Best record store in Charlotte, North Carolina?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by hitmanhart408, Jan 18, 2020.

1. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I'm hoping I get can get some recommendations on the best record stores in Charlotte preferably near downtown. I'll be there for work this week and will have 4-5 hours to kill before heading back to the airport.

Thanks!!

2. Howlin Fester

Howlin Fester Active Member

I just went to Manifest records two weeks ago while in town. I WISH I had 4-5 hours to spend there. Alas, I had to rush through in 30 minutes.

Bring an empty suitcase.

Blastproof and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  3. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Isn’t Manifest just an FYE? The only time I was there they were in the process of changing over.

4. Howlin Fester

I don't know if Manifest was FYE or not. If it is, it is the largest one I have ever seen. It is in a strip mall on south Blvd. It is the same size or larger than Zia Records west in Vegas. That was the largest music store I've been in prior to Manifest.

It was sufficiently stocked enough to take my available money and wish I had more time.

5. Howlin Fester

I should clarify that I am from Raleigh NC. We have a bunch of smaller record stores in town but nothing that is the scope of Zia or Manifest.

In addition, I've only been to Char, Vegas, and Raleigh searching for records. And Orlando for used CDs. Only back into vinyl since 2018.

Another good one is Lunchbox records. I visited it a few years ago. It is also an excellent locally owned record store closer to Uptown Charlotte. (Char calls their downtown area "Uptown") You could easily spend time there then run down to Manifest. Both are relatively close to each other if you are not in peak drive time.

Blastproof likes this.
  6. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

about 3-4 years back had a chance to pop into couple of them (on a Black Friday) which if I recollect had decent collection including the RSD stuff - Lunchbox was one of them but I can't remember the name of the other.

Blastproof likes this.
  7. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went to Repo Records briefly because it was the closest store to where I was downtown. I walked in and the store had that old school vibe so I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately the very large rock selection was placed vertical so you had to twist your neck to look at the spine one by one. I quickly lost patience. They also had a lot of brand new records so not exactly the “old school” used vibe i initially hoped for. Prices seemed reasonable though.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’ve only been to Lunchbox and it was excellent :cheers:

Lastomykind, troggy and Blastproof like this.
  9. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I was working in NC earlier this week, I made a point to visit Manifest Discs. Excellent store - it took me a while to find it because their sign was unlit and it was dark.
    I wish I could've spent a lttle more time there - It's a big place - I still managed to drop $100. . . ..
    In speaking with the guys on the counter they told me that they were no longer owned by FYE but were now owned by HMV!

Blastproof likes this.
  10. Tommy Burton

Tommy Burton Forum Resident

If you want to find the rare and hard-to-find stuff, it's worth the drive out to Matthews and paying a visit to Noble Records. That dude finds some crazy stuff and is constantly getting excellent things of all genres. And his prices are fair. It's worth it just to follow him on Instagram just to see the amazing stuff he is always stocking the store with.

I have been to Manifest one time. It was a couple of years ago. It is huge. And there is plenty to dig around for. And I could tell it was an FYE (at the time). But if size matters, then it's worth a look.

Lunchbox has tons of great new stuff. Also great for Record Store Day titles. I have not been overly impressed with their used selections.

Repo. Ah, Repo. Aside from the above mentioned way the records are shelved, they also keep the records in sealed baggies. If you want to look at the information, like label and dead wax, you have to take it to the front and one of the employees takes it out. This is super annoying. The owner, Jimmy, can be a notorious grump. He yelled at a friend of mine, who is a regular customer, about not reaching out on FB regarding RSD releases. I wanted to yell back at him that my friend doesn't even do FB. Just not a pleasant experience. But, I will admit, he has a great selection of Beatles and solo Beatles. If that's your thing, check it out.

There is also a place in Kannapolis (just outside Charlotte) called Recyclable Records. Worth the drive. It isn't a huge selection, but the owner is very cool. They also do RSD.

A couple of blocks from Recyclable is another store. It was closed when I was there (on RSD, nonetheless), but it looks like it might be worth a stop for digging.

Here's my ranking of Charlotte-area record store (that I've been to):
    1. Noble Records (A collector's dream)
    2. Recyclable Records (Small, but friendly)
    3. Lunchbox Records (Really almost a tie with 2. If it's new, then this is the place.)
    4. Manifest (Big. Plan on spending some time, but the used stuff is pretty common.)
    5. Repo (Interesting selection, great Beatles, but definitely a hassle if you want to inspect your records before buying them.)

TB

JDeanB and keef00 like this.
  11. live evil

live evil Senior Member

If you are staying uptown, and you don’t have a car, you can take the light rail to Manifest.

12. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident

I will also put in a plug for Noble Records. Guy that runs that place is a really down to earth and just overall good dude.

Rupe33, Blastproof and Tommy Burton like this.
  13. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Good to hear about Noble. I moved out of Charlotte about three years ago and have not been to the stores in over a year. At some point, I hope to get back to check out the stores.

Tommy Burton likes this.
  14. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Interesting. Manifest used to be an independent store before they were purchased by FYE. I didn't care for some of the changes that happened, such as when they became as much merchandise as music. But I almost always found good stuff. (I am more a CD person than vinyl,) I used to work a couple of miles from the store and was 'one of the regulars'.
    Anyone else remember when Repo was on Central Avenue in the 90s? The store disappeared for a number of years before returning at the current location.
    Heck...I remember that wonderful Grapevine store on Independence!
    I personally don't find Lunchbox to be particularly welcoming--I'm long passed the age of being young and hip. They do have some interesting new vinyl.
    Is Noble a vinyl only store?

keef00 likes this.
  15. Tommy Burton

Noble is mainly vinyl. I think he has a smattering of used CDs and such, but just a smattering. He's all about the wax.
    TB

16. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I finally made it out to Noble Records last week, and was mildly disappointed. Lots of the same old stuff, except the "just in" bin was dominated by Metal picture discs. I left empty-handed, but I'll give it another go when I'm on that side of town again.

17. Tommy Burton

It's been a few months since I've been. a lot of his inventory depends on the collections he buys. I'd advise you to stay tuned to social media accounts to keep up with what he's getting. From what I gather, he tends to drop his newest and best stuff on Saturdays. Whenever he has a big drop, he'll show it on his Instagram and Facebook pages.
    TB

18. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Holy serendipity. I was just wondering about this question. We are fortunate enough to be returning to the Charlotte area soon. We lived near there about 10 years ago, and my eyes bugged out when I saw this thread. My two favorite places then were Lunchbox and Manifest. The best part about Manifest, besides the tremendous selection (of all kinds of things,) is that it wasn't far from Mac's Speed Shop - a good barbecue restaurant. Anxious to get back!

19. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Manifest and Lunchbox are doing well. I believe COVID got the best of Mac’s, though. Seems like they had to close.

Blastproof likes this.
  20. bigsales

bigsales Member

what record store in Raleigh do you like best?

21. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Yesterday, I went to Manifest for the first time in years. The smell inside that store is what struck me first. It smells like interesting finds. It's still the same big store, but I noticed that a big chunk of it is dedicated to video now, which does not appeal to me. The new CDs were the most varied I've seen in years. There are lots of obscure titles, but nothing grabbed me. The new vinyl section is big enough, but there were a lot of empty sections. I went for one album, but they didn't have it - in any format. I wound up spending $41 on two things: a different new LP, and a used 2-disc CD. Glad I went. Lunchbox will be next.

22. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Just saw that Manifest is closing. Sad day for Charlotte.

23. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Yeah. Got the Facebook post this morning. Very sad. Guess I’ll go tomorrow and see if I can use my store credit on a few things. I sure hate to see it go.

JDeanB likes this.
  24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I went today for the first time in about 8 months. Most of the good or expensive stuff has been picked clean. I bought a few used CDs. Still plenty left of new vinyl but nothing for me. I’ve been priced out of new vinyl for the last few years. 30% off new vinyl isn’t bad though.
    Before it was sold to FYE a number of years back I used to go about every Saturday morning. It’s been a shell of its former self for a few years now IMO.
    It is a sad day though. I have been going to Manifest since 2000. I’ve spent more than a few thousand there easily of the years. Manifest will be missed.

Pat

Mark B. and JDeanB like this.
  25. Tommy Burton

I want to add another (newish) place to the list here: Hardy Boys Records and Comics. It's on the second floor of a boutique shop in Mint Hill (outside of Charlotte). He is constantly getting good stuff that usually drops on Saturday. His prices are beyond fair and he has tons of cools stuff. He'll also haggle a little, but you've got to catch him there, which is usually Saturdays. He's constantly getting decent stuff. He also has a decent selection of new LPs and used CDs. Definitely worth a look.