McCartney's Ram outtakes appreciation/request thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

Brace yourselves because this is another beatley thread. The good news is: you can ignore it if you wish. :righton:

Now for those who care:

Next year Ram will turn 50! There will probably a blah-blah-blah vinyl edition like they did with the "McCartney" album this year. But if you think this is not enough, this thread is for you!

WE WANT ALL THE OUTTAKES AND WE WANT THEM NOW! TAKE OUR MONEY!

[​IMG]

Oh! But there are outtakes on the 2012 Archive edition (EDIT) and also on 2018's Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway...

But no. That's not enough! We know there is much more in the vaults and we'll pay good money to hear it all, we know we will.

For example:

For many years it was rumoured that Paul recorded lead vocals for I Lie Around in 1971. Now we know that this is true due to the CBS 16-track sheets shown on "Ram"s Archive box set. We want to hear it.

Another example:

In the same book, engineer Eirik "The Norwegian" says he mixed the tracks first and then was asked to select the ones to go on the album and sequence them. According to those track sheets, the outtakes that were finished during the sessions were Get On The Right Thing, When The Wind Is Blowing, Little Woman Love and The Great Cock And Seagull Race, while a few others were nearly finished and a couple of songs were only partialy recorded.

If Eirik wasn't misremembering, at least those four songs were mixed during the mixing sessions for the album (not to be confused with the "after that fact" mixes by Dixon Van Winkle). Oh, he also says to have recorded the whole performance of Big Barn Bed of which we only hear a few seconds at the end of Ram On. Why it wasn't included on the 2012 Archive remaster is beyond me...

So...

Why not release something like those Bob Dylan box sets? Give us all the rough mixes and what have you.
    If the costs of producing such a box are too high, then why not a digital-only release like The Beach Boys' "Sunshine Tomorrow"?

There is big money to be made from those outtakes, rough mixes and everything, dear Record Company/MPL/whoever.
    So if you're a Ram obsessive like me, or if it's on your greatest albums lists, join in!

What kind of pressure can we make to FREE THE ARCHIVES?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Those have been released on the archive reissues of "Red Rose Speedway" and "Wild Life", along with the magnificent early mix of "Little Lamb Dragonfly", but I sure want to hear the original version of "I Lie Around" some day since it's one of my all-time favorite McCartney b-sides.

3. tug_of_war

No, no.

Those mixes were done by Dixon Van Winkle in July 1971 - after the fact.

I am referring to the mixes by Eirik Wangberg done during the mixing sessions for the album in March/April 1971.

Hep Alien, tages and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Not really interested in different mixes of released songs but this is what we need and it would be the perfect occasion to release these demos:
    1970 RAM DEMOS Listing

5. tug_of_war

Oh yes! Those demos are wanted dead or alive too!

Rocco, PhoffiFozz and linklinc like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

7. tug_of_war

:uhhuh:

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I bought Ram when it first came out. I moved on to Alice cooper and Jethro Till quickly. I am confused of the rewriting of Ram as some great album. I liked the 45 uncle albert. I gave up after give my regards broad street

Bern likes this.
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Damned, you're right... I was writing from memory and I should have checked my notes (and the archive reissue books) before posting.

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I didn't want to be the first one to rag on about how much I dislike ' Ram ' and I wasn't going to say anything actually but now that someone has shown the way....

walrus, Bern, savemenow and 1 other person like this.
  11. a customer

yea almost everything is great by the Beatles.
    Beatles solo not even close.

12. Wildest cat from montana

I was a young teen and just getting into music and The Beatles when they split up and I was bummed out about it until I realized that all four of them would release solo albums. So ! Four times as much great music ! Fab !
    And that seemed to be the way it was going to be at first but the mediocrity crept in soon enough.

savemenow and sound chaser like this.
  13. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

This is the problem with the archive series - not enough outtakes. He should have put this stuff out when he had the chance.

14. tug_of_war

Wrong thread, guys. I'm sorry.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Well...threads are like a box of chocolates. You never know where the f*** they're gonna go.

16. tug_of_war

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. tug_of_war

Yes, but this is an "apprecitation thread" ;)

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m in for whatever arises, though I'm not expecting too much.

19. Wildest cat from montana

I appreciate that...

20. a customer

Are there not enough appreciation threads of the genius of McCartney
    So the outakes of ram are as great as ram or less as great

21. tug_of_war

22. tug_of_war

I don't care about the genius of McCartney. Give more Ram!

23. Wildest cat from montana

Was going to say how much more I like the album this is from over ' Ram ' but never mind.....

joy stinson and Dr. Pepper like this.
  24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I can't appreciate them much, because I haven't heard them. I do like the album.

tug_of_war likes this.
  25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’ve been thinking about this too and was considering starting a McCartney Copyright Extension thread. We’ve seen The Beatles, John Lennon and now George Harrison estates celebrate album anniversaries with large sets (ATMP still unknown) containing several studio outtakes that show work in progress. I’ve loved all the bonus stuff on these sets and Ram deserves nothing less!

I am really hoping that MPL is planning something for Ram next year. There’s a lot in the vault from the original 1970 NYC sessions and could easily fill 2-3 discs with demos and early takes. Some of that has already been bootlegged but what we need is a Imagine Ultimate Collection type set for Ram.

DK Pete, Rocco, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.