canceled. If a shipment is delayed let the consumer decide whether to cancel or accept the new delivery schedule: "Click here to cancel," otherwise no action necessary.

At least they don't charge until the item is actually shipped. Incidentally, like everyone else I received a batch of "approve at once, the clock is ticking" notices overnight. Fortunately I was up early enough to respond before all my orders were canceled.

13. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

FYI, I have had only excellent experiences with customer service online. When they cancelled some of my order without notification, I complained and they let me reorder the titles at the discounted 3 for 2 price.

14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Not sure about that.
    To be clear, I'm no friend of gigantic corporations and have little faith in them to focus on anything other than the bottom line and externalizing all possible costs.

But it seems to me that the ill will generated and the time their customer service people spend on this indicate that it would be more cost effective to just notify customers periodically with updated estimated shipping dates, and offer them the option to cancel if they get tired of waiting, like most other businesses do. Unless it's simply a ploy to reduce the number of sale price pre-orders they need to fill (which most here seem to doubt) then it's just a lame oversight that could be corrected if they care about this sector of their business.

It's all probably moot anyway; I doubt anyone with decision space on this is paying attention.

*EDIT* Looks like Biff made the same point, more succinctly..

Biff Jones likes this.
  15. Levi's Tubs

That's not quite true. They essentially hold the funds, which you see in "pending" transactions, until the item is delivered. So, really, the money is gone from your account.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Particularly not one whose profits have soared this year. I doubt that isolated complaints from people buying vinyl online are going to be seen as a threat to Target's bottom line.

hutlock likes this.
  17. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Are you talking about a debit or credit purchase? If credit, the money isn't gone from your account. If you're always close to hitting your credit limit, you could say that amount is tied up and perhaps not able to be used as credit, but in no way is any money taken from the account you use to pay your credit card.

For debit, no idea.

18. Levi's Tubs

Yep, that's how debits are managed with card processing. Funds are held until the transactions post to your account.

19. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

One more cancellation, my Sarah Vaughan preorder was cancelled without notice.

20. soam

soam Forum Resident

Same. Clifford Brown too.

21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

If you're in a Target, check the clearance rack; you never know, there could be a returned online item there. I saw REM's Out of Time for $15. No other sales going on but their record rack was nearly empty.

Cymb79 and superstar19 like this.
  22. Cymb79

Cymb79 Forum Resident

Yeah, i grabbed a returned copy of out of time for 15 bucks, it was slightly warped but played fine. Looked to be repackaged

superstar19 and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  23. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Woke up this morning to the cancellation of my Clifford Brown and Lee Morgan orders at 5am. A warning email was delivered 51 minutes earlier at 4:09am. My "non-response" was given as the reason for the cancellation. Target has now canceled every pre-order I placed, all of which had already gone through multiple "new date for delivery" approvals. What is wrong with this company??

Dignan2000 and superstar19 like this.
  24. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Ugh, sorry to everyone. I guess I'm lucky - only getting delay approvals on the Paul Chambers + Lee Morgan TPs and the Sarah Vaughan + Clifford Brown titles. Just hit approve again...we'll see how long it'll go.

Dignan2000, ATMP and superstar19 like this.
  25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I had all of those still alive yesterday when I went to bed. At 4:03 AM they sent the request to approve the delay. At 5:01 AM, they cancelled all of them except for the Lee Morgan. So that makes SEVEN pre-ordered Tone Poet or AP Verve titles cancelled from my order.

I really don’t understand it and I definitely don’t like it, but I’m sure I’ll order them again next time anyway. It isn’t like I can’t still get the records from about 1,000 other places, and if they do come through, the price can’t be beat. I’m chalking all of this up to COVID delays/2020 Voodoo and moving on.

Worth noting that there was no problem at all with ANY of the other records I ordered, and they were all pre-orders as well. And the last time they ran a sale I pre-ordered all the available Tone Poets and AP Verve titles and got every single one with no trouble.

And last but not least, I’m going to be STUNNED if I actually get the Lee Morgan.