Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

While Kev never '$*#ts' on anything, Marc gives some interesting notes on what coulda made this a better movie!
    (@ 54:20)

2. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Saw WW84 at the theaters on Christmas day, in IMAX.

Sure, it devolves in to a mess, but start to finish it was an entertaining mess for my. I enjoyed it.

maui jim, Chris DeVoe and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Not sure why the studio is so attached to Patty Jenkins. I believe Jenkins nearly walked off the set of WW2 due to a dispute over her salary. Given the negative reaction to WW2 from both critics and fans, maybe they ought to consider a new director.

5. MikaelaArsenault

I was just going to say that.

6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

How do they screw up the release date of Operation Wolf, which came out in 1987, not to mention the presence of the 1986 arcade game Rampage?

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Given how Scorcese feels superhero movies are 'theme parks' and 'not cinema' I doubt he'd be interested, but I think he could make a hell of a good one. Always thought his version of 'Beast from 2,000 Fathoms' or a Godzilla movie could be imbued with profound drama and spectacle. He'd probably make Godzilla terrifying again, and not an overgrown intersectional environmental studies undergrad (who last we saw tried to 'heal the world' with.... toxic radiation! Good thinking.)

Example: Nolan with Batman. He had a compelling point of view and respect for the character. WB: Hire a director who can see what you apparently can't!

8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

sunspot42 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. I think they want a women director (rightly so) and Kathryn Bigelow (Hurt Locker) would be ideal. She has shown she can direct great dramatic tension even in a non action drama. Her films are smart and full of tension.

jpelg, Dubmart, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I imagine Gal Gadot has a huge say . . .

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, this--Gadot would probably want Jenkins back again for a third movie and not have to deal with a new director.

Seems highly unlikely we'll ever get a Scorsese superhero flick--closest to that was probably him being attached to produce Joker early on, but dropped out (though the movie ended up being imbued with his filmic sensibility through and through).

Nolan was an example of DC/Warners taking a chance on a largely unproven up and comer. They haven't done that much since. Marvel uses far more up and comers for their movies, yet still retains a pretty tight "house style" over them.

I seriously doubt anything will come of this. They're still screwing around with the 2017 movie as if anyone cares besides a contingent of loud fanboys on the internet.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Always thought he'd make a good Daredevil film.

14. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

saw WW84 last night I loved it

Chrome_Head and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Me too, but... good luck firing a female director these days. There's not even clear evidence that the film bombed because of its release at the time of the pandemic.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Without knowing more about the history of the project, it's hard to fault the director. What we're seeing could just as easily be the result of studio interference. Given how awful many of the other DC films have been, it seems more likely it's a problem with the studio and not the director(s).

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Legit question for people here—what were you expecting out of a sequel? I liked the first film well enough, but it’s no cinematic masterpiece itself, and IMO has the same problems as many of the DC Universe movies. I did think it was one of the stronger DC flicks due to Gadot’s portrayal, however.

Chris DeVoe and GentleSenator like this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Read some wishy- washy reviews for this and wasn't even considering seeing it but then I saw it was available on Prime . For $30. Pass.

19. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

So glad my HBO max comes with my sub through my cable co. Paying any more for this disjointed, poorly conceived, and poorly written film would have sent me over the edge. The concept of the two villains was a terrible idea. Focus on one and you tighten things up IMO. Cheetah may have been too thin a concept for full film so she (a female villain in a female directed/star super hero film) was tacked into the other villains world. Effects sucked for the most part, 80’s theme just dumb and poorly executed, and the whole Steve Trevor in another guys body-WTF. Just to have him ripped away from Diana a second time. Oof. Let’s hope number 3 is given time to come up with a more coherent plot.

Curveboy and GentleSenator like this.
  20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

What the heck was the Hallmark Movie Christmas scene at the end? It was almost a parody? Were they serious? Did they add this part in late as the movie got moved to a Christmas release? It was awful, that scene, the backgrounds, et al

mmars982 likes this.
  21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I think I can see wh
    ?????

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I wondered the same thing, so I did some searching. The ending was put there originally because the movie was always intended to be released around Christmas (in 2019). When it was changed to be released in the summer, they considered shooting a different ending but determined it would be too expensive. The fact that it ended up being released on Christmas day makes it seem appropriate, although it didn't have anything to do with anything else going on.
    /SPOILER]

Paul Gase likes this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ugh, a disappointment.

The bad:
    • There was zero point in setting it in 1984. The costumes weren’t good/accurate, nor was the hair styling, and there wasn’t even a good 80’s soundtrack to lift up parts of the film.
    • Too long.
    • So much needless melodrama, yes I realize it’s a popcorn movie.
    • The plot was a total mess, yes I realize it’s a popcorn movie.
    The good:
    • The gold suit looked kinda neat.
    • The fight sequences were decent.
    • Good trailer.
    Probably would have been OK if there was a decent script. I’m not expecting “Tenet” levels of ingenuity here, but just keep it simple, dial back the melodrama two notches and have more fun with the concept.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My mind keeps drifting back to Atomic Blonde...if you haven't seen it, do.
    Incredible 80's soundtrack, great story and some amazing action sequences.

And I'm sticking with my assessment that they went full on Batman Forever here...brighter colors to appeal to the kids...tone down the overall violence and

a villain using a machine to touch everyone's minds

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Curveboy likes this.