Non-Drummers Playing Drums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

OK, so clearly combative.

I repeat, he was not King Crimson's drummer, but he did play drums in King Crimson occasionally. I did not imply he wasn't very good, it's really obvious from the video that I posted that he was (is) very good. Stop projecting. I "implied" that his high school drumming isn't relevant to the discussion at hand. And it isn't, so again, so what?

While you're feeling oh so generous, maybe you can inform us all. When did he play drums prior to Beat, other than in high school (yes, he did, in fact, play drums in high school) or a non-album producing band? Was there an album prior to Beat where he was the de facto drummer?

2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

No-one else mentioned "high school drumming" only YOU did that - and BTW how is "so what?" NOT dismissive?

3. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

He did play drums in high school, so why not mention it? That was his "start". But seems especially relevant in response to:

Fact is, he did very little drumming prior to Beat. His career after is really not relevant.

It's not surprising he played in high school, since he is good and an early start is quite consistent with that. Turns out he also contributed some drumming on "The Catherine Wheel" by David Byrne, and "Left Handed Dream" by Ryuichi Sakamoto, he was not de facto drummer. Again, so what? It's not relevant to the fact that he was not King Crimson's drummer, but he did play drums on some songs.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. I've seen a handful of clips of Sammy Davis Jr. drumming - he was quite good!

Drumaniac - R likes this.
  5. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw a clip of Jerry Lewis playing alongside Buddy Rich, and he wasn't bad either!

Rufus rag likes this.
  6. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Really? Is this confirmed? Cool

7. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Well, Chaka got a good groove going on

8. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

It’s a shame he didn’t take over on guitar instead that night

9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What about @Nycademon? His last post? I’d love to hear your response on that. As a guy that has been semi raked over the coals in this thread (me), I think you owe him a retort (all’s fair and all). Or did he get you?

11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

How did he "get me"?

He dissed Belew for being a "high school drummer - who cares", and I educated him that that was BS and that Belew was actually a professional drummer (both before and during the time he was a professional guitarist) to the point where he not only finally admitted it - but even gave a few examples of it himself to pretend that he hadn't dissed Belew with his ridiculous comment!

So....what else do I need to say exactly?

BTW I believe this is the very first time I've ever been specifically asked to prolong an argument on this message board.

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Richard Manuel playing drums on Robbie's songs on Raging Bull OST

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Sad, @wildstar, really sad. I never dissed Adrian Belew, I have a lot of respect for the man. However, in no way was he a professional drummer before Beat. Which was irrelevant to the OP’s topic anyway. In any case, feel free to continue deluding yourself. But don’t bother replying, you’ve earned yourself an ignore.

14. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

So saying he was a "high school drummer - who cares?" is high praise of his drumming abilities then?

16. no time

no time Forum Resident

Beware that this happens later!

[​IMG]

Nycademon and MortSahlFan like this.
  17. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

According to Wiki and other sources, yes.

lobo likes this.
  18. Justanamericanboy

Justanamericanboy Forum Resident

Richard Manuel on Drums

lobo likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

My bad. You’re right. I was apparently in an “altered state” last night (if you get my drift).

20. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Too bad my client doesn't have the permission to look at that third pic..

Who is in the first and second pics? (Besides Bonham, Page, and Moon)

21. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Roy Harper at the mic - it was his gig - billed as something like 'Roy Harper & Friends'.

On bass I'm pretty sure it was Ronnie Lane (looks like him anyway)

The third pic is just a close-up of Bonham and Moon standing together on stage at the gig (for anyone in doubt as to whether it really is Bonham and Moon in that small first pic)

GodShifter and MortSahlFan like this.
  22. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Margo Price usually does a song on drums during her live sets

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, that’s Ronnie Lane.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  24. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

E and Chet did a nice guitar / drum mid-song swap routine at the 2008 eels shows, which was 2 non-drummers playing drums.

[​IMG]

25. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Info and links to hear (bootleg) some of this show:
    Roy Harpers Valentines Day Massacre Concert February 14 1974 Rainbow Theatre Finsbury Park London England

wildstar likes this.