Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

4. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

One would have thought that including the Supersonic footage would be an easy decision. They were preparing video content anyway, and another 10 minutes or so wouldn't have strained technical limits. Plus the songs are unique re-recordings, making the TV appearance more essential than if they had simply mimed to the records.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

JediJoker and Neonbeam like this.
  10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Just spent some time on the TV Special remix, really does freshen up this album for me. wow that tv show was kinda silly for sure, but was nice to see the band mugging it up anyway.

E_Braunn_Fan, Plan9, Keith V and 3 others like this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I think the TV version makes a better album.

DPM, E_Braunn_Fan and culabula like this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

By far.

E_Braunn_Fan and Keith V like this.
  13. SJB

The TV special wasn't a remix, it was an entirely new recording, to get around Musicians' Union rules about miming. (The band obviously mimed the TV performance, but they couldn't mime to the record.) The recording was made much more quickly than the album, so it sounds fresher and less fussy than the original album.

Runicen, slipkid, DPM and 3 others like this.
  14. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

But nevertheless it is a remix of the tv special, just as he wrote

Keith V and Neonbeam like this.
  15. SJB

True enough! Whatever one calls it, I'm glad it's available. It's too bad they didn't include the two 1976 Supersonic performances on the DVD, but at least they're on the band's official YouTube channel.

slipkid, folkfreak, anth67 and 3 others like this.
  16. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

It is fun to watch and it should be included on the box sets. All video they have should be on the box sets. It is always fun to watch John Evan.

Does Martin really need a double neck electric guitar for this song? Trivia, has Martin ever used the double neck in concert?

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Never saw this before. John playing claves on Barrie's helmet. :)

Ian sings the first verse twice. If I recall right he doesn't like the second verse.

18. summerteeth

summerteeth Subterranean Homesick Alien

Reviving this thread for no reason other than to offer a few observations that will probably bore you and might even anger others. It's really long and really offers nothing new. I'd skip if I were you.

• First, I am a long, long-time Tull fan. In 1973, at 13 I purchased (received) Dark Side of the Moon, which led to Meddle, and then on to Fragile, and Aqualung.
    • 'Only marginally liked Meddle, so I was done with Floyd until Wish You Were Here.
    • The Yes Album was good, Close to the Edge, better.
    • But Thick as a Brick, Benefit and Stand Up (along with Aqualung of course) became my new favorites.
    • Living in the Past then blew my mind, and the sometimes-overwrought A Passion Play had brilliant moments and seemed at least a decent follow-up to Thick as a Brick, while This Was seemed like a different band but still pretty good.
    • Moving forward, getting older, I found War Child troubling, Minstrel in the Gallery magnificent, and Too Old to Rock and Roll, again, troubling.
    • And then came the great trio of Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, and Stormwatch.
    • Meanwhile, Bursting Out was (at the time) a perfect live summary of the band I saw in Atlanta in 1979 (still have the tour shirt: a tied bandana hanging from a flute).

• As the years went by, I became less and less interested in Tull. Broadsword had a few great songs but seemed less lyrically 'weighty', and Under Wraps was when I had one of those "Greil Marcus/Dylan/Self Portrait" moments.
    • That was it for me. Over the years I made tape compilations to play in the car - always full albums, with the exception of War Child (just 3 songs: Skating, Bungle, & Solitaire) and Too Old to Rock and Roll... (only 3 songs: Quiz Kid, Salamander, and the title track). These 6 songs were combined with Rainbow Blues, the "guitar" (quad?) mix of Locomotive Breath, the single mixes from TAAB and APP (all from M.U.), a couple tracks from -A-, 5 tracks from Broadsword, and a couple from Under Wraps. As you can imagine, this made for a needlessly jarring and unsatisfying listening experience.
    • At this point, CDs were becoming popular, and though it would be a couple of years before I had a car player, I basically stopped making tapes.
    • I started 'replacing' my vinyl with CDs and for the most part re-purchased everything, the exceptions being War Child and Too Old.
    • I also began duplicating my mixtapes in CD-R (the 20th and 25th Anniversary boxes enabled me to gather up the 6 tracks from those two albums).
    • For the next 20+ years, my Tull experience remained frozen in time.

• Then the reissues started appearing. No, I didn't spring for the boxes, but Apple Music enabled me to hear all the bonus tracks, and I found the Steve Wilson remixes revelatory (even in M4A!).
    • Having happily consumed all of them, save two: War Child and Too Old, I recently found myself with too much time on my hands, so I decided to go back to them.
    • I've spent the last couple of weeks (not solidly) immersed in both and have the following impressions:

• I was surprised to find that I had unfairly maligned Too Old to Rock and Roll..., yet my opinion of War Child remained the same.
    • I can't say if it's the (superior-sounding) new TV remix for Too Old that did it for me or what, but the new remix for War Child didn't prompt me to like that album any better. In fact, it sounded even more dated than before (the keyboards, too much sax, the odd vocalizations and extraneous sounds).
    • I have now completed sorting all of the reissues, keeping the proper albums as they were released. The worthy but unreleased tracks up to 1973 are thrown onto the end of Living in the Past, and the worthy but unreleased tracks from 1974-78 are grouped in my own version of Living with the Past (reusing the title and cover art of that superfluous live album).
    • Oddly enough, I included more War Child unreleased tracks on this compilation than I kept for War Child proper.
    • Bottom line: While Too Old to Rock and Roll remains a distinct tier lower than the best of Tull, it's still a tier higher than War Child (which at this point, I consider lesser than This Was and -A- and only marginally better than Under Wraps. FWIW, I'll reserve judgment on anything from Broadsword to the present until/if those reissues are released).
    • I apologize for all of this. No one I know these days cares at all about Jethro Tull ("that heavy metal band?"), so I felt compelled to put my thoughts somewhere.
    • Carry on

[​IMG]

slipkid, Runicen, Sordel and 8 others like this.
  19. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

my fave songs on Warchild are the first two tracks warchild and queen and country. I also love good godmother, glory row and March the mad scientist. There’s enough strong material to make a pretty good album. Wish they just made an album instead of a soundtrack

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Un(?)fortunately I'm too young to have bought these albums as they came out but your observations mirror what the older Tull and prog fans at my school said. The - then - not so highly regarded albums usually were "A Passion Play", "Warchild" and "Too Old". And everything from "A" onwards but that is another story. :whistle:

So it was actually interesting to read a current evaluation from someone who might roughly be the same generation as those fans from waaaaaaay back. Cool t-shirt btw!

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.