Non-Drummers Playing Drums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Dec 25, 2020.

1. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Yeah, I know it is a prerecorded track but Carl Wilson:

PhoffiFozz and Lonesurf like this.
  2. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

Peter Frampton takes over on drums ten minutes into this clip

MortSahlFan likes this.
  3. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Chaka Khan:

ARK, lobo and MortSahlFan like this.
  4. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

James Brown:

MortSahlFan likes this.
  5. Carlos B

Carlos B Forum Resident

He's a better drummer than he is a guitarist!

6. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I doubt Charlie was doing much tuning during these sessions.

7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Well, whaddya know. Charley is primarily a drummer (per Wikipedia), and he plays on the studio version of "Take It So Hard," which I always thought was ruined by the drumming - for which I blamed Steve Jordan these past 32 years.

GodShifter and Cool hand luke like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Of course, the amusing thing is that he's miming drums on a song that doesn't have any drums on it. And Keith is lip syncing to a Pete Townshend vocal.

PhoffiFozz, sharedon and Svetonio like this.
  9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd say it depends - do they just play drums on the occasional track, or are they a regular one man band, who plays pretty much everything on their albums. Prince certainly qualifies, as his first few albums were mostly one man band affairs - some later albums too, but by then he was mostly using drum machines.

10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Him playing drums in high school negates his playing drums (as well as most or all of the instruments) on his many solo albums, plus playing in one of the King Crimson "offshoot" ProjeKct bands - a trio with himself on drums and Fripp on guitar (and I can't remember who on bass and/or stick). How do you figure THAT?!

Do you *really* think Fripp would play with a drummer who can't play at a professional level (especially when they are the only drummer in the band)?

Plus Belew was a professional drummer in his pre-fame days. He said in an interview that back then he considered drums his "whoring instrument" (ie the instrument he played "just for the money" in cover bands - which was something he never wanted to do as a guitar player).

GodShifter likes this.
  11. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Reference to his heroin period? Regardless a good sounding snare, and Charlie wouldn't tune his own out of need, but by choice. Any good tech could do it just how Charlie likes it, money wouldn't be an issue but a lot of guys would do it for free.

12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Jaco started as a drummer, but suffered an injury as a teen (IIRC playing sports) that severely damaged his wrist (causing permanent weakness) and made him need to give up playing the drums (at least as far as going pro was concerned). I assume he was probably a pretty good drummer since his dad was a professional jazz drummer and likely taught Jaco well.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

If a song needed a mandolin (or a second guitar player) Levon played those, while Richard played the drums. If a song needed two keyboard players - both piano and organ (ie most of the time) Levon played drums.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Richard Manuel started playing drums to cover during the period when Levon left The Band. He just kept at it when Levon came back.

There's plenty of examples of Brian Wilson playing drums; he's the main drummer on The Beach Boys Love You, plays on Funky Pretty, and he or Carl took over on stage when Dennis had his spotlight moment of The Wanderer in their mid-60s concerts. He's just not very good at it...

Graham Coxon from Blur is a great example of a really good guitarist who's also a fantastic drummer. He plays drums on a couple of Blur tracks but nearly all the drumming on his solo albums is by him.

Don't know if the Brewis brothers in Field Music count since they both were drummers in their early careers but are both singer guitarists now, but switch to playing drums when the other brother is singing and playing guitar. It's a fun live experience.

15. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

sharedon likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Townshend on Moon's drums.

[​IMG]

sharedon likes this.
  17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Glenn Danzig plays drums in several tracks of his most recent albums.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The other 3 Beatles

@3:07

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. apb

apb Game on!

Bob Pollard plays drums on GbV's Vampire on Titus and Please Be Honest, among others.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    tonyballz likes this.
  20. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Add the 1981 Money to David Gilmour’s list.

Rooster_Ties and PhoffiFozz like this.
  21. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Why would anyone else be playing drums when Steve Jordan is in the room is what I wanna know

Rooster_Ties and PhoffiFozz like this.
  22. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Watching/hearing this makes me wonder just how much of his studio work was actually Todd on drums. Sounds awfully familiar.

23. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Exactly the clip I was about to post. Nice!

24. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Alan Wilder of Depeche Mode. He taught himself drums for his final album and tour with the band (1993-1994).

user119861 and ChoonyFish like this.
  25. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

All the women in PussnBoots (Norah Jones, Cat Popper, and Sasha Dobson) take turns at the kit.

Rooster_Ties likes this.