Barnes & Noble 50% Off Vinyl Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Vinyljunkie22, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

black sheriff likes this.
  2. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

It's really bad customer service. I've had so many good results from many different stores that when I come across a store like this I just avoid them and don't do business with them! Shame.

Shawn likes this.
  3. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Too bad, I've heard you have to collect them all! :eek:

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

My local B&N (Marlton NJ) didn't have a ton of stuff for sale, but I did end up with Robert Plant - Carry Fire, Brian Wilson Anthology, Jesus & Mary Chain Singles, and John Hiatt's Eclipse Sessions (autographed).

Jspmike likes this.
  5. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Listening to this now - agree it is FANTASTIC!

6. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

It's a good-sized music department and used to be well stocked, years ago. Like your store, most of the action is downstairs in the book department and at Starbucks.

This part of Miami is mostly Latino. Stuff that flies off shelves elsewhere will just sit on shelves here. Especially an older artist like McCartney.

Vinyljunkie22 and Jspmike like this.
  7. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been on an '80s kick and had a random urge to buy Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses which for some reason I've never pulled the trigger on before after seeing it in the store multiple times. They are now OOP and going for $50-$80 on ebay. All record stores and Barnes and Noble online is sold out. Started typing in random zip codes into the search and found one in New York somewhere. Called the store, they found it and I just bought it over the phone for $20. Got free shipping with my Barnes and Noble membership too. I'm a little concerned though about how they are going to ship it to me though, they said they don't have record mailers and I told them to wrap it in bubble wrap tightly so it's not bouncing around in the box. I can envision USPS throwing the box like a football across the warehouse or it being crushed under a TV or something. Hoping for no seam splits or corner dings but maybe I should just be grateful I found one at all for that price.

8. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you look at Barnes and Noble inventory, it's carefully targeted towards the older, baby-boomer (ie. white male) demographic along with some carefully chosen, critcally acclaimed contemporary pop, rock, and jazz selections. They aren't selling records from niche, underground indie rock labels. Basically the classic stuff that is on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time List. But it makes good business sense because those are the people with the most discretionary spending income.

Jspmike likes this.
  9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Like I said, this is not that kind of neighborhood.

Vinyljunkie22 likes this.
  10. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Great result on the Depeche Mode! I got that and a couple of others of theirs in the sale last year. The fact that the store was honest with you about the packaging will hopefully mean that they will pack it well. With the Christmas rush over the people doing Ship From Store are a lot less stressed. Let us know how it works out for you.

Vinyljunkie22 likes this.
  11. U2Achtung1

U2Achtung1 Forum Resident

Are a lot of the Depeche Mode LPs OOP? I recently picked up Songs of Faith and Devotion at a nearby indie store that had 25% off all Vinyl, so got it for $15. Didn't open it yet, but the back says "this pressings C 2007 Sire Records."

12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I went back to my closest store today. A couple of albums that I left in the bins were nagging at me. I checked on-line and they were still listed as available so I made the run and got both of them: "Oczy Mlody" by Flaming Lips and "Lighthouse" by David Crosby. The stock at that location had been picked over pretty well so I think I'm done.

Thesmellofvinyl and Jspmike like this.
  13. U2Achtung1

Has anyone picked up Cry of Love by Jimi Hendrix? I see a nearby store has it, and it was part of the 50% off last time, so it should be $10. I'll try to get it if the pressing is worth it.

14. AnnoyedRob228

AnnoyedRob228 Forum Resident

I picked up the Earl Hines tour de force B&N Exclusive. I passed on Styx, Roy Orbison, Weezer and Elvis.

15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Just found J&MC 21 singles and a mistakenly stickered McCartney Band On The Run. Got about 5 minutes of flak before they honored the price. Additional 10% worked on that one making it $10 & change.

Bob J, Jspmike, dee and 1 other person like this.
  16. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

The manifest thing is a bit of crapshoot, as a local store told me they don't ship from store-to-store. Probably only certain stores can or will manifest. A second store told me they while I can purchase something over the phone, they would never mail it to a customer, has to be picked up in the store. So basically, you have to hope the item you want is in a local store.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  17. My experience calling non-local stores is different - they all shipped to me at my home. Some even gave me free shipping when I didn’t actually qualify for it. Guessing I’ve called 10 different stores over the last two years to have LPs mailed to me directly.

Bob J, dee and Jspmike like this.
  18. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience. I've had things manifested from all over the country to the store I work at (probably over 100 records for myself and customers). I think there's only one store on the west coast that has refused to manifest a record to me (Gilroy) and even then they were willing to take payment over the phone. I do know that no store in the state of Utah will do it. At the store I work at we can take payment over the phone for a record and mail it to a customer (although for some reason we can't send it to a PO Box). Like I've said before - these records are just sitting on the shelves and have been for a while - it's in the stores interests to get the sale. My suggestion would be to ring a different store that has an album you want and hopefully they will be willing to ship it to you.

SJP and Shawn like this.
  19. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Me too. The specific stores that seemed more than happy to take my online order and mail to me were Glendora, Merced, and Stockton FWIW.

20. And I’ll continue to mention that B&N employees that I’ve spoken to in person or on the phone have been some of the most pleasant and helpful employees I encounter. Really wonderful staff, even if they won’t manifest from my local store :)

21. shnaggletooth

Mixed luck here in NJ. Morris Plains store said 'no' to manifests , and Livingston said no to shipping (I've got something on hold in Livingston which I'd like to manifest to Morris Plains, closer store). I finally called the Paramus store, which said they might manifest something (if item is non-orderable online) , but employee didn't sound too enthusiastic about it. I used to work for another NJ B&N, and manifesting must be a more recent thing.

Shawn likes this.
  22. shnaggletooth

Ok, managed to order a few things through Paramus, shipped to home, but not free shipping (bc I'm not a B&N card member). Unable to deliver to store for free pickup, had to be shipped to home. But what I got was 50%, which I wouldn't have been able to get if ordered online. They inquired from another store about manifests, and determined that B&N will only manifest to stores within their own district due to costs. I ordered the 2LP Peter Gabriel "US" from a store in NC, 50% off plus shipping (this is where Paramus was unable to manifest from).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  23. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

superstar19 and Shawn like this.
  24. U2Achtung1

I went to one that was supposed to have the red exclusive Joan Baez S/T in stock but didn't see it.

Picked up Cry of Love by Jimi Hendrix, Avalon by Roxy Music, California Nights by Best Coast and Patch the Sky (with autographed art print) by Bob Mould. Tried to resist some more.

Avalon I wasn't sure about. It was $15 with the discount, which is fine, but I've seen 80s copies in indie stores for like $5-10. Does anyone have it? It's odd in that the sleeve is larger than normal. I think it's 1/2 speed too. From 2017.

25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Avalon is a nice pressing. My first copy, incidentally purchased from B&N, had a flaw. I recall that it skipped. I exchanged it and the new copy was perfect and a great sounding album.

I have that Bob Mould as well. Holy smoke, I only paid $9.49 according to my Discogs. Sure enough, I certainly bought it at last year's B&N sale. With Best Coast as well, you have a really nice haul. Congrats!

U2Achtung1 and Jspmike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.