Non-Drummers Playing Drums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Dec 25, 2020.

1. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

His fills on the outros of Narrow Way and Fat Old Sun are quite funny.
    Actually Gilmour programmed a drum track but Mason played it in the end.

Rufus rag, DTK and petercl like this.
  2. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny how? :)

3. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I suppose as a drummer myself (of sorts), it sounds to me like an enthusiastic novice pounding away without any concern for timing, precision, restraint etc. It's funny but not in a bad way.

4. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

:D

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Teen Town" (Heavy Weather) has a great drum track from Jaco.

6. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

That was my first thought: IIRC, it's Carlos Alomar on drums, Dennis Davis on bass and George Murray on guitar for the basic track. Eno gets the credit for the idea because it came from an Oblique Strategies card ("Change instrument roles").

7. octophone

Gruff Ryhs played drums on a track or two on Super Furry Animals's "Mwng". I think Dafydd Ieuan had gone home feeling ill and the tight schedule and low budget meant they had to press on without him.

8. octophone

It seems I'm wrong - it was only one track and was a demo that was kept because everyone liked the overall sound and feel of the recording so it was decided not to re-do it.

9. MortSahlFan

I'm a drummer, too. I've heard the song many times, and always focus on the drums because I know it's Gilmour.

I'm listening to it now, his fills seem like he's holding the sticks sooo hard, as the execution is stiff, despite them being decent fills, very reminiscent of Nick Mason.

penguinzzz likes this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not too much overall. He played drums on all the early all-solo albums (S/A, Hermit, TEPTAE). All the Utopia drumming was Willie though, and the later solo albums used electronic drums.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  11. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

You can see Richard Manuel playing some funky drums behind Joni Mitchell in the Last Waltz alternate footage (@ about 28:15 on):

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Isn't that Drayton on The Cult's Ceremony ? (edit: no, he plays bass guitar). Charley also played drums with David Letterman's "World's Most Dangerous Band" on some shows. He's a good drummer. It was his first instrument. He's a multi-talented musician.

Speaking of which, we're seeing a lot of "Stevie Wonder" 0r "Prince" or whomever. Guys that are known as multi-instrumentalists. I believe the OP was talking about musicians, not known for playing drums, that wind up behind the kit for a song or for another band or project. But, I could wrong ... or Wong.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In truth, anyone in Pink Floyd was probably as good as Nick Mason on the kit. Let's face it, he's extremely rudimentary and has even professed he had little interest in getting better or improving his technique.

Rufus rag and Billy Infinity like this.
  14. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder
    Jan Hammer
    Richie Kotzen

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain started out as a drummer and many of the drum parts you hear on Nirvana albums were "composed" by him. He told the band's drummers what to play if he wasn't happy.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well yes and no...

Professionally, on stage, they brought in a drummer to play on the 1966 Dylan tour when Levon quit. It was the following year during the informal Dylan "Basement Tapes" recordings when Richard took up the slack and started occasionally playing drums, before Levon returned.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Well, Dave Gilmour palpably isn't, so bang goes that theory.

Galeans, Seabass and penguinzzz like this.
  18. MortSahlFan

Nick wasn't great live, but he has some tasty fills on record, and knew (like the others) about space, knowing what and when not to play. But yeah, he didn't seem very dedicated, and didn't deviate much from the rock/jazz/funk style... By the mid-70s, his drumming got stiffer throughout the rest of his career.

Billy Infinity and GodShifter like this.
  19. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

Mickey Jones

larryk and wildstar like this.
  20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The question is: if you play the drums, are you then a non-drummer?

MrGrumpy likes this.
  21. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

From the OP’s initial post:
    Adrian Belew was not King Crimson’s drummer. ‘Nuff said. I don’t think this thread was ever about people who can’t play drums playing drums, for whatever reason, in a band where they’re not the drummer.

As for solo albums, the first was shortly after King Crimson’s “Beat”.

I don’t remember saying, or even suggesting, that “Fripp would play with a drummer who can't play at a professional level (especially when they are the only drummer in the band)?” You do realize that that the ProjeKcts were well after “Beat”, right?

So were you simply feeling combative?

22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

No - were YOU? When someone pointed out that Belew was originally a drummer you dismissed it with:

The claim that he was "a high school drummer" is:

1 - dismissive - implying he wasn't very good
    2 - incorrect - since he worked as a PROFESSIONAL drummer both BEFORE - and while - working as a professional guitarist

Either you didn't know these things when you posted (and if that was the case then - "you're welcome") or you did know these facts and YOU were being combative just for the sake of it, since all you provided to the discussion was one short snarky dismissive comment with nothing of value (such as evidence) to back it up, so....

23. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Andrew Gold play drums on Ronstadt's "You're No Good."

24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Somebody probably mentioned this but...
    in the Get Back montage that just hit the interweb, there are short clips of Paul, John and George playing Ringo's drums.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  25. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Can't seem to find it, but there was a 60s show video where Beach Boys Dennis and Carl switch places and Carl does the drumming. Maybe Merv Griffin or possibly Ed Sullivan ?